Author Topic: Ward, Martin b.abt. 1834 - Sandhurst, Bendigo, gold miner from abt. 1859 to ?  (Read 11767 times)

Offline Ross Howat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ward, Martin b.abt. 1834 - Sandhurst, Bendigo, gold miner from abt. 1859 to ?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 26 March 15 06:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Debra; there is certainly an attractive Adelaide link there. 

Sue: the burial details for Jane Ward nee Sherry are as follows...
"I have checked the records for Jane Ward and she is buried in Church of England J 16 at Warringal Cemetery, Heidelberg.
There are no details regarding who purchased the grave even though the records indicate that it was a “private” burial and not a “pauper” burial.
The records indicate that the burial occurred on the 2 December 1900.

There is no Martin Ward buried at any of the cemeteries managed by Banyule City Council."

ross. 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Ward, Martin b.abt. 1834 - Sandhurst, Bendigo, gold miner from abt. 1859 to ?
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 26 March 15 06:24 GMT (UK) »
So it is likely that Martin was still alive 2 March 1892   Well found Debra.

http://www.genealogysa.org.au/resources/online-databases.html

Perhaps there was an impediment to an 1854 marriage

From INDEX only there is a marriage in Adelaide for a Jane CHERRY ….   (spelling as per  :) )
It is 1851, and to a Charles MERRETT  # 6/161

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 26 March 15 06:30 GMT (UK) »
One Child for Charles MERRETT and Jane CHARREY
Berthenia in 1850 registered The Murray/Burra   #6/97

(SA link posted earlier)

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 26 March 15 06:37 GMT (UK) »
Good find Debra.

I cannot see an appropriate Martin WARD on 1841 England census, nor see a London baptism, which isn't helpful either way.

My guess is that Martin and Jane may not have been formally married.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 26 March 15 07:35 GMT (UK) »
When Ellen Rose WARD's death was registered, a second name was given for Martin.  Have you seen this anywhere else Ross?

WARD Ellen Rose
Father Martin Lyons
Mother  Jane SHERRY
Age 16
Death Place CWOOD
Year 1885
Reg  11590

Sue 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 26 March 15 08:01 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm - possible parents' marriage?? very long shot!

William WARD
Eliza LYON
Marriage Date:   27 Feb 1832
Marriage Place:   Saint James,Westminster,London,England
FHL Film Number:   1042319

Married by banns at St James, Picadilly.  Really difficult to read the names of witnesses and no information as to their fathers - it's a Bishops' transcript, not an image of the actual register.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 26 March 15 09:58 GMT (UK) »
This is all circumstantial and very much speculation.  ???  :-\  But I couldn't resist  ;D ::) 8)

There is a baptism for a child of Eliza and William WARD which MAY be a sibling of Martin and perhaps this is where the shoemaker thing comes from.

Baptism
Feb 11, 1835
City of London Lying-In Hospital
Frederick John WARD
Parents: William and Eliza WARD, Little Shire Lane
William's occupation is given as 'shoemaker'

Judith

Offline Ross Howat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 26 March 15 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all your efforts everyone. 
Sue: Yes; I had seen "Martin Lyons" on Ellen Rose Ward 1885 death entry.  However, there is our "Martin Ward" as the father on the same persons 1869 birth entry.  I tend to give more credence to birth entries. 

Judith: Yes I agree, there seems nothing in the UK to support a London marriage.  And that IS odd, because as you say, you can usually find something in those extremely useful UK Census records, even if you can't find a birth or marriage.  Plus I didn't rely on ancestry alone, but had a pretty good dig around on FREECEN and FREEREG, but still no cigar. 

So, in the absence of an Australian marriage, that does support the scenario that they never formally married. 

Debra: That Vic police charge sheet looks good. Can anyone search across these?  Apart from Trove, do you know of any other searchable contemporary records I could read to try to place him and/or his death?  Trouble is, he has such lamentably common names.  That is why I tried to firm up Jane Sherry first, with a view that I might fully ID hubby along the way.  No such luck so far. 

JM: What would be an 'impediment to an Adelaide marriage'?

ross. 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 26 March 15 12:05 GMT (UK) »
 :)

Have you considered that Jane may have been already married, married to someone else?  So, unable to lawfully marry?  (my oldfashioned word "impediment" - a hinderance, hurdle, block)

I noticed on Lucinda's 1879 birth cert, that Jane's maiden name was recorded there as CHERRY.   So I had a look and posted a possible marriage under that surname back in 1850 in Adelaide, and gave a live link to an index  :)

So it is likely that Martin was still alive 2 March 1892   Well found Debra.

http://www.genealogysa.org.au/resources/online-databases.html

Perhaps there was an impediment to an 1854 marriage

From INDEX only there is a marriage in Adelaide for a Jane CHERRY ….   (spelling as per  :) )
It is 1851, and to a Charles MERRETT  # 6/161

Cheers,  JM

JM  :)