Author Topic: Alexander Ingram (c1793) Watchmaker of Abergavenny  (Read 8695 times)

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
Alexander Ingram (c1793) Watchmaker of Abergavenny
« on: Thursday 02 April 15 22:47 BST (UK) »
Greetings Rootschatters,

I have just found the last of my gggreat-grandfathers whose granddaughter Ann married Sidney Vincent in Stockton-on-Tees. I do have all of Alexander's census records up to his death in 1871 and also his two wives Anne Price and Jane Roig and their offspring. Alexander was a watchmaker in Abergavenny.

I am wondering why he ended up in Abergavenny where there seemed to be a real cluster of men engaged in the trade. So questions ....
  • Was Abergavenny a centre for watchmaking?
  • Why did the Ingrams migrate from Scotland (his son James returned north to Lanarkshire before moving down to Co Durham)?
  • Only on his final census entry, his birthplace is recorded as "Scotland". Can anyone confirm his actual place of birth?
My thanks as ever to all who contribute to this fabulous resource.
Malcolm Vincent
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline rickjt62

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Ingram (c1793) Watchmaker of Abergavenny
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 April 15 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Malcolm

I have Alexander Ingram on my family tree and live a mere five miles from Abergavenny

I am connected to your family way down the line by marriage

I have never heard of a connection with watchmaking

Regards,
Richard
Blaenafon

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 April 15 12:03 BST (UK) »
Looking through census there are few watchmakers in Abergavenny -so it doesn't look like it was a "centre " for that trade

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 April 15 13:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you Suz for looking. I've googled all around the subject and have come to the same conclusion. There were probably watchmakers in every principal town.

Shwmae Richard, there is another Alexander Ingram around who was born after "mine". In fact, Alexander + Ingram seems to occur regularly all over the kingdom(s). Mine is described as a watchmaker in each census and in the lease documents I've found.

Ingrams seem to originate from the Huntly area of Aberdeenshire where there is the highest incidence of the surname. I'm not sure about Scottish records in the eighteen century and whether or not it would be possible to follow Alexander's lineage back.

I started my search for ancestors assuming I was 50% English and 50% Welsh (my mother's side). It seems I have almost no English in me at all! My father's mother was Irish and his grandfather was of Scots/Welsh descent born in Scotland, the granddaughter of Alexander.

That seems to suggest that my great grandfather Sidney Vincent is the only source of my 12½% of English (Suffolk) genes!
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 April 15 13:35 BST (UK) »
there is another Ingram who is a watchmaker in Abergavenny - Robert Ingram -born Scotland - 1851/61 pauper in Abergavenny workhouse.
There is also Thomas Ingram watchmaker in Abergavenny -was he one of the sons??

There is also a court case in cardiff in 1854 for Alexander Ingram & Edward Ingram

Suz

Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 17:52 BST (UK) »
I'm crossing Offa's Dyke in June and have time to spend a day on Abergavenny parish records. Where would I find them please?

Malcolm
gedmatch.com A006809

Offline rgee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 May 15 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Malcolm.
I think you will find that nearly all Monmouthshires parish records are now in the Gwent Records Office in Ebbw Vale.
Regards
Ray
Bigham, Monmouthshire
Gooding, Somerset
Anstice, Bristol& Monmouthshire
North, Somerset
Willmer, Sussex

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 May 15 00:09 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

Using the Welsh newspapers online the earliest combination of Ingram + watchmaker brings up Robert Ingram, Abergavenny in 1832
http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3392084/ART4/ingram%20%20%20watchmaker

If you haven't already looked, you may find it interesting to trawl through these articles, there were a surprising number of Ingrams about!  Edward & Alexander referred to in the 1854 court case above were two 'young lads' accused of sheep stealing.  The first definitive one for Alexander Ingram, watchmaker in Abergavenny appears in 1853
http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3395608/ART35/alexander%20ingram

With the info you've supplied these may/may not be relevant:
http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3391117/ART26/alexander%20ingram
http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3633033/ART18/alexander%20ingram

When looking for Alexander's birth in Scotland his children's names are a good place to start.  Great emphasis was placed on continuity there and names carried through methodically from one generation to another.

brigau

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 May 15 08:44 BST (UK) »
Ray, thanks for the pointer to Ebbw Vale.

Brigau, many thanks for these articles from the Monmouthshire Merlin. They all (and some others) apply to the Ingram tribe.

It would appear that Robert Ingram lost his shop in 1835 and son Alexander went to gaol as a debtor.

Malcolm
gedmatch.com A006809