Author Topic: Arthur John Edward Andrews  (Read 2097 times)

Offline little alison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Arthur John Edward Andrews
« on: Tuesday 07 April 15 10:25 BST (UK) »
We think this photograph may be of Arthur John Edward Andrews, born in Dublin in 1875.
On the back it just says 'Arthur Andrews' - in my father's writing. The opinion of people on the 'dating' thread here is that he looks probably Canadian and from the 1930s-40s.

There are four Arthur Andrews on my Irish relatives tree, but the other three have either been accounted for (Arthur William, photo) or were too old or too young at these dates.

Someone on an (unsourced) record online thinks he died before the 1901 census of Dublin - he doesn't appear anywhere in Ireland in the two available censuses.
But this photo makes me think not, as he's probably in his 50s.

There is at least one record of an Arthur Andrews leaving Ireland for Canada in 1895.....I'm still looking!
Does anyone have any information?

LITTLE - Lancs, Cheshire. Dumbarton, Dublin and Glasgow - and South Africa. Also Canada

PRICE, ALLEN, JONES, JACKSON - Gwersyllt and Wrexham

ANDREWS, DOWSE, MEMERY - Dublin, US, and Canada

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur John Edward Andrews
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi there.

The Arthur Andrews who travelled to Canada in 1895 has England as his birthplace. He was a farmer travelling to Winnipeg. This Arthur appears to be traceable in Manitoba through the 1921 census and there is a tree on Ances* that gives further info.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline little alison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Polarbear - unfortunately I found this too, today.
And I've now found the possible death in 1893  in two places online, same poster, but no source.

- and if he died, who is the man in the photo?
My father must have known who this was...can't ask him now....Alison
LITTLE - Lancs, Cheshire. Dumbarton, Dublin and Glasgow - and South Africa. Also Canada

PRICE, ALLEN, JONES, JACKSON - Gwersyllt and Wrexham

ANDREWS, DOWSE, MEMERY - Dublin, US, and Canada

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 17:41 BST (UK) »

The opinion of people on the 'dating' thread here is that he looks probably Canadian and from the 1930s-40s.

What makes him look "Canadian"  :)

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!