Author Topic: 1630 Muster rolls- How do I find out what townland an ancestor is on?  (Read 3459 times)

Offline crb83

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1630 Muster rolls- How do I find out what townland an ancestor is on?
« on: Monday 06 April 15 01:09 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone knew of any way to find out what townland/parish ancestors were a part of in Co. Down? I'm assuming I must visit PRONI but I'm in NY and won't be able to make a trip any time in the near future.  My ancestor's were on Montgomery's lands when the muster rolls were taken...

Gilbert M'Lyne, sword, under the Lord Viscount Ards, Co. Down
Michael M'Callyne, sword, "
John M'Culyne, sword and musket, "
Humphrey M'Collyne, sword, "

By the the next census substitute (that I know of, the subsidy rolls) they were in Tyrone already (around 1654-55) so I never bothered to look there but there may have been some family behind in Down.

The first thing that popped into my head is the 1625 Raven  Maps but again, they're in Ireland.  Thanks to anyone who can offer advice.

Chris
MacLean; Kildare, Offaly, Dublin, Meath, Westmeath

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1630 Muster rolls- How do I find out what townland an ancestor is on?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 April 15 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris, I wondered if you have been in contact with Bill McAfee, whose website http://www.billmacafee.com covers more middle, northern co Antrim and Derry etc , he is the leading scholar in Ireland on your period, and might be best to advise you and perhaps suggest if any other scholars working on the Co Down area for the same period.

I wondered about the names variants and Co Down, looking up Ros Davies Co Down
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/Mc/McCu.htmI considered McCollum, etc  but I kept coming back to McCullen where she has a note
McCULLEN    family   .   came over from Scotland 1607-1633 as part of the Plantation of Ulster   PE

I am also sure with your research done you are aware of The montgomery manuscripts a famous ulster book.

If you cant find a copy in New York, or borrow it locally consider joining the LinenHall Library Belfast, become a postal member paying for all postage to and from etc..or join the Ulater Historical Foundation if you aren’t already a member.
So trying to get an avalanche of suggestions coming your way
Good luck JimG
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide