Author Topic: Annie Hill nee Whittaker  (Read 1362 times)

Offline damelia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Annie Hill nee Whittaker
« on: Friday 10 April 15 07:57 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

I am doing some research for my sister-in-law and was wondering if anyone could help me find some missing details.  Annie Hill my sister-in-law's great grandmother, migrated to Australia departing London on 27 November 1928 on the 'Esperance Bay'.  Traveling with her were her husband Ernest Frank Hill and 1 year old daughter Pearl Nancy Hill.  Annie and Ernest immigrated to Australia as Pearl had rickets and their doctor had advised them she needed more sunshine in order to improve her health. 

I have found the departure records from London but am yet to find their arrival date at Fremantle,  which was their destination and it is known that they lived in Perth somewhere.

Unfortunately for the family, Annie died in about 1930/31 from a heart condition which left Ernest to care for Pearl which he did so up until she was about 4 or 5.  She was then placed in a home and put up for adoption.  The details of the adoption are known.  What is not known is the date of Annie's death and what happened to Ernest as that information was never made known to the family who adopted Pearl.  My sister-in-law would like to know the death date of Annie and if Ernest stayed on in Australia or returned to England. 

Any information in regard to these missing details would be greatly appreciated.  It would seem my research efforts to date have proved fruitless.

Thanks for your help,
Anne

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Hill nee Whittaker
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 April 15 08:14 BST (UK) »
they married in 1926 in Bristol,Gloucestershire
I will try and find Annies birth - do you know how old she was when she died ?
added
this looks like her - so - was she only 26 when she died ??
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2FXK-F4T
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline damelia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 April 15 08:48 BST (UK) »
I have Annie's baptism date as 5 April 1905 and I have her marriage as taking place in the second quarter of 1926.  Annie died when Pearl was about 4 or 5 years old.  Pearl was born in the third quarter of 1927 in England so that would mean Annie died in about 1930-1932 while in Western Australia.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 April 15 12:29 BST (UK) »
ERNEST FRANK Hill
Death 3 June 1940, Karrakatta, , Western Australia
Birth Date, 7 Dec 1904

NANCY nee Whittaker HILL
Death 2 October 1932, Karrakatta, Western Australia
Birth 21 March 1905
(fits with Baptism date of 5 April 1905)

Source Familysearch.Org

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline damelia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 April 15 12:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the information Trish.  My sister-in-law is going to be one very, very happy person.

With gratitude,
Anne

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 April 15 13:29 BST (UK) »
Your welcome :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 April 15 17:18 BST (UK) »
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/32533656?searchTerm=%22Nancy%20Hill%22&searchLimits=l-state=Western+Australia|||l-decade=193|||l-year=1932
 - death notice for Nancy, gives you an address - 28 Monger-street, Perth.

The image of the grave shows that Ernest did not die in WA (and indeed there is no WA death certificate on the index for him).
https://s3.amazonaws.com/bg.ami.com/headstones/images/20140405/6117511.jpg
His name may have been added in remembrance, not necessarily because he was buried there.

http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/Scripts/PassengerSearch.asp
 - you can see here their arrival.  Search with 1928 and the ship name, or passenger list barcode 11554534
They arrived 28 Dec 1928  and have been indexed  "Frank E" (Mr), "J" (Mrs), and "P" (Miss)

Do you know where Ernest was born? I cannot find an obvious birth for him in England/Wales that matches up.  I also can't figure out his military service, although the grave image says he died at Dunkirk.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline damelia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 April 15 04:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Trish1120,

The record for Ernest's death on 3 June 1940 is not accurate.  The date on the plaque was a guess made by his daughter Pearl who wanted some type of closure about her father before she died, there does not appear to be a death record for him in Western Australia.  He may well have returned to England after Pearl became a ward of the state of Western Australia and adopted.  My sister-in-law would really like to know if in fact he went back to England and is buried there.  Perhaps he moved to another part of Australia.  Thanks for you ongoing help.