Author Topic: WWI, Private Paritawa Tewai [aka Paretawa, Paratawa] & WWII, Flight Sergeant.  (Read 20325 times)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Service numbers: 16/847 -  NZ 411160 -  70664

Hello.

Seeking family of the above.

With the Anzac centenary fast approaching I’ve been approached by someone from Hukanui Marae, asking if in my research into the big Waikato Estates, their contractor’s and personal, I had come across the name Paritawa Tewai, which is on the WWI Cenotaph. Unfortunately I have not. He is unknown to today’s locals, and RSA.

This Tokomaru Bay born man’s military records, show that he went on to serve after WWII with the Auckland Provincial Air Training Corps, and was awarded a BEM [Military] in 1955 for his service, and work with Secondary School ATC’s but died February 18th 1959 aged only 63.

Members of the Marae are keen to host members of this man’s family, and honour him.

Members of the Hukanui Marae, and the Gordonton Churches who organize the community Anzac service, are keen to learn more about the names on the Gordonton Obelisk / Cenotaph, which has an interesting unfinished engraving, under the East facing, roll of names.

The Obelisk honouring all who served, was proudly built on the grass common land by the local highway, in front of the original community hall and horse paddock. This highway now being the very busy State Highway 1B, with the present day hall being the third to occupy the site.

The reason for the unfinished engraving becoming clearer, when viewing the Waikato Times of October 17th 1918, where the official unveiling on October 16th 1918 is fully reported upon, three weeks before the Armistice signing.

Alan.

References to my research:-

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=WT19181017.2.5&srpos=125&e=-------100--101-byDA---0P+Tewai--

https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/Search/Search.aspx?Path=%2fqueryEntry.m%3ftype%3dmarriages#SearchResults
http://www.aucklandmuseum.com/war-memorial/online-cenotaph/search?n=16%2f847     

http://www.aucklandmuseum.com/war-memorial/online-cenotaph/record/C56832?rs=%2fwar-memorial%2fonline-cenotaph%2fsearch%3fn%3d16%252f847&ck=99d9a6a72a9e4c7a94de48198962d32f&ordinal=0

H, BDM’s have [3]  1925 marriage listings for a Pua Ngareta MULLIGAN & Paretawa Te WAI which could possibly be him.

Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Re: WWI, Private Paritawa Tewai [aka Paretawa, Paratawa] & WWII, Flight Sergeant.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 April 15 00:03 BST (UK) »
Hi, just a very probable long shot, how about if you give (*) from TVNZ a try!  Mulligan not a hugely common name, and I did hear once that he had Maori blood! And he's up the right end of the island!

Regardless if he is family or not, he may also be willing & able to give the occasion some publicity. Wouldn't that be good!!  Good luck anyway with finding the families.

Cheers
Jeanne 😄

(*) Edit by Moderator: Name of living person removed to protect their privacy.
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: WWI, Private Paritawa Tewai [aka Paretawa, Paratawa] & WWII, Flight Sergeant.
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 April 15 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hello again.

Thanks for the MULLIGAN suggestion, it has been actioned

Thanks also to Errol MARTYN who supplied, by email, service records from his “For Your Tomorrow” [trillogy] and Colin HANSON’S “By Such Deeds”
From this info we now know that Sgt Tewai signed on #1 WWI, while in the employ of Tom Dawson [Gordonton] and #2 WWII, Waipiro Trading Co., Poverty Bay. Further research shows Mr Dawson to be a pioneer Waikato farmer from Dawson Road, Komakorau, who supplied the creamery, and with children attending the Komakorau Primary School there.

- Alan.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 April 15 12:34 BST (UK) »
That's cool Alan, no worries!  I hope that will prove fruitful for you, and that the info keeps coming in!
The obelisk looks lovely, very smart! 

Good luck with it all!

Cheers
Jeanne 😄
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 April 15 03:18 BST (UK) »
Still searching, but an interesting photograph has come to my attention. Pity it was not dated or inscribed with details. For now, I'm assuming it was taken at the unveiling.

- Alan.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 April 15 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hello again.

Re the P. Te WAI and Pua Ngareta MULLIGAN union of 1925 and possibly later with a CLARKE, I see (*) of Australia, has made extensive NZ enquiries. Unfortunately his published email address is no longer active, and I don't have membership of most of the forums he has been active on. If any one has a contact for him, or can bring this thread to his attention, we would appreciate it. He may have collected info that would help our research.

- Alan.

(*) Edit by Moderator: Name of living person removed to protect their privacy.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 April 15 14:05 BST (UK) »
Think I might have found your man on facebook!  Cross fingers!

I have sent him a message, not posted to his page, but privately through facebook, sorta like PM's on here!

Asked that if he is connected to Te Wai and & Pua, and is the (*) that had previously been on Rootschat, that there was something really good waiting for him on the ROOTSCHAT NZ Forum!

Hope he's the right guy and you get a reply from him!!

(*)

Cheers

Jeanne 😄

(*) Edit by Moderator: Name of living person removed to protect their privacy. Please use the PM system for communicating such information.

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 April 15 21:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks, much appreciated. - Alan.

Offline Trudyl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 April 15 22:37 BST (UK) »
Kia ora Allan
Im responding to your message you left on the Ngati Porou website. Ive posted your message on a number of Facebook pages that could help with your query. I Will let you know when I receive any feed back. There is a special service this Anzac in Waima, Tokomaru Bay as this is the place soldiers left for world War 1. I myself am from Tokomaru Bay and am related to the Mulligans through the Rylands.
Trudy