Author Topic: Barwick family of Wootton Courtenay, near Minehead.  (Read 2817 times)

Offline Deux Chevaux

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Barwick family of Wootton Courtenay, near Minehead.
« on: Sunday 29 March 15 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi, does anybody have information on the above family? I've gone back to a Mary Barwick b1771 (possibly in Wootton Courtenay, but maybe elsewhere(gaps in parish records don't help)). She had an illegitimate son named James Barwick b1794 in Wootton Courtenay. I'd like to find firm evidence of where Mary came from, and her parent's identity. Thanks. 
Barwick: Wootton Courtenay, Somerset
             Maesteg, Glamorgan
Rawle: Wootton Courtenay, Somerset
Williams: Hay-on-Wye, Breconshire/Powys, Wales
Pegg: Corpusty/Saxthorp, Norfolk
Stace: Epping, Essex
Singleton: Chillington, Somerset

Offline Bo Diddley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Barwick family of Wootton Courtenay, near Minehead.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 April 15 13:14 BST (UK) »
Hello

How about Lynton?

George Barwick and Anne Howe?

What say ee?

Happy Easter.

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 April 15 13:40 BST (UK) »
There is a tree on Ancestry which looks to be for this person. It shows she was born 17/03/1771, Lynton, Devon and her parents were George Barwick, b1741 and Ann Howe b1742. It shows her son, James born 1794, Timberscombe.

This information might be worth pursuing.

Jo.

Offline Deux Chevaux

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 April 15 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hi, thank you both. I'm not convinced with that branch as I've seen nothing to tie both strands together. I've been to Somerset Records Office and Devon Records Office to delve into those (at the moment) two families, but I've found no evidence to suggest that the Mary of Lynton, and the Mary of Wootton Courtenay, are one and the same. I'm hoping somebody can show me irrefutable evidence one way or the other. I don't want to assume I'm on the right branch, only for it to be called into question at a later date, when I've spent a lot of time and effort on researching the wrong family.  :)
             Maesteg, Glamorgan

Offline Bo Diddley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 April 15 13:18 BST (UK) »
I know what you mean. ;)

May I ask you what your evidence is for Mary 1771 in Wootton Courtenay?

Offline Deux Chevaux

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 April 15 22:14 BST (UK) »
That's the problem, I don't have concrete evidence. I know she had her son, James, in 1794, and he was born in Wootton Courtenay, but have found no paper trail for her birth in Wootton C. There's a fair chunk of missing years around the 1760's-1770's of the parish records. Later census returns state that she was born in Wootton C, but that doesn't mean its fact. LOL
             Maesteg, Glamorgan

Offline rarebit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 July 19 08:22 BST (UK) »
Hi I have the same family ,my Mar y was born in Lynton Devon on 17/3/1771 ,she married a James Baker on 13/7/1805 ,James was from Wootton Courtenay ,Mary's dad was George Barwick 10/2/1741 ,he married Anne Howe c1742 they married 21/5/1768 ,my Mary had an illegitimate son James born 13/5/1794 ,baptized 1/6/1794 ,I noticed you have Barwicks in Maesteg ,the one in maesteg i think was James ,brother to my g grandfather Charles they both married 2 sisters Margaret and Elizabeth Keene     don't know if this helps     Marion
Devonald Maddock Thomas Edwards Barwick Groom Keene                                                                            Pembrokeshire Maesteg Bridgend Caernarvon Somerset Norfolk Wiltshire

Offline DNA_of_a_Turnip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 July 20 21:24 BST (UK) »
Mary is also an ancestor of mine - she is my 4th great-grandmother and her husband, James Baker is my 4th great-grandfather.

Unable to confirm much about the family beyond what has already been mentioned, however.
Murray (Wales/Co. Cork); Doyle (Co. Limerick); Llewellyn (Pembs/Pt. Talbot); Griffin (Co. Limerick/Tipperary); Evans (Somerset); Jones (Glam/Pembs); Evans (Swansea); Charles (Pembs); Baker (Somerset); Wallace (Limerick); Howells (Neath/Swansea)