Author Topic: Ward, Martin b.abt. 1834 - Sandhurst, Bendigo, gold miner from abt. 1859 to ?  (Read 11762 times)

Offline Ross Howat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ward, Martin b.abt. 1834 - Sandhurst, Bendigo, gold miner from abt. 1859 to ?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 March 15 04:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Judith.  Here is all the detail I have from those two Entries.  This was given to me second-hand; I do not have pdf copies or Extracts myself. 

Jane (Berry nee WARD) died 8 April 1931 (NSW death cert. #5295) which shows father Martin Ward, labourer and mother Jennie Sherry. Also states she was born Bendigo Victoria.

1855 Vic. Birth Cert No. 524 reveals Jane Elizabeth born 12 March 1855 at 147 Spring St, Melb. Father: Martin Ward, Shoemaker, 21 years, Birthplace London England. Mother: Jane Ward formerly Sherry, 22 years, Birthplace Ireland. Married: 1854 Adelaide. The informant was "Mr Ward, Father, Melbourne". 

This led me firm up Jane Sherry as follows...
Parents - Richard Sherry and Jean McClure
Birth 1835 Monaghan, Ireland
Arrival 1853 20 Sep Age: 18 Melbourne, Australia
ship AUSTRALIA

Marriage to Martin Ward 1854 Age: 19
Adelaide; from Jane Elizabeth 1855 birth cert. 524: and
Williamstown, Victoria from d. cert. #1935.

Residence 1856
from birthplace of child

Residence 1859
to 1876
from birthplace of children.

Residence 1879
from Lucinda b. entry.

Residence 1885

Death 1900
1 Dec

I can transcribe Lucinda's birth entry details if you like; this is the only one I have bought so far. 
ross. 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Ward, Martin b.abt. 1834 - Sandhurst, Bendigo, gold miner from abt. 1859 to ?
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 March 15 05:05 GMT (UK) »
There's TWO (YES two) index entries at NSW SRO's Deceased Estates index for Jane BERRY of Gladesville, DD 8 April 1931 at NSW State Records Office.   Likely it is all together in one file, perhaps the first one was opened and then sealed with the second one.   It may be that there's family history in that file, and at least a dc to support the probate action.

http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/searchform.aspx?id=15&new=1

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Ross Howat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 March 15 05:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi all. 
Please see attachment for details of Lucinda's birth Entry. 
Tks.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 26 March 15 05:17 GMT (UK) »
You probably have this, but just in case

Rookwood Cemetery – Anglican
Jane BERRY, 66 years
8 April 1931
MI ‘wife & our mother’
Section 9,  Row 85, plot 4295

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Ross Howat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 26 March 15 05:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks once again, JM. 
The Berrys have very capably been researched by members of that family in Sydney.  However, it's the Wards and the Sherrys I am after the information about.  Usually, I try to find brothers and sisters of my subjects in Australia, work sideways a bit, and then firm up mum and dads vitals from a composite viewpoint.  No luck with this strategy either. 

Also no luck on Ancestry to find a Middlesex marriage, or even a near match, to Jane Sherry and Martin Ward in or about 1854. 

I think they both lied, to cover up the shame of Martin being Transported as a convict.  I've had a dig around on the Old Bailey website but haven't been able to prove anything. 

ross

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 March 15 05:32 GMT (UK) »
If Martin had been transported, then likely he would be sent to VDL, or Norfolk Island, as transportation to NSW effectively ceased in 1840.   The only NSW chap transported arrived in 1824, and was awarded his CP in 1839.   Far more people arrived with gold fever in the 1850s and 1860s than had been sent under sentence of a court in all the years previous.

Cheers,  JM

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 March 15 05:36 GMT (UK) »
Reply #11, the certificate, offers yet another location for the marriage.
London.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 26 March 15 05:42 GMT (UK) »
This man seems to tick all the boxes.

http://postimg.org/image/yggt389pv/

Search PROV here (VPRS 515 - 'with any of the words' WARD - scroll through the results)
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0195j/

The William Hyde arrived into Adelaide in 1849.

Debra  :)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 26 March 15 06:01 GMT (UK) »
Where was Jane senior (d.1900) buried?

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk