Author Topic: A Rootschat Database for British Home Children  (Read 58730 times)

Offline richardgreen1908

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A Rootschat Database for British Home Children
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 22:06 BST (UK) »
Karen

my Great Uncle Ernest Green is not included in your database. He is recorded in passenger lists, the LAC database, Ups & Downs Magazine and the 1901 census. What should I do to get him added?

regards

Richard Green

Offline alanmack

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 20 June 15 00:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard,
           And a warm welcome to RootsChat. Sorry about the delay. Karen seems to be unavailable at the moment so perhaps I'd better step in as the other Data Co-ordinator fot the BHC database.

I concur - your G. Uncle Ernest Green is absent from our database and thank you for checking.

To add his name just log in to RootsChat, go to the BHC data home page,

http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/index.php?dbsig_name=British+Home+Children

. . . and choose Add Record. Fill in as much detail in the various fields as you know feel happy to include, add your name as researcher too (bottom right) and then "Save Record". As the originator you have the right to edit the record, so if you want to add more details or change anything later you alone can.

One other thing that you might do is to make a couple more posts (reply to this one twice more perhaps) to get your score up to three. Then the Personal Message (PM) system becomes available to you to send/receive contacts from other members.

alanmack
Glamorgan - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Watkins, Rees, Bevan
Wiltshire - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Merrett
Essex - Burdon, Taylor, Menzies
Canada - Burdon, Parkinson
Australia - Carpenter, Burdon

Offline richardgreen1908

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 20 June 15 16:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Alan. I'll see if I can input the record. I tried once on my iPad but it would not open so perhaps it will work on the PC.

regards

Richard

Offline richardgreen1908

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 20 June 15 17:02 BST (UK) »
And here's my extra message so that I can use the PMs!

Offline jlnorthrup

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 21 June 15 16:05 BST (UK) »
Hello! I'm so glad to see the database again! I found a couple of errors in information for two of my BHC girls and requested to edit (have to get to three postings to message?). I also contributed some of the information on my Great-Grandmother, Emily Chaplin, in the original database, and wondered if I can be added to that? Or should I just be listed as a researcher? The work that you all have done on this is amazing. Thank you!
Chaplin, Emburey, Stevenson

Offline alanmack

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 21 June 15 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to RootsChat,

I made the changes from the Reader's Comment you posted earlier today and was about to PM you when I noticed your score was less than three, so I'm pleased to see you have raised the number so I can be sure you can read the PM which I shall now write.  :D

alanmack

Offline Rainbow Quartz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 21 June 15 19:24 BST (UK) »
Only just found this thread! (mind you, I've been on hols for the past two weeks, but obviously missed the earlier posts). I looked to see if my uncle, John Oliver North, was in the database, but couldn't find him, so I've added a new record. He was the middle son of seven children, and apparently my grandfather just decided to send him away to Canada as a 'Home Child'. My cousin says that my grandfather was supposed to give him 10 shillings (10 'bob' to us!), but at the last minute changed his mind and sent my poor uncle, aged 14, off on his own. When he arrived in Quebec, in 1928, he had nowhere to go and no money, and ended up as a vagrant. However, he did do well for himself, got a good job, got married and had two daughters, and lived into his eighties, and I did meet him twice when he came back to England to visit family. I was very young at the time though and can't remember much about him, and of course didn't ask all those important questions ???
Thanks to all for setting up the database, a great addition to the categories of information about our families. 8)
Jewell - Devon, Cornwall and Manchester
North - Somerset, Devon, Dorset, Cardiff and Warrington
Rowe - Devon, Dorset
Oliver - Somerset

Offline dmoore03

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 19:22 BST (UK) »
I would like to update my fathers info on the BHC database can that be done?
Father: Thomas Moore

David Moore (son)

Offline alanmack

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi David,
             Welcome to RootsChat and to the BHC database. The process of getting changes made is fairly easy, but as the record you refer to is part of the "Original Database" any editing will be done by us, the Data Co-ordinators (KarenM and alanmack), for the time being at least. All you have to do is put the changes in a Reader's Comment and Save the record. We will then action it accordingly.

However, there seem to be matters needing discussion about that record, so you need to get your RootsChat post score up to three before the Personal message (PM) system becomes available to us. Please answer this thread twice more and I will PM you before we go further.

alanmack