Author Topic: Ward, Martin b.abt. 1834 - Sandhurst, Bendigo, gold miner from abt. 1859 to ?  (Read 11752 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ward, Martin b.abt. 1834 - Sandhurst, Bendigo, gold miner from abt. 1859 to ?
« Reply #45 on: Friday 27 March 15 06:14 GMT (UK) »
Worth noting also, Ross, the marriage certificate gives her a birthdate of 1861, not 1866.

This places her between the birth of John Thomas WARD (1859) and Jane Ward (1864).

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Ward, Martin b.abt. 1834 - Sandhurst, Bendigo, gold miner from abt. 1859 to ?
« Reply #46 on: Friday 27 March 15 06:26 GMT (UK) »
I can't see how Mr and Mrs Ward would have travelled to Bedford, England and returned  :-X

On Lucinda’s birth cert 23 June 1879 , Charlotte is 17 years, and no middle name ….
First three have middle names,
Jane Elizabeth, dead
Mary Ann 22 yrs
John Thomas dead
Charlotte 17 yrs
Elizabeth dead
Jane 15 yrs
Martin dead
Catherine 10 yrs
Ellen 9 yrs
Edward dead
Samuel dead

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 27 March 15 07:49 GMT (UK) »
On the index for her second marriage, the birthplace is not given for Charlotte Lear JACKSON. It is not given on the Vic index from that year on.

The certificate will show it though, as it was required information.

JACKSON Charl Lear
GARLAND Geo Seabourne
Birth Place -
Year  1913

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ross Howat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 28 March 15 04:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sue: I didn't know that about the Vic Index dropping recording places around that time. 

Yes, JM.  I agree; with the children's birth dates and places, it seems unlikely they would have had a child in the UK amongst all them. 

All those deceased WARD children, too.  It makes me wonder with these gold mining families.  I mean, I know that child mortality was much higher than now.  But in the gold fields it seems higher again.  Makes me wonder about the arsenic, mercury and other highly toxic substances they used to extract that gold, possibly getting into the ground water.  Pretty risky environment, especially for pregnant mums and little kiddies. 

ross. 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 28 March 15 06:38 GMT (UK) »
Yes, well, cause of death is noted on Vic BDM death certs.    Gold tailings can definitely have concentrations of those substances, but I think  measles, diphtheria, tetanus, TB, pneumonia, Whooping cough, chicken pox, mumps, typhus, ...... were the health threats.

Cheers, JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 28 March 15 09:01 GMT (UK) »
The Martin WARD 1813-1876, JP, mayor etc, who lived at Inglewood was one my OH's ancestors :) There is a headstone for Martin and his son Gerard in the Inglewood Cemetery.  Martin's wife Mary returned to England where she died in 1886. 

I have posted some of the research I found while researching OH's Martin WARD. Apologies if I have duplicated any information.

One Child for Charles MERRETT and Jane CHARREY
Berthenia in 1850 registered The Murray/Burra   #6/97

(SA link posted earlier)

Cheers,  JM

So it is likely that Martin was still alive 2 March 1892   Well found Debra.

http://www.genealogysa.org.au/resources/online-databases.html

Perhaps there was an impediment to an 1854 marriage

From INDEX only there is a marriage in Adelaide for a Jane CHERRY ….   (spelling as per  :) )
It is 1851, and to a Charles MERRETT  # 6/161

Cheers,  JM

This couple were still having children in South Australia in 1860.

The WILLIAM HYDE arrived Adelaide with 104 passengers.  No Wm WARD.
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article50247984
http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/fh/passengerlists/1849WilliamHyde.htm

The WILLIAM HYDE arrived Melbourne from Adelaide 30 Jun 1849.  No passengers' names listed. 
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article12913475

WARD Martin  Born c1832
Biographical register 1858
Place: Peg Leg Gully
Married 1 or 15 Jan 1853 Williamstown Victoria
Spouse Sherry, Jane
Spouse born: 1834
Eaglehawk & district pioneer register.
Author/compiler: O'Donohue, Annette and Hanson, Bev.  Page#1702

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article58432468  1885
Martin WARD remanded from last week on a charge of unlawfully assaulting his wife, was discharged on promising to take the pledge, and behave better to his wife.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article112864787  1886
Eastern Court Melbourne a Martin WARD before the court for drunkenness.

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ross Howat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 28 March 15 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Cando, JM. 

Offline Ross Howat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: WARD, Martin b.abt. 1834 - AKA: WATKINS, George?
« Reply #52 on: Friday 06 April 18 01:05 BST (UK) »
If these two VicPol charge sheets are the same person, that would make the 2 Jan 1854 Williamstown Marriage of Jane SHERREY to George WATKINS my next key research document.  However, I am still looking for Martins (Georges?) (presumably) Australia death. Could he have died in the Melbourne Benevolent Asylum as an incurable alcoholic?

The only George WATKINS I can find on Ancestry's Asylum records discharged himself in 1926; that would have made my man 90 to 100 years old. 

Would members have some advice about researching MBA records, please. Or maybe burials of institutionalised people c1905?

Offline Ross Howat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Martin WARD b. 1833 - d. 18 Jan 1906 at Parramatta, N.S.W.
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 18 November 18 01:16 GMT (UK) »
I am just closing off this inquiry as solved, and attach the 31 Mar 1886 Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia marriage Entry which solved it.  It turns out that, yes, there was an impediment to an 1854 marriage, because that's when Jane SHERRY married a George WATKINS in Williamstown, Victoria.  He must have refused to divorce her, so Martin and Jane cohabited and brought up a family until George died (cited as 1882, but possibly 1878), after which they married.  I can find no WATKINS children to George and Jane. 

Martin WARD, born London abt 1833 to Joseph WARD and Mary SHAE. 
Jane SHERRY, born Monaghan, Ireland abt 1831 to Thomas SHERRY and Ann McLure. 

Many thanks to all.
Regards, Ross,
Queensland, Australia.