Author Topic: A Rootschat Database for British Home Children  (Read 58731 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: A Rootschat Database for British Home Children
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 05 September 15 11:10 BST (UK) »
Welcome To RootsChat

Can you give us a few details to start the search - name, year of birth, parents and anything else you know.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline mogwood

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 05 September 15 23:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Sandra, and thanks for your welcome, & offer of help.

The name in the database is Jane Godan, aka Godsan, Godson, and she arrived in Canada on 2 August 1901 on the 'Parisian'.  She was sent by the Barnardos agency. 

What I know:
I had previously found a Jane Godsan (sic) in the Dr Barnardos Home at Barkinside & Ilford,
Essex, England - 1901 census, RG13 piece 1652, folio 91, page 22.  I believe that she is part of my extended family (sister of my direct line), as I have been unable to find anything about her anywhere else - birth & baptism, but no residence, death or burial, marriage, or anything in England. 

I also found a reference to Jennie Godson on an Ancestry tree, and contacted the tree owner, who is related to Jane/Jennie.  Jennie (as she was known in Canada) ended up in Ontario, where she married and lived for the rest of her life.  The tree owner and I had some contact a few years back, but neither of us could fill in the missing bits about when she left England/ arrived in Canada, and where she lived before marriage.   Nevertheless, I'm convinced this is 'my' Jennie.

Jane was born March quarter 1890 in Aston, Warwickshire (one of the registration districts of  Birmingham) to parents William and Matilda Godson.  Her mother died in 1898, leaving William with 5 young children - 4 boys & Jennie.  I can only assume that her father felt unable to cope with an 8-year old girl and decided to send her to the orphanage.  There were other wider family members with whom she might have lodged, but no info on why she didn't go to one of them.   Whatever the reason, Jennie ended up in the orphanage.  I have only assumed that she went there after her mother died - have not found any date of admission or other info.

Jennie married Alexander Thomson in Toronto in 1909 and raised her family there.  I believe she died around 1954, also in Toronto. 

If you can help me to fill in the missing bits, mainly between 1901-1909, I would be most grateful,

Mogwood

P.S.  any leads on how I might find out when & why she entered the orphanage would also be much appreciated.

Offline Sandidolsen42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 08 February 16 02:41 GMT (UK) »
I am new here, so bear with me .  I have been reading a post from Richard about his great uncle Ernest Green....Ernest Green is my Great great Uncle he married my Great grandmother's sister Verna Hornick ..they lived in Dresden in a little log cabin..I do have a few pictures...I would be interested in seeing if you have any new information on Uncle Ernie. He sounds like he has an amazing story

Offline hart_em

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 02:20 BST (UK) »
Hello, my name is Elizabeth and my BHC is Stanley George HART. Stanley was my husband's great-grandfather and was sent to Canada from England onboard the Sardinian in 1894 when he was 12 years old.

The family knows very little about Stanley's life before coming to Canada. He did have a younger brother, Charles (8 years old) who emigrated with him in 1894 but they were separated once the arrived in Canada and never saw one another again (so I understand).
McConnell
McCabry
Clarke
Hart
Curts/Kurtz

Offline Dave Waltham

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 02:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you for posting this info.  I just learned a fair bit about my grandfather.  I knew the names of his parents, but not what part of England they were from.  Having come from a Banardo home, he had little recollection of his family, and only a couple of photos with their names written on the back.  I have already started submitting details of his life!!!

Offline Jazgran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 24 December 16 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi  I am trying to trace John Hand, born 1906 Liverpool and sent to Canada via Dr Barnardos in 1920.  I found him on passenger list of "Scotian" ship and his onward address was Mr Hobday, Toronto, the "reception centre".  His family are keen to know what happened to him after his 1920 arrival.
Many thanks,
Jazgran

Offline lemur41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 30 December 16 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen M and anyone else reading this

I just received an e mail from Perry Snow to say that he is returning to helping with the work for the BHC database.
 For anyone who doesn't know or hasn't read Perry's details in the past, his father was a Home Child, and the Register was the work of Perry Snow for many years.

Lemur 41

Offline enchiemeisie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 21 January 17 12:14 GMT (UK) »
My great-grandfather is not on the database.  I keep trying to add him, but every time I press the 'add' button it says this:

'One function of this database is to help RootsChat members to find (possible) common ancestors.
To contact other members, or for other members to be able to contact you,
you must be able to use the RootsChat Private Message (PM) system

Therefore you must be able to use the Private Message (PM) system before you can use this function.

The PM system will be available to you as soon as you have made 2 postings in the RootsChat forum.'

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.
Savage
Staff
Foukes
Clay

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 21 January 17 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Did you send Berlin Bob a message yesterday as suggested in another thread  - reply 6 ?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=763401.0

Quote :- If you still have a problem try sending Berlin Bob - Caretaker -  a pm to see if he can help you.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=655

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada