Author Topic: Finding the father of Francis Fabian Madison Sperry and Reginald Poutney Sperry  (Read 22521 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Finding the father of Francis Fabian Madison Sperry and Reginald Poutney Sperry
« Reply #135 on: Friday 24 April 15 11:20 BST (UK) »
Honestly I wouldn't get too excited about that passenger list!  I just though with the combination of an 1891-2 date and the Sperry name it was worth posting as a possible.  But Mrs Sperry's age isn't a perfect match, and frankly they could be anyone.

Once you have that 1893 birth certificate with a name and occupation for Mr Sperry it will help a lot. :)
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Woody-Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Finding the father of Francis Fabian Madison Sperry and Reginald Poutney Sperry
« Reply #136 on: Friday 24 April 15 11:37 BST (UK) »
Yep. Fair enough. I have been trying to access the links to Denver library and email but keep getting cut off and blocked. Will try again perhaps tomorrow. It is ANZAC day here tomorrow so I won't have much spare time.

Incidentally, Fay landed on Gallipoli 25 April 1915. He was severely wounded by shrapnel (He told me the fragment cut his rifle in half before entering his body) about 5 months later on 22 September so must have seen some horrendous combat in those months. He was not evacuated to ship until 1 November so spent at least 5 week lying on the beach injured and then another 2 weeks on board ship, before spending a further 6 months hospitalised and recuperating before being sent back to France in June 1916. He must have been shot several times after the shell burst because he still had 5 Turkish bullets in him when he was examined in hospital here in NZ shortly before he died.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Friday 24 April 15 11:45 BST (UK) »
When searching for William Wilford in English papers of the 1880s/ 1890s, I came across a report of a tenant farmers dinner in a Leicestershire paper in 1890. It said that one person who would be missed was William Wilford of Wartnaby who had recently removed to America. Looking at census information I think this this William could be a William born 1833 who has a son also William born 1858. Neither are on 1891 census so I think the whole family must have emigrated. This gives a second William (the son) of similar age to our William somewhere in USA after 1890. So if our William appears to be in two different places at the same time - that could be the reason.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Woody-Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Friday 24 April 15 12:08 BST (UK) »
That is interesting. Over the past few days it has become apparent that W Wilford was , for all his faults a very clever man and involved in major industrial manufacturing of bricks and brick kilns. It make sense that more than one person was involved as the business seems to have likely had interests in USA, Canada England, and perhaps Ireland and Scotland as well. The advent of bigamy and fraud may have devolved from a parallel increasing desperate circumstance involving business dealings or an illness. I guess we will find out sooner or later :-)

Offline Peter Michel

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Thursday 08 March 18 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi I was interested to see this trail. I'm an Auckland family historian and writing a book about the 8 x great - grandparents of an 80 year old Auckland lady. Just completing the Pountney family chapter now. Unfortunately, I have a deadline to send it to the printer in 3 weeks (by 28 March 2018). However, would be interested to contact you and could share information about the Pountneys with you - even if it is past this time. I have a very comprehensive family tree of the Pountneys compiled by a chap in England and 2 x Pountneys in NZ. Took decades to put it all together. My email is *  Cheers Peter Michel, Living Family Histories Ltd

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least two postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php