Author Topic: DBSIG: British Home Children.  (Read 47506 times)

Offline janismccahill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DBSIG: British Home Children.
« Reply #45 on: Monday 17 April 17 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob
Sorry to bother you again. I tried both suggestions. It's not working for me.
Thanks for trying
Janis

Offline janismccahill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 06 May 17 01:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob,
I am now able to add to the database. Thanks for your help.
Janis

Offline DFKBurr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 06 May 17 03:12 BST (UK) »
I had submitted records for two sisters who were BHC to the Perry Snow Database in 2010. I now have significant more information on these two sisters. Significantly these children left England 118 years ago today. Bertha Hilda Winters (name sometimes recorded as Winter) was born June quarter 1891 in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire, England. Her sister Ethel May Winters was born in September 1892. Their brother Herbert Mays Winters was born in March 1894 and their baby sister Gladys Grace was born in September 1896. They were the children of Robert John Winters and Mary Naomi Bridges. Mary Naomi, died in the December quarter of 1896 leaving Robert with 4 young children, the oldest only 6 years old. On May 5, 1899 the three oldest children came to Canada with the Annie McPherson agency. They sailed on the Gallia and were sent to Stratford Ontario. By the 1901 census Bertha was living with the Sparling family in Plympton Twp. Lambton County Ontario and her sister Ethel was living with the Core family in nearby Forest, Ontario. (this family is related to my husband).  I have not yet been able to find Herbert in 1901. Little Gladys is living with her father as lodgers still in Cambridgeshire, England. Once I had found the parents of the Winters children I was able to track them here in Canada. In 1914 Bertha married another BHC named Frederick Pike. In 1920 the sisters sent for Gladys and the ships records indicate her passage was paid for by her sister Ethel and in 1921 Gladys is living with her sister Bertha and her family. In 1925 Ethel married Arthur Hastings in Port Huron, Michigan. I picked up the trail of Herbert and found him living in New York State where he joined the US Army near the end of WW1. Herbert remained in the US and after his death, his sister Ethel applied for and received a military headstone for him, which is placed in the Lakeside Cemetery in Port Huron. Gladys never married and Herbert may have been married and divorced but neither of them had children. Bertha and her husband Fred Pike had 8 children and Ethel and her husband Arthur Hastings had one daughter. The most heart warming part of this story of such young children being sent to Canada and separated, is that they appear to have stayed in touch all of their lives.

Offline mollipops1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 07 May 17 09:59 BST (UK) »
That is great - thank you, what a lot of valuable information. How wonderful that the siblings were reunited, as that so often did not happen.

I will update the profiles :)

Offline janetm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 07 August 17 13:54 BST (UK) »
My person of interest Walter Lotto who arrived in Canada on the SS Manitoban in 1881 is not on the database yet, I have been in touch with the Quarriers website and they are sending me all details they have of Walter, his family and hopefully where he was sent to after arriving at Marchmont Home.  I do have a website which may be of interest to anyone who has ancestors from the Quarrier Homes :
http://content.iriss.org.uk/goldenbridge/index.html

Just out of curiosity will the children from the Manitoban be added? This vessel does not appear in the immigration reports as having carried children but it did have a Quarrier party on board. Miss Billbrough and Miss Quarrier were in charge of the children.
All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

Offline mollipops1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 01:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you janetm - very interesting!

I have found this listing - https://personal.uwaterloo.ca/marj/genealogy/children/manitoban.html

This shows all the children - quite a few, mostly from Scotland.

I will take a look at the details and this should be added to the database in the near future.

Offline janetm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 05:53 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, there are many sites with the children from the Manitoban :)
All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 10:49 BST (UK) »

Many thanks for this invaluable research aid Bob.

My two Great Uncles, Ernest Henry and Norman Claude WARREN (British Home Children) are on there.

I found the Site very easy to navigate.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline James Abinger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 13:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Mollypops,
I notice you edited the roots.chat.com profile of Elizabeth Winkle http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/dbsig-quick-search.php?dbsig_num=1&p1_county_code=STS&view=16117

I would like to communicate with you about this profile, since my research has revealed quite a lot more information about Elizabeth and her ancestry. I would also like to know who posted the original information, as I wish to contact descendants of Elizabeth who may be still living in the Stoke-upon-Trent area of England.

Is there a way that I can post a request on this site for descendants or other interested family members to contact me ?

Thank you.

James