Author Topic: Origin of the name Keddy  (Read 6815 times)

Offline suek2075

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Origin of the name Keddy
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 18:11 BST (UK) »
I've been tracing Scottish 'Keddies' for nigh on twenty years now, and I've found them listed variously as Keddy, Kedie, Keedie, Keddy, Reddie, Reddy, Heddy, Keddle, and a few others...I've lost a few along the way, possibly because they aren't listed as something I recognise as Keddie, and once you get back to 1820 it's almost impossible to identify the various families as there are a whole bundle of Johns, James, Davids, Andrews and Williams in the same area around the Borders, with nothing to show who they belong to. As far as I am aware at the moment I don't have any Catholics though! Maybe you should take a look in the Catholic records on Scotlands People?
Keddie, Hutson - Scottish Borders and Edinburgh
Menzies, Montague - Penicuik and Castle Douglas
McEvoy, Cavanagh - Ireland

Offline DEGENHEARTKEDDY

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 00:39 BST (UK) »
Keddy comes from the Basque term Bokedy meaning friend. They are a Cruithneach people from tribes Crownie and Cernonnicae. They are called Fidach in ancient language's and became clan Ross, Fergus, and Monro in Ireland originally pronounced Oorus. During the Stuart revolution they changed their name to Goddeau, Godin whilst in France.  Alexander 1 and second as well as William settled New Ross, Mahone Bay and were the Mayors of this settlement for 300 years and formed first parliament in Halifax

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 May 17 03:08 BST (UK) »
I'm going to go against the grain and suggest the name is, in fact, Irish.  A fair number of Catholics seem to have the name on the census.

It seems to just be a variant of Keady.  The spelling is no great obstacle.  I have seen a priest change the spelling of his own name in the parish register.  My G grandmother spelt her maiden name about four or five different ways.  I've seen vowells added and taken away from names. 

Anything with a Gaelic origin was certainly modified.  Sometimes this made Irish names the same as certain British names even though they had separate origins and probably originally sounded distinct from one another.  The more complicated townlands have many and diverse spellings.

One website gives its origin as Laois, which correct or not, is quite near enough to Wicklow.  Besides, many surnames are derived from personal names which could be found in more than one place,

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 25 May 17 03:56 BST (UK) »
My tuppence worth....

On the face of it Richard is not a 'common' Scottish name i.e. I would have to disagree on a Scottish ancestry unless they came from Ireland originally, followed traditional names before heading back to Ireland as I believe this did happen, coming & going?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline swampdraig

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 26 March 21 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Interesting I found this, my Grandfather Patrick Keddy is from Wicklow in Ireland. Patrick migrated to Wales.