Author Topic: Need help with old Welsh family album - identification and handwriting?  (Read 18888 times)

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with old Welsh family album - identification and handwriting?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 10 August 15 14:25 BST (UK) »
Was wondering if you had managed to get any further on in your search
Nesta

Offline hettie2000

• RootsChat Member
  • Gt-grandfather JC Oldham
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 16:47 BST (UK) »
Was wondering if you had managed to get any further on in your search
Nesta

Hi Nesta, thanks for your message - the album has been on my mind lately and I'm itching to get back to it! I put it down because I was getting quite frustrated and couldn't join-the-dots. I'll update the thread soon, when I've refreshed my memory as to where I was up to!
Hyde, Oldham, Anderton, Barber, Lord, Bowler, Roebuck, Hadfield, Cowell - all Cheshire/Lancashire

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 17:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you - I was wondering how you were getting on as that kind of challenge appeals to me and as I browse around auctions and shops I seem to have half an eye out for that kind of stuff ?
Look forward to an update.

By the way - I have an Uncle Bob 'Stiniog ! who comes from Blaenau Ffestiniog ! He has always been known like that and I know that my mother (whose Mum came from that area ) also had relatives who had the same tag after their names.....it is a very common of labelling a relative in an area which tends to have a lot of people with the same name.

Nesta

Offline hettie2000

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 17:32 BST (UK) »
It's funny that we both look for more photos etc to research into, as if we don't have enough of our own family 'stuff', we take on other people's too! But I love it so much that I hate to think of old photos being abandoned and unidentified  ;).

By the way - I have an Uncle Bob 'Stiniog !

This is great, thank you! And makes a lot of sense, since one of the problems I've had researching this album is the repetition in the names.... so adding the place-name label is helpful, and I didn't realise it was done quite so often. Not coming from Wales myself, you see! It's a great experience, delving into Welsh ancestry.
Hyde, Oldham, Anderton, Barber, Lord, Bowler, Roebuck, Hadfield, Cowell - all Cheshire/Lancashire

Offline hettie2000

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 09:57 BST (UK) »
I just wanted to add that I've started a series of blog posts about this album on my wordpress website (link on the left), for anyone who might be interested. I'll try to give credit to this forum as much as I can, because without your help I'd still be stuck! And I plan to post here too if & when I find out more.

Offline mandywills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 07 November 15 01:05 GMT (UK) »
Another possibility? Ewythr is the Welsh for uncle - perhaps Stiniog is a diminutive of Festiniog, as in Blaenau Festiniog, so Ewythr Stiniog Brawd Taid would be Uncle Stiniog, Granddad's Brother.

Correct, Stiniog is a diminutive of Ffestiniog, Uncle Stiniog,grandads brother.  Wasn't Sgybor ddu in Tanygrisiau?

Offline elacass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 02 March 19 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Ewythr Stiniog, Stiniog is how we shorten Ffestiniog. And Ysgubor Ddu was once a small farm in Tanygrisiau, a mile out of Blaenau Ffestiniog.
We have a local historian group here in Blaenau Ffestiniog who do excellent work gathering story’s, photos, recording history of the town and it’s community. They have a small exhibition here in town with many historical photographs. There are a couple of faces from your photographs that I recognise, and I am positive if you were to show/share them with our local history society group, they will help identify them.  If you would like help contacting Blaenau historians society please leave a message via private mail

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 03 March 19 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Interesting to see this old thread revived. The OP hasn’t been logged in for a couple of years but if she has the same email address she should be notified of your post.

I am not an expert but the large group photo I think dates prior to 1890, so if the photographer whose name is stamped on the back of this photo was active in the early 1900s this might be a reprint.

The other photos are later. At a guess, late 1890s?

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 03 March 19 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Boys were indeed dressed as girls,it was the custom until they were five or so and “ breeched” ie put into trousers but the standing child is older than five.
It may be a girl with shaven head after say an illness like scarlet fever,when it was often done.
Also many people thought that to shave a girl’s head would make the hair much thicker and stronger.
I see a sort of bow/Rosette with long streamers on her tartan dress,it looks dark.
Could it be a sign of mourning I  wonder,either a family member or even Queen Viktoria 1901.
What an interesting find,how a family can let  something like that go is beyond me..

Best of luck, keep us posted.
 Viktoria.