Author Topic: Ambrose COLLINGRIDGE b abt 1820 & Ann BARTON b abt 1822  (Read 3198 times)

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ambrose COLLINGRIDGE b abt 1820 & Ann BARTON b abt 1822
« on: Sunday 05 April 15 17:37 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the baptism of Ambrose COLLINGRIDGE around 1820. He gives his birth place as Somerton Oxfordshire in all the censuses I have him in.  He died in 1900 in Lancashire.

I have the data disk for Somerton but can't see him on there.  I've tried FamilySearch with no results.  Ancestry and FindMyPast haven't provided any results either.

I am also looking for the baptism of Ann BARTON around 1822.  She gives her place of birth as Stoke Lyne, Oxfordshire in the 1861 census.  I believe she died in 1862 in Yorkshire.

I have the data disk for Stoke Lyne but can't see her on there.  I've tried FamilySearch with no results.  Ancestry and FindMyPast haven't provided any results either.

Ambrose married Ann BARTON around 1845 but again nothing on the data disk for either Somerton or Stoke Lyne or on FreeBMD.  It is, of course, possible they didn't marry.

I have Ambrose's two subsequent marriages in Leeds RD in 1864 (possibly to Mary PRIESTLEY) and 1867 to Sarah MILLS.

If anyone can help with Ambrose's and Ann's respective baptism and their marriage, I would be very grateful.

Offline Carmela

• RootsChat Senior
  • Trixie
    • View Profile
Re: Ambrose COLLINGRIDGE b abt 1820 & Ann BARTON b abt 1822
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 03:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Connie,
There is a simple answer as to why you can't find Ambrose's baptism in the Somerton PR. the Collingridges were Roman Catholics ( probably the Bartons, too) and as such would have had their children baptised by a RC priest.The RC chapel, long maintained at Somerton by the Fermor family ( old Catholic gentry and lords of the manor) had long since disappeared by 1820.
The Fermors had a chapel at their house in Tusmore (only about 3 miles away) and I suspect that is where Somerton RCs  would have attended mass, married and had their children baptised, but between 1754 and 1837 they were required by law to marry in a C of E church, so any marriages in that period should be in the PR of the church where the marriage took place.

I suggest that you get in touch with the OFHS . They should be able to advise you about
RC records . I don't think you will find any online.

As to the marriage c1845, it's very strange that it is not on FreeBMD. Probably just bad luck and it happens to be one  of the few records that somehow was mistranscribed or lost. You might try the Oxfordshire Record Office; it may have survived there,  even if  it never made it to the GRO.

The only bit of good news is that if you want to follow the Collingridge line back in time, there are a lot of wills available on FindMyPast.

hth,
Carmela

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationararchives.gov.uk

Current obsessions:
OXF: Rose of Wheatley and Holton 1700s
BRK: Stevenson of East Hanney 1600-1880s
BKM: Woodman of Wing
DEV: Youlden of Whimple
SOM: Smith, Gudge, Joy and Tett of Crewkerne

Offline Craftyp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 07:11 BST (UK) »
I was going to answer last night but thought maybe I was barking up the wrong tree but since Carmela has answered to state that they were Roman Catholics I thought I would let you know that there is a website Sedgley Park School the Roman Catholic school 1763 - 1873 where there is an Ambrose Collingridge  plus another 6 Collingridge's two from Oxford. It doesn't say where Ambrose was from although it states he attended Feb 1835 - March 1837. It is worth a look to see if it could be him. Is it possible he could have gone to a private school?

CraftyP

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 19:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Connie,
There is a simple answer as to why you can't find Ambrose's baptism in the Somerton PR. the Collingridges were Roman Catholics ( probably the Bartons, too) and as such would have had their children baptised by a RC priest.The RC chapel, long maintained at Somerton by the Fermor family ( old Catholic gentry and lords of the manor) had long since disappeared by 1820.
The Fermors had a chapel at their house in Tusmore (only about 3 miles away) and I suspect that is where Somerton RCs  would have attended mass, married and had their children baptised, but between 1754 and 1837 they were required by law to marry in a C of E church, so any marriages in that period should be in the PR of the church where the marriage took place.

I suggest that you get in touch with the OFHS . They should be able to advise you about
RC records . I don't think you will find any online.

