Author Topic: Robert Holroyd/oldroyd marriage is very puzzling  (Read 3860 times)

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Holroyd/oldroyd marriage is very puzzling
« on: Sunday 22 March 15 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi all im after a bit of help is possible please?

Robert Oldroyd b1758 to Joseph Oldroyd,Sandal Wakefield. i have him marrying Sally Airedale b 1770-1801 in Bradford 1788, i know this is far off, but there is no other i can find, and this is where it gets puzzling.  i have births for Esau Holroyd to parents Sarah and Robert of criggleston. b1791 - 1882 and Rebecca Oldroyd (my line) 1799- 1831 crigglestone. these are at West Gate Presbyterian, Wakefield, baptisms. now according to my findings and both Esau and Rebecca have children named Sarah and found a death of Sarah Oldroyd in Sandal Magna in 1801 spouse is listed as Robert criggleston.

is possible Sally is Sarah ?...... but then there is this......

there is a baptism in sandal magna st helens for a Joseph Holdroyd 25 dec 1818, to parents robert and sarah holdroyd. how can this be if Sarah/sally has died in 1801?

then in 1825 Robert married Marth Horner, spinister at Sandal Magna st helens. on select parish registers gives her birth as 1804...

they then have William baptised 16 Jan 1828 died 1836 Sandal magna st helens parents robert and martha.

Robert dies in 1839 and is buried at Sandal magna of crigglestone.

i think Martha is on the 1841 + census as widow and washer woman living in Stanley.

so if Sally Sarah ? and who can Joseph be is there another set of Robert and Sarah/Sally?

i cant find a sarah /Sally airedale birth nor can i find another set of robert and sarah.......

roberts father i think is also called Joseph

any help greatly appriciated

many thanks
weenie
Names i am researching are: Riley, Peaker, Jones,Smith, Dobson, Ford, Humphries, Cross, Peckston, Power, Raby, Raper, Snipe Hulse, Whelan, Darling, Morton, Wild, Moss, Ibbotson, Grimes, Broadbelt, Jowett, Nicholson
Areas of interest: Leeds, Castleford, Wakefield, Kent, Westham, Northumberland, Lancashire, Pontefract,  Flintshire, Liverpool

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Holroyd/oldroyd marriage is very puzzling
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 March 15 01:28 GMT (UK) »
A Robert Holroyd married a Sarah Marsden 24/11/1817 Sandal Magna - a witness to the marriage being your Rebecca Holroyd.   These no doubt were the parents of Joseph born 1818. I would suggest that this Robert was probably a brother (rather than a 2nd marriage for her father), and that this Sarah died too and that it was probably him that was the widower who married Martha in 1825.   

I find it extremely hard to believe that having remained a widower for 24 years he'd suddenly marry again at age 63!   Possible, of course, but doubtful to me.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 March 15 07:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I agree with Annette and it looks like the Robert you are looking for would be a son of Robert.
Try looking for a Robert born around 1796.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 March 15 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for getting back to me, i was thinking possble a brother but although you mentioned try looking for a Robert around 1796 i just cannot find one that fits, all the ones i found are in Rippondon or Thornhill.

ive also tried Hobroyd/Oldroyd/holroyd....

many thanks

weenie
Names i am researching are: Riley, Peaker, Jones,Smith, Dobson, Ford, Humphries, Cross, Peckston, Power, Raby, Raper, Snipe Hulse, Whelan, Darling, Morton, Wild, Moss, Ibbotson, Grimes, Broadbelt, Jowett, Nicholson
Areas of interest: Leeds, Castleford, Wakefield, Kent, Westham, Northumberland, Lancashire, Pontefract,  Flintshire, Liverpool

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 07:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi

It could be the Thornhill one. The Thornhill parish is next to the Sandal Magna parish.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 20:45 GMT (UK) »
i still cannot find a Robert in Thornhill parish just the father as Robert for the year and although possible if Robert is the brother of Rebecca, why would the robert the 1st have 2 children baptisied in non conformist register then this robert in parish register, and out of the area, when all the time he in Sandal Magna, /crigglestone?

i am thinking the Thornhill bunch are a whole different line most probably connected at some point just not my connection right now ?

Thankyou
Weenie

Offline jamxr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 June 15 11:57 BST (UK) »
I have a William Howroyd (Holdroyd etc) marrying in 1798 to a Betty Conyer both of Dewsbury.  Any relation?

Offline LeedsHipPriest69

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Holroyd
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 May 21 21:47 BST (UK) »
I have a distant ancestor, also by the name of Robert Holroyd (b approx 1759, d June 1836 in Pontefract)

I have him as marrying Elizabeth Moor (b1759 Frickley with Clayton) in South Kirkby in July 1778

I've struggled to find Roberts birth anywhere in the West Ridings that is relatively close to South Kirkby, with only Ripponden offering up possibles, b May 1762 of Jeremiah or b March 1765 of Peter, but 40 plus miles just seems too far. Entirely possible I've missed a smaller village somewhere

After their marriage, they moved to Pontefract.

Anyone looking for Holroyds in the West Ridings around this time ?

Benn (Yorkshire), Cock (Ashill, Norfolk), Dickinson (Newton on Trent and Saxilby, Lincolnshire)  Rhodes (Yorkshire), Tew (Shropshire/Staffordshire), Wilks (Yorkshire)

Offline davidgp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 May 21 23:09 BST (UK) »
Robert HOLROYD and Elizabeth MOOR are my 4G grandparents - I too have Pontefract burials for both; no birth for Robert and a marriage in 1778 in South Kirkby. Elizabeth's family was from Clayton with Frickley. Anyone know the HOLROYD family's occupation - I've a lot of connected milling families from the Drax to Pontefract area and wondered if the HOLROYDs, the MOORs or the SLATERs were involved.