Author Topic: Jemima Gage Cowan  (Read 2053 times)

Offline YO8

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jemima Gage Cowan
« on: Thursday 16 April 15 23:24 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information for Jemima Gage Cowan who emigrated to Canada from Scotland in 1926 and married James Baillie also from Scotland on 26th August 1927 in Walkerville Ontario.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Jemima Gage Cowan
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 April 15 09:04 BST (UK) »
There is a border crossing document dated 12 Feb 1932 for James Baillie. The border document has his birth date listed as 8 Apr 1900. It also indicates he was born in Dalmellington, Scotland and was a chauffeur which matches the information given on the marriage registration. He was travelling alone and listed his nearest relative in Canada as Albert Phillips of Putnam, Ontario. He was going to New York to board a ship on 13 Feb 1932.

The UK Incoming Passengers List database at Ancestry has him on the Cameronia which arrived in Glasgow on 22 Feb 1932. Again he was alone. The passenger list indicates his intended future permanent residence was going to be Scotland. He gave an address in Kirkconnel.

I noticed there is a 1945 marriage for a Jemima Gage Baillie to David Rintoul Brown in Shotts, Lanarkshire. Unfortunately an image can't be viewed but it is a possibility. I couldn't find a death for either in Scotland. I also couldn't find an incoming passenger for Jemima returning to Scotland.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 April 15 21:18 BST (UK) »
I am wondering if she went to Scotland ahead of him?

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline YO8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 April 15 22:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for the quick replies.
It makes interesting reading as Jemima was born in Airdrie Scotland and her father was living in Shotts when she emigrated to Canada.
The puzzle is why did they travel separately?
With a bit of research I found James Baillie returned to his mothers address in Kirkconnel.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 April 15 01:03 BST (UK) »
Delete. Was thinking of a different thread.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline YO8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 April 15 15:03 BST (UK) »
I have obtained a copy of the marriage certificate for Jemima Gage Cowan or Baillie and David Rintoul Brown and confirms that it is her. She gave her status as a widow. I would now like to find out if she and Robert Baillie had any children?

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 April 15 19:14 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon YO8,

It would be difficult to find out if Jemima and Robert had children due to the Canadian 100 year privacy law as well as the Canadian census only available up to the 1921 :-( You might want to consider contacting the local churches in the Walkerville, Essex Co area to see if they have baptism records for this pair :-) Same with contacting the area public libraries for birth notice/obits look-ups in their newspaper archives. If the library doesn't do look-ups, you may be able to get the local genealogy or history group to do it. There is a chance some children would still be living, along with any other descendants. I checked the Canada411 white pages site and there are only 3 Brailles listed in Ontario.

Hope this helps,

JDC

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline YO8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 April 15 19:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information I made an error as Jemima married James  Baillie not Robert as I posted earlier. I am now of the opinion that there were no children. Since my last post I have found a death certificate for James in Shotts in Scotland in 1943 and Jemima is stated as his wife. When she returned to Scotland is a mystery but I assume as you posted earlier she may have returned before him. Again thank you very much for your help

Offline Rabbaillie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 October 19 07:40 BST (UK) »
Good morning YO8

James Baillie and Jemima gage cowan brought a son back to Scotland from Canada and adopted him in 1933/35 he was left in a home in Canada somewhere.

I don't have any information on his paternal parents.

The person they adopted was my father, unfortunately he died not very long ago.

I do know that James and Jemima died abroad somewhere but I don't know where.
I hope this is helpful .
 Rab.