As to the marriage c1845, it's very strange that it is not on FreeBMD. Probably just bad luck and it happens to be one  of the few records that somehow was mistranscribed or lost. You might try the Oxfordshire Record Office; it may have survived there,  even if  it never made it to the GRO.

The only bit of good news is that if you want to follow the Collingridge line back in time, there are a lot of wills available on FindMyPast.

Thank you for your reply.

I had a horrible feeling Ambrose belonged to the Roman Catholic branch.  Almost all the COLLINGRIDGEs in the Somerton/Souldern/Godington area were.  They are the only branch who remained Catholic and still are today.

Thank you for the information about the FERMORs and their chapel.  I have a vague recollection of being told any registers they kept are no longer exist.  I'll follow up on that.

I have 8 children for Ambrose and Ann.  The eldest was baptised in Stoke Lyne but the next two were born in London. The fourth was given as being of Fewcott at his burial in Stoke Lyne, age 7 wks. The fifth to eighth were all born in Yorkshire.

I'm not sure whether the BARTONs were Catholic or not.  I'll see what I can find out about them once I've been able to attach Ambrose to the correct branch.  Ambrose wouldn't have been the first to "marry out",

There are a few RC baptisms and burials on Ancestry but only a few.

I have heard that many marriages do not appear in the GRO indexes either because they were missed off the return or were missed when the returns were transcribed for a second time at the GRO. There is also a chance they were missed off during modern transcribing for FreeBMD, Ancestry, etc.  I've tried every trick I know to find the marriage without success.  I'll try the Register Office.

I'll have a look at the wills on FindMyPast.  I do have some that came from the Public Record Office many years ago.

Thank you very much for your help. It's much appreciated.

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 19:52 BST (UK) »
I was going to answer last night but thought maybe I was barking up the wrong tree but since Carmela has answered to state that they were Roman Catholics I thought I would let you know that there is a website Sedgley Park School the Roman Catholic school 1763 - 1873 where there is an Ambrose Collingridge  plus another 6 Collingridge's two from Oxford. It doesn't say where Ambrose was from although it states he attended Feb 1835 - March 1837. It is worth a look to see if it could be him. Is it possible he could have gone to a private school?

Thank you for your reply and the information about Sedgley Park School which is new to me.

Some of the names on there, such as Edmund and Felix, are familiar to me. As far as I can tell at the moment, all seven belong to the same branch of the family.  I'll follow up on that.  If they aren't, then it'll get interesting :) It'll keep me out of mischief - maybe :)

The Ambrose listed appears to fit with the one who later married Ann BARTON. He could certainly have been there.  The family weren't short of money.

Offline Lesanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 May 15 21:34 BST (UK) »
We have a Felix Collingridge (b1767 Weston on the green - Dec 1842 Headington) married Sarah/Sophia Haskey (b Stratton Audley c 1770) on 5 Nov 1793 Weston on the Green (wits Alban & Eliz Collingridge.

His son Edmund Collingridge 1799 Islip-21 April 1841 had 2 children (no marriage found) by Rose-ann Brockless (b1806 Wormleighton Wark - 13 Sept 1888).. Edmund Felix 24 Aug 1829 Islip-1917 & Elizabeth b1831.
 Both these children took the name NORRIS after Rose-Ann married George Norris in Lambeth London 2 Jul 1838. Edmund Felix *Brocklip* (sic) witness to their marriage.
Edmund Felix married Ann Robinson (b1830) in Sept 1851 Oxford 16/159.

Edmund (1799) married 2nd Jane Watkins (b1812 Islip/Kidlington) on 17 Jan 1839 Islip Wits Henry Warland & Mary King.

Barton, sometimes mistaken with BURDEN.
We have Ann Burden (b 9 May 1762 Banbury-30 May 1801 Leckhampstead)  mar Thomas Meadows on 16 Feb 1779 Leckhampstead (wits Martha Potter Mary Smith)  (poss as widow of (?John Wren?)
Thomas and Ann had Elizabeth b 28 Mar 1790 Leckhampstead... Elizabeth Meadows is George Norris sister in law. :D

Lesanne
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Berks Bucks Oxon= Norris Coxhead Turner Cox Weston Baston Simpson
Kent= Nicholls Mepstead Watts   Mile End=Craze Wood Bennett
Cork=Howe   NZ=Coxhead   Canada=Fenn Cox Turner