Author Topic: Ward, Martin b.abt. 1834 - Sandhurst, Bendigo, gold miner from abt. 1859 to ?  (Read 11766 times)

Offline Ross Howat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ward, Martin b.abt. 1834 - Sandhurst, Bendigo, gold miner from abt. 1859 to ?
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 26 March 15 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks JM: I understand now.  Hmmm. 

Debra: the only Collingwood reference I could find on Trove 1880 to 1910 to a Martin Ward is attached.  Very sadly, it reinforces the ratbag picture so it could actually be him, but contributes nothing to his vitals.  "Taking the Pledge" ie; giving up the drink: sounds like he didn't, from later entries in that VicPol charge sheet.  Chances could be that his death wasn't properly recorded, and no-one gave a toss about him anyway by the time he died, so no newspaper death notices from grieving rellies. 

The only other Victoria mentions on Trove relate to that Inglewood Mayor I spoke about.  He died in Inglewood in 1876, plus his wife's name was Mary Morgan, so that rules them out. 

ross.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ward, Martin b.abt. 1834 - Sandhurst, Bendigo, gold miner from abt. 1859 to ?
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 26 March 15 21:31 GMT (UK) »
When Ellen Rose WARD's death was registered, a second name was given for Martin.  Have you seen this anywhere else Ross?

WARD Ellen Rose
Father Martin Lyons
Mother  Jane SHERRY
Age 16
Death Place CWOOD
Year 1885
Reg  11590

Sue

Thank you for all your efforts everyone. 
Sue: Yes; I had seen "Martin Lyons" on Ellen Rose Ward 1885 death entry.  However, there is our "Martin Ward" as the father on the same persons 1869 birth entry.  I tend to give more credence to birth entries. 

ross. 

The man's surname was WARD. That is to say Martin Lyons WARD.  I am saying it is recorded that he had a second given name on this entry.  Judith has gone a little further in seeking a possible origin for it.

The only other Victoria mentions on Trove relate to that Inglewood Mayor I spoke about.  He died in Inglewood in 1876, plus his wife's name was Mary Morgan, so that rules them out. 

ross.

This is not the mayor at Inglewood ;D

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/155022948

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ross Howat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 26 March 15 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Sue.  I'm sorry; I didn't understand earlier: I thought you meant 'Lyons' as a surname.   

ross

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 26 March 15 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Well, you see, Ross,

Ummm......  Until very very recently, and perhaps still current practice in most fh groups and at RChat, the surname of the person of interest is capitalised.  But of course, internet ettiquette considers capitalisation as shouting, so it can send mixed messages when us regulars at RChat transcribe from our resources. 

So, if you look back over the thread, you will see that most of us follow that convention, automatically, but not to worry, it is sorting for your quest. 

Have you had a chance to read the thread stuck to the top of the main Australia board ?  Here is the live link :

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=368728.0

Cheers,  JM  :)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 26 March 15 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - I didn't really explain myself very well.

It's very common to find the mother's surname used in naming.  So it seemed to me that it was possible that Martin's mother's surname may have been LYONS, and from this found the marriage already listed, with a date that reasonably fitted with Martin's presumed birthdate.
William WARD
Eliza LYON
Marriage Date:   27 Feb 1832
Marriage Place:   Saint James,Westminster,London,England
FHL Film Number:   1042319

Then I looked for children of this couple and found the 1835 baptism for Frederick John WARD with his father's occupation listed as shoemaker.

So far I have not found any of this family in the censuses, nor any trace of a Martin WARD born London 1833/4.  I thought it worth posting but it's a very long shot and there is probably little chance of being able to verify whether there is any connection at all.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ross Howat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 27 March 15 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again Judith.  I understand now: yes, I see what you are driving at.  Yes, it does seem highly possible William WARD and Eliza LYON could be parents of Martin WARD b.1833.  I will have a cross-check on Ancestry for any other persons deceased in Australia to those parents names, with a view to finding brothers and sisters of Martin. 

Debra: On that Court record for Martin WARD from PROV: where it says "Previous History - Per William Hyde 1849 Free" - do you know if that "Free" means he was a free settler? 

ross

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 27 March 15 01:39 GMT (UK) »
There were no convict transport ships sent to South Australia.*   The British set up South Australia differently from the other colonies.   The William Hyde passenger list with the note "Many surnames hard to read" http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/fh/passengerlists/1849WilliamHyde.htm

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/2965890 26 May 1849, the cargo included railway engines and construction material for the new railway line

Add  *
http://boundforsouthaustralia.net.au/historical-background.html

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/50247984  16 May 1849 Newspaper passenger list.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Ross Howat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 27 March 15 03:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you JM, and thank you all. 
I really don't want to keep you all tied up on this; there are many more deserving cases out there.  I have many leads to follow now, and quite a lot of reading.  I will be busy with subject for quite a while. 

How do I politely wind this up?  Or does a thread just go dormant if there is no activity? 

ross the newbie, (who is still reading the help pages.)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 27 March 15 03:09 GMT (UK) »
You are doing fine Ross.   We were each newbies once ....

I think (but not sure) that if you look at the bottom left hand part of this thread on your screen (as you started this thread) that there's a button / option to mark the topic completed.   It only appears on the Originator's version.   

I read about that option recently, I think it is a fairly new option.

If this were my thread,  I would leave it open for a day or so more.   It is an interesting thread.  :)

Cheers,  JM