Author Topic: DBSIG: British Home Children.  (Read 47462 times)

Offline alanmack

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A RootsChat database for British Home Children.
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 02 April 15 16:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your feedback, glad you like it :)

Well, here's a bit more  :o

Those "bits" are already operational.  Go to the page view of any of your ancestors and look at the bottom of the page.

Thank you Bob for the pointers. My confusion lay in not realising that the little icon on the Lhs was anything other than decoration. Would a tooltip be possible? (other than "Shift+R etc") Clicking on the surname only brings up a list of persons with that name, also confusing. I was also wondering about the usefulness if the ship's name included the year e.g. 1909 : Scythian and 1911 : Scythian were separate entities for sorting. Not foolproof as some ships made three trips a year but gives a tighter search result.

alanmack
Glamorgan - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Watkins, Rees, Bevan
Wiltshire - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Merrett
Essex - Burdon, Taylor, Menzies
Canada - Burdon, Parkinson
Australia - Carpenter, Burdon

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 02 April 15 17:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,

If you hover with the mouse over that "little icon" you should see a tooltip "Page view" (see also the Help page from my previous reply.

I was also wondering about the usefulness if the ship's name included the year e.g. 1909 : Scythian and 1911 : Scythian were separate entities for sorting. Not foolproof as some ships made three trips a year but gives a tighter search result.
That seemed the quickest way for the Quick Search. But it does bring up a lot of hits, so I'll have a think about that one.

And you can always enter the ship's name and year in the Advanced Search, if you (or anybody) are really interested in just one year :)

regards,
Bob

Reference Library » Database for Special Interest Groups DBSIG
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 02 April 15 17:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your feedback, glad you like it :)

When the bits for adding extra info & adding myself as researcher are operational, I have a lot more info/detail regarding him to add.

Those "bits" are already operational.  Go to the page view of any of your ancestors and look at the bottom of the page.

see also: http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/dbsig-help.php?dbsig_num=1&show=gi#gi

regards,
Bob

Hi Bob,

Many thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

I hadn't realised those 'bits' were operational. My apologies, I shall go & take a closer look & see about adding myself as researcher as well as adding other info to the record for my family member.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline alanmack

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 02 April 15 19:25 BST (UK) »
If you hover with the mouse over that "little icon" you should see a tooltip "Page view" (see also the Help page from my previous reply.

Not working for me I'm afraid - just getting the text "Shift+R etc . . .". Whereas the tooltip shows "View Forum Profile" then all the Shift+R stuff against the icon by my handle as researcher for my two Burdons.

And you can always enter the ship's name and year in the Advanced Search, if you (or anybody) are really interested in just one year

Agreed.

alanmack
Glamorgan - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Watkins, Rees, Bevan
Wiltshire - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Merrett
Essex - Burdon, Taylor, Menzies
Canada - Burdon, Parkinson
Australia - Carpenter, Burdon

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 03 April 15 11:02 BST (UK) »
The reason why this is happening is more of a general nature, so I've split off the discussion to a new topic in "Technical Help"

Topic: Unexpected "tooltips" in browser
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=717285.0

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DBSIG: British Home Children.
« Reply #23 on: Friday 10 April 15 16:30 BST (UK) »
The British Home Children database is "open for business" :)

You can find it by clicking on the link at the bottom of any RootsChat page:
Reference Library  and then clicking on
Database for Special Interest Groups DBSIG and selecting British Home Children

There is a Help page too,
direct link: http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/dbsig-help.php?dbsig_num=1&show=gi#gi
(some of the images need renewing, but the basic details are all there)

Over 21000 records have been added from the original database, so before adding your data, please search it carefully, to see if your records are already there.

If you find any records of your ancestors (or research interests), you can add yourself to the list of researchers for this person, add comments to the record, and contact the submitter per PM.

If there is no submitter (e.g. original database) then please post on the topic:
A Rootschat Database for British Home Children
or contact the Data Coordinators.

The Data Coordinators for the "DBSIG British Home Children" :

KarenM  and  mollipops1

For technical questions, problems and suggestions for improvements, please post on this topic here !

Enjoy,
Bob

Offline JennRac

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 13 April 15 01:48 BST (UK) »
This is great, can't wait until all the records are uploaded! So far my ancestor's information hasn't been uploaded!

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 13 April 15 07:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenn,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

I have now uploaded all the records from the orginal database.
If your ancesters records are not there, you can now add them yourself.

regards,
Bob

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 17 April 15 19:32 BST (UK) »
As some ships made several sailings a year to Canada, I've added the "Month of Arrival" to the table view in the QuickSearch.

And in the AdvancedSearch you can also enter the Month of Arrival, so you can now use these three facts - ship, year and month - to get all passengers (in the database) from that particular voyage.

regards,
Bob