Author Topic: Searching for anything on Bridget McGuggin/McGaggin/McGuggan from Ireland  (Read 1398 times)

Offline Tigers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am researching Bridget McGuggin/McGaggin/McGuggan. She would be born abt 1813 in Ireland and emigrated to Australia on the Red Rover in 1832 with her sister Mary Ann. In 1833 she married Charles William Brown and had two children (John and Charlotte Mary Anne) and according to a death notice she died in 1837 after a long illness. I cannot find a BDM entry for her death and know absolutely nothing of her history in Ireland or her family there. I would appreciate any assistance anyone can provide on this very challenging research.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for anything on Bridget McGuggin/McGaggin/McGuggan from Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 08:49 BST (UK) »
That is before the advent of Civil Registration in Ireland.
So, you need to look at Parish Registers.

And, for that, you need to know in which parish or townland, and which religious denomination.

You could try the Church Records on www.irishgenealogy.ie
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 09:08 BST (UK) »
Have you tried tracing her sister Mary Ann to see if you can get any more information in the family? Mary Ann's marriage or death certificate might give names of their parents or descendants might have been handed down information you haven't found.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Tigers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 10:45 BST (UK) »
Bridget's sister Mary Ann married George Pepper and BDM entries of births to this couple were in Newcastle region. There are two BDM death entries for Mary Pepper - one in Paddington in 1877 showing the age at death of 59 which does not fit. The other entry is for Goulburn but that does not fit geographically.

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 19:21 BST (UK) »
You may be interested in a book called 'Fair Game' by Elizabeth Rushden and Perry McIntyre, ISBN 9780980335439

"Young women as fair game? In 1832, the British government sent 400 young single women to Sydney and Hobart on two ships–the Red Rover from Cork and Princess Royal from London–to balance the male-dominated societies. Viewed as colourful butterflies alighting on the antipodean shores, the women were ‘fair game’ for employers and potential husbands. This book analyses how this migration was allowed to happen while telling the women’s stories, describing who netted them in the hiring scramble and how they ultimately spread their wings."

Bev
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline Tigers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 April 15 09:43 BST (UK) »
Bev, thanks for the name of the book and I have heard something about it previously. It seems that not much is known of Bridget prior to her arrival and there is no BDM record for her known death in Sydney is 1837 which is strange indeed.

I wait patiently to see if any further information surfaces ....

Thanks to everyone for their effort.

Paul