Author Topic: Looking for great grandads marriage  (Read 3176 times)

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for great grandads marriage
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 April 15 11:28 BST (UK) »
This may not be of any help but familysearch also has the following record:

Samuel Sloane married Mary Barnett in Co. Down on 17th March 1852.
Samuel's father's name was Nicholas. I would think it's a possibility that Samuel was one of your Nicholas's siblings and their father was also a Nicholas.

Bev
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline Sloanequest

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 April 15 14:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for help, I appreciate it all. Still not found my way around this site yet but will keep practicing. Does anyone know how I can find out which church and if the records are available. Thanks
Patrick Sloan, Henry Ward, Annie Jeffrey, William Bridson

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 April 15 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Sloanequest and welcome to Rootschat. You will find your way round eventually, we were all in the same boat at one time.

I think that records for Roman Catholic churches could have been kept at the church of the marriage, baptism etc, but sometimes if there was more than one Catholic church in the district, records for the whole parish could have been kept at one of them.

It really would be worthwhile you having a look at Rootsireland, which is where I got the information so far. It seems there is a document for the 1858 marriage but you would have to pay. I have no credits at the moment. I would post an enquiry on the Co. Down board if I were you. I have put a link on that board to this thread for you.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 April 15 19:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   According to the Ulster Historical Foundation Nicholas SLOAN and Hannah Burns were married in 1858 in Co. Down. It is a pay to view site to obtain any further information. See https://www.google.co.uk/#q=Ulster+Historical+foundation

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim