Author Topic: Welsh family, of Hawick.  (Read 8441 times)

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Welsh family, of Hawick.
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 12:48 BST (UK) »
When Robert Welsh died in 1898 in Hawick the informant for his death-certificate was his son John Welsh whose address was in Cramlington, Northumberland. Robert Welsh's father Thomas Welsh, a wool-sorter, was married to 1. Betty Lamb, and 2. Jane or Jeanie Kedie, who had formerly been married to a man called Bell. Thomas ended his days in the District Asylum in Melrose. As I said before, I'm descended from Thomas's sister Martha Welsh.

Robert Welsh started off as a wool-sorter but was a confectioner by the 1880s. He married 1. Margaret Wilson, 2. Margaret Chisholm and 3. Isabella Dalrymple Smith, a widow with 3 children who had been working as a housekeeper.

Back in the 1980s and 1990s when I was researching my family-tree I corresponded with an American descendant of the Welshes called Nancy Rougvie. I don't think she is still alive so I can probably mention her by name. There were quite a few American relatives.

Harry

Offline charlesstewartjacobs

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 14 July 18 23:41 BST (UK) »
I wanted to let you know that Nancy Rougvie is still with us and is a great source for Hawick's Welsh family history.  She lives in Rhode Island.  I will attempt to contact her and refer her to rootschat.com.  By the way, I am related to the Welsh family through my paternal grandmother, Isabelle Dalrymple Welsh.  Her father is Archibald Stewart Welsh, the son of Robert Ballantyne Welsh and Isabella Dalrymple.  I live in Utah, USA.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 15 July 18 09:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, it's good to know that Nancy is still with us.

Harry