Author Topic: The Quick Family  (Read 2678 times)

Offline barbara248

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Quick Family
« on: Saturday 18 April 15 07:23 BST (UK) »
I am trying to research my Quick family roots and have so far gotten back to Thomas Patrick Quick who was born in St Andrews, Holborn, Middlesex, England on the 29th August 1816 to William and Elizabeth (according to the baptism records).  Thomas Quick is my 2nd great grandfather.  Originally I thought that Thomas was the son of William Quick and Elizabeth Price who were married in Liverpool, particularly as the occupation of Thomas's father on his baptism records is Mariner (and William is shown as a Mariner on his marriage records).  I am further confused by William's name appearing as Quirk on some records and Quick on others.  The other children of the union I have found were all born in Liverpool and the name recorded on their records is Quirk.  This does fit somewhat as I was always told that the Quicks were originally O'Quirks and they changed their name when they came to England (maybe from Ireland).  I also find it hard to reconcile how one sibling came to be born in London some years after his older siblings were born in Liverpool and, although that is possible, I haven't been able to establish a link as there are no census records for Thomas before he was married in 1944 to Caroline Marchmont or for William and Elizabeth at all.  Can anyone help me with this?  Thanks.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Quick Family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 April 15 07:39 BST (UK) »
Is it your tree showing on ancestry for him?

Just wondered if there are 2 William and Elizabeth Quick/Quirk, and also 2 Thomas Quick/Quirk, sons, one in Liverpool and one in London.

Added:
There appear to be 2 Thomas Quick's born to 'William and Elizabeth' in St Marylebone, one 10th June 1816 (baptised October),  and one 29th August (baptised September).  Both times William is a mariner.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 April 15 07:54 BST (UK) »
Is this the Thomas who was baptised in Marylebone 29th August 1816 (father Mariner)

There is also a possible brother John baptised in the same parish born 10th June and baptised 24 June 1814
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 April 15 07:57 BST (UK) »
Just found that John, also, rosie99.

So Liverpool family may be completely unrelated.

Added:
No, born 29 August, baptised September, from image. 'Born' written at top of column where the person who performs the ceremony normally records his name

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 April 15 08:01 BST (UK) »
Just a note of caution! ;D

Quirk is a very common Manx surname; and therefore will also be found in Liverpool - the main port with links to the Isle of Man.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline barbara248

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 April 15 08:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks chempat and Rosie99...my family tree on ancestry is Smiles/Quick...there are 2 different entries on Ancestry for William Quick and William Quirk for a marriage to Elizabeth Price but the date and place is the same so I think they are the same.  I haven't found the John but I will have a look...I've been chopping and changing spouses trying to find a link so the John Quick might help.  I have noticed the Isle of Man link and there are so many of them! 

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 April 15 11:06 BST (UK) »
Just a note of caution! ;D

Quirk is a very common Manx surname; and therefore will also be found in Liverpool - the main port with links to the Isle of Man.

spot on KGarrad
here in Garston,Liverpool there are both Quick and Quirk families - good friends of mine ...
http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html
all events
surname quick
1582 onwards - earliest records are all in Childwall ,Liverpool for the Quick family
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 April 15 13:26 BST (UK) »
Gaelic "O'Cuirc", the Manx "Mac Cuirc" meaning "descendant of, or son of Corc"

I wouldn't worry too much about spellings, many people didn't read/write so others wrote their name on records how they sounded to them and so spelling was unimportant, the important thing is to find the records that prove they are the same person.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline barbara248

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 April 15 07:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Garstonite...will have a look at that link.
Looks like it could be a bit of a challenge, Iluleah...I like to problem solve :)