Author Topic: Look up request Higham by Nayland PRs - Joseph Double born Higham 1834  (Read 3841 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am trying to establish whether a Joseph Double found in Merchant and Royal Navy records with a birth place of Higham on a date variously recorded as 1835/37 could be the one found on Family Search with a christening at Higham by Nayland on 31 Aug 1834, parents Joseph and Martha.  As a first step, would some kind soul find time to check how many Joseph Doubles were baptised at Higham by Nayland in the years 1834-1837 and who their parents were.

I have records of the Merchant and RN ratings of that name and (nearly) correct age from the BT and ADM series, including Seaman's Tickets, CS Numbers, and deaths on the China station, none give parentage.  I have been advised from an earlier attempt on Rootschat that a check on BT92/2187 may have some detail, I am leaving that for later.

Hope someone can help.

maxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline genechaser

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Look up request Higham by Nayland PRs - Joseph Double born Higham 1834
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 March 15 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi

This is the only Joseph Double born in Higham by Nayland between 1834/1837

Joseph Double

Christened 31 August 1834
HIGHAM BY NAYLAND, SUFFOLK, ENGLAND   
father: Joseph Double
mother:Martha

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 March 15 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you - as I thought, I am happy this is a half great uncle.  Ongoing puzzle is to establish who the Joseph Double was with (where given) place of birth Higham and dob variously 1835/1836/1837 appearing in Merchant and RN records between 1850 and death on the China station in 1858.

Onward.

maxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 March 15 00:25 GMT (UK) »
I'm just wondering why they can't be the same person?

Your Joseph Double b.1834 appears to 'disappear' after the 1851 census - I know a Joseph is shown in merchant navy (born Higham) 1850 but may well have been home for a while and once again worked as an ag.lab. as shown in 1851 census.

MN record quite clearly states born Higham, Suffolk and there was only the one i.e. yours and yours disappears from records after 1851.

Annette 
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 March 15 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Annette

Yes, my heart has been telling me I should accept that it is the same person ever since I put together all the clues.  There are others - his entry in BT 113 has no record of ships and voyages undertaken so maybe that explains his 1851 appearance in Higham.  Another Rootschat expert noted some time ago that it was common for Merchant Navy seamen to join the RN later, the dates would support that idea.

Trouble is the purist in me tells me I don't have evidence tying him to his parents, hence the continuing search for more clues/evidence.   Tony and Dawn have been most helpful on the related thread: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=716325.msg5599935#msg5599935 and I await with eagerness Tony's next missive.

Thank you for your interest.

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk