Author Topic: Tracing adopted child  (Read 1021 times)

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tracing adopted child
« on: Thursday 09 April 15 21:03 BST (UK) »
I discovered that my grandmother had a child in 1933 who was given up for adoption.

Today I decided to have a look to see if anyone with the same first name and date of birth was in the death registers.

I found someone born on the same date who had her name as a middle name - in the right area geographically.

When looking at the marriage records I found her maiden name - but when searching for a birth record there isn't one.

Does it seem possible that this woman was my missing aunt?  She is on one family tree on ancestry and have sent the owner a message asking if she knows if she was adopted (however it looks like someone who married in to that family so I'm not holding out a huge amount of hope)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing adopted child
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 April 15 22:22 BST (UK) »
From experience, children who were adopted out of their birth families as young babies tended to have their names changed to ones chosen by their adoptive parents.

If the child was adopted at a slightly older age and knew what their name was, then the chances are that the birth name was kept.

There are plenty of topics here on finding adopted people, although there is also the chance that if she was adopted as a baby, may not know she was adopted. Way back when, the subject of adoption was extremely sensitive to all parties, it's only over the years that attitudes have changed and adoptions are more frequently talked about.

If you do not have her name after adoption, then it will be almost impossible to find her.

I suggest you start by putting your name on one or more contact registers, this is the link to the GRO

https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records/the-adoption-contact-register

If you also google search 'adoption contact register' you will find several other places where you can register to be contacted.

Unless the name you are looking for was unbelievably rare, then the person you found just might be someone totally unrelated.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 April 15 23:01 BST (UK) »
Did you actually find her maiden name, or her name on that marriage, and she could have been married before and her maiden name not showing?

Apply for the marriage certificate?

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 April 15 23:42 BST (UK) »
Today I decided to have a look to see if anyone with the same first name and date of birth was in the death registers.

If she died without knowing she was adopted, or didn't tell anyone, there might be no way of proving it is the same person.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk