Author Topic: Moved abroad?  (Read 1500 times)

Offline NIMROD

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Moved abroad?
« on: Monday 20 April 15 19:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Please can anybody point me in the right direction? I am trying to find a living relative and I would like to find out if he has moved abroad. I know there are organisations who can help trace overseas but I need to know first if he has actually gone to prevent a wild goose chase. Who should I contact and would they disclose the information. Perhaps they can confirm somebody has emmigrated but not at liberty to say where?
Any help would be warmly received.

Many thanks

Nimrod

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Moved abroad?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 April 15 21:04 BST (UK) »
Your relationship to the 'missing' person will probably determine whether any organisation will actually be able to assist you.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 12:06 BST (UK) »
Approximately what sort of timescale are we talking about? e.g. would he have gone in the 1960s,  1980s, or quite recently? You could see if he suddenly disappears off the electoral roll (without an accompanying death).

There might be government organisations who do have details (e.g. if he's claiming pension from abroad), but I doubt they will be willing to hand out information.  For that matter, in many cases the government simply doesn't know.  You don't get an exit interview at the airport asking how long you're going to be gone, and even if there was you could do what my sister did which is intend to stay for a couple months and end up finding a job and staying more permanently.  (There are not actually accurate figures for how many Brits now live abroad).

Depending how common his name is, it might be worth just going through the phone books for the major expat destinations.
Other possibles: if he is still is contact with an alumni organisation or similar, they are usually willing to pass on a message (they don't hand out details but will forward yours to him).
If you know where he was last living, particularly if it was relatively recent, a notice in the local press may turn up a friend or neighbour who can put you in touch or at least knows where he might have gone.

Tracing organisations such as the Salvation Army can help with both those in the UK and abroad, and I'm sure they've dealt with cases like this where someone moved abroad without the family knowing.  I would talk to them first (if it's a case where you're trying to reunite with a lost relative you haven't seen in X years - they do not do "genealogy" requests)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline NIMROD

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 19:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your replies. The last contact we had was in the mid 70s and he was in the Buntingford area.  I have not found him on any electoral register online but they appear only to start from about 2002. I also know that up to the last six months there is no record of a death as GRO have checked it. Scotland and Ireland may be possible areas to search if for no other reason than being closest. You have certainly given me food for thought for which I am most grateful. Should we be lucky enough to locate him I will post the news here including how we succeeded.

Very Best Regards

Nimrod