Author Topic: 1871 Census Jersey=McFarling/McFarlane  (Read 5329 times)

Offline caroline hammill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census Jersey=McFarling/McFarlane
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 August 05 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Gazza,

I've been away on holiday so only just read your message.

I notice in your last message you say you have received her marraige cert.....on this her name is : Alice Jane Mcfarling b1858....on your first message you said her name was : Alice Laura Sophia Mcfarling/mcfarlane.

If her name was Alice Jane then that could be her on the 1861 census putting JANE instead of Alice as her first name and the birth yr being out by 2 yrs.
I'll still keep looking for her, but i definataly cant find her on the 1861 census as Alice Jane b1858

CAZ
DEVON : Gillard,Horn,Powlesland,Cooper,Crocker,Mallett,Branch
GLOUCESTERSHIRE : Hanks,Pratt,Bowen,Hall,Compton,Lawrence,Morris,Williams, Izard,Dancey,Derrett
WORCESTERSHIRE : James, Wheatcroft

Offline caroline hammill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 August 05 09:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Gazza

Not having any luck on the 1871 census either, the nearest i could get was

1871  St.Helier, Jersey.   58 cant read the address

Eliza M mauger   1841   Head   St Helier

Charles E   1860   Son   St Helier

Edwin B   1862   Son   St Helier

Jane Mcfarlan   1857   Servant   St Helier

SOURCE : RG10/5756
FOLIO : 164
PAGE : 8

When looking on the 1861 census there are only 11 possibles to choose from and on the 1871 census there are only 9.......thats why im even more convinced that your Alice used her middle name JANE on the 1861 & 71 census.....plus there is a Jane on the 1861 census with the right parents and there is a Jane on the 1871 census....just the birth yr is out by a couple of years but that was quite normal for them not to keep to the same birth year on each census.

Let me know what you think.

Did you want me to see if i could find her when she's married on any census.....or do you already have that information.

CAZ
DEVON : Gillard,Horn,Powlesland,Cooper,Crocker,Mallett,Branch
GLOUCESTERSHIRE : Hanks,Pratt,Bowen,Hall,Compton,Lawrence,Morris,Williams, Izard,Dancey,Derrett
WORCESTERSHIRE : James, Wheatcroft

Offline gazza1966

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 August 05 10:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Caroline,

Yes, i had a lookup on Alice Jane McFarling, and a reply i had the nearest name they found was Alice Laura Sophia McFarlane b.1861 in Jersey, so i'm always thinking of possibilities, maybe the spelling of names and dates could have errors, just like George on the 1861 census, that was suppose to be John.
I forgot to mention on Alice's marriage cert. it also states place of birth, St.Helier, so as there isn't any mention on Alice on any of the census, i think the best thing i can do is send for the birth cert. and hope she really does exist, Oh by the way, i have the marriage cert. of the sister of Alice, Jane married Marcellious A.E. Hart in 1874 in St.Helier, stating Jane was 18 years old.
Maybe Alice and Jane could be one person, and there might be errors in the records, i have the marriage certs. on both, but there isn't a mention of Alice was married the first time.
For me this is quite a puzzle, but i'm sure i'll find the answer.

Kind Regards
   Gary
McFarling - Quebec, Canada. and St.Helier, Jersey, Channel Is.
Flanagan - Waterford, Clonmel Co.Tipperary Ireland. Belfast N.Ireland.

Offline gazza1966

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 16:39 BST (UK) »
Yes Alice and Jane are actually the same person.

Offline gazza1966

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census Jersey=McFarling/McFarlane (Complete)
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Please can i have a lookup on the 1871 Census on Jersey for alice Laura Sophia McFarling/McFarlane and her family, the info i have is that Alice was born 1861 in Jersey, and i couldn't see her on the 1861 Census.

Any reply will be very much appreciated!

Thankyou
   Gary ;)