Author Topic: Ancestry trees  (Read 38964 times)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry trees
« Reply #18 on: Monday 20 April 15 13:28 BST (UK) »

If the tree owner answers, i'll help get what i can right.

I hope it's not the same answer I received when I asked about a relationship - "I am not connected to WA I just follow every person I come across."   8)

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 20 April 15 16:17 BST (UK) »
http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/4377996/family?cfpid=7028531900

Why put in the effort to produce a wildly inaccurate tree?! The work of randomly connecting all these people must have taken hours!!

Mike

Hi Mike,

Just noticed this one.  Although it is a subject that has been discussed, even by me, It don't bother me.  Repeat away.   It is my particular "bęte noir".  It  annoy the bejesus out of me to see all the misinformation on my family on other trees.

As for embargo no way, lets discuss what we want even if it has been said before.  As someone said we don't have to join in.    But if we do lets play nicely! Some people may have missed the other posts or be new to Roots chat.

By the way Mike agree with your last comment - why do they do it?

Jane  ;D
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 20 April 15 16:44 BST (UK) »
I suspect the answer to "why do they do it?" is because they can and they want to. If someone wants to trace the ancestry of people they are not related to, for their own amusement and to pass the time, why shouldn't they? If someone wants to try and connect 300,000 people together, again for their own amusement, why shouldn't they? No one is forcing other people to look at their trees - if you are clicking on other people's trees then you have chosen to do so.

As to the inaccurate trees on Ancestry - I wonder whether the owner of many of these trees started out believing Ancestry's advertising hype and thinking that the "hints" were Ancestry telling them who their ancestors were. By the time they realised the error of their ways they had built a mess of an inaccurate tree. On realising how much effort would be needed to correct it they lost the will to live (and who can blame them). So they either stopped, or stopped that particular tree and started another one. An inaccurate tree on Ancestry therefore does not necessarily mean the owner is a complete idiot.

As to similar threads on here - if you clicked on the thread to read it, you chose to do so. If you are reading every single thread that is posted here then you obviously have a lot more spare time than I have!

If we all thought exactly the same things all the time, what a terribly boring place the world would be.
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 20 April 15 18:04 BST (UK) »

As to similar threads on here - if you clicked on the thread to read it, you chose to do so. If you are reading every single thread that is posted here then you obviously have a lot more spare time than I have!

If we all thought exactly the same things all the time, what a terribly boring place the world would be.

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 20 April 15 18:11 BST (UK) »
Sorry Jm, meant to add comment.

I do not click onto every thread but read what takes my fancy and reply if I want too. I have not got a lot of time on my hands. Work full time and the usual running a home blah blah. I come in here to unwind and snatch s minute between tea cooking, eating it and washing up.

The wrong info on trees will continue to bug me. But that's my opinion and mine alone. If I can get facts right why can't they?

Jane

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 20 April 15 18:28 BST (UK) »
Maybe there should be a board for "Ancestry [other genealogy site's also included] moaners."
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 20 April 15 18:45 BST (UK) »
Maybe there should be a board for "Ancestry [other genealogy site's also included] moaners."

Do you mean me?

I am not a moaner!  It a healthy discussion with a few differences of opinion. Who is to say whose view is right.

I agree with JM if we all thought the same world would be a boring place.

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 20 April 15 19:15 BST (UK) »

Let's not stop there YT, why not a board for "People bemoaning "Ancestry [other genealogy site's also included] moaners" " ?  then of course there can be
"Action against "People bemoaning "Ancestry [other genealogy site's also included] moaners" " also known as Get a Grip"

I jest of course, as I do a fair bit of moaning myself. ;)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 20 April 15 19:37 BST (UK) »
I find the moaning about Ancestry etc a perfect example of deja vu.
Why?

Because it duplicates the moans about the IGI when it appeared on line in 1999.

The more available the IGI became the more the moaning increased.
I wonder if Fred Filby ever regretted negotiating with the LDS to bring it over here to the UK when he heard the moans it later received.

When it was first introduced to the UK in 1976 (on microfiche) every one was happy with this great new resource but gradually the moaning could be heard.
By the time the IGI was released on CD-ROM the moaning was about at the level the moans about Ancestry are today. After it was released online they hit a crescendo until now they have more or less subsided again.
Possibly because few genealogists actively search the IGI now, but access it as a part of the ever increasing familysearch website rather than a stand alone data set.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.