Author Topic: Finding the father of Francis Fabian Madison Sperry and Reginald Poutney Sperry  (Read 22538 times)

Offline Woody-Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
These two men were my Grandfather (Fay) and great Uncle (Reggie). They provided information to the NZ Army that they were born in 1893 (New York) and 1895 (Chicago) respectively. Their mother was Mary Ann Sperry who apparently migrated from England to USA then to New Zealand in the late 1800's or early 1900's and resided in Parnell, Auckland New Zealand.

A newspaper cutting published in the Auckland Star in 1917 indicated that their Uncle was Admiral Sperry of the U.S.navy but I am unable to confirm the veracity of this.

The "handed-down" info I have from family is that Mary Ann moved to NZ with both these boys when they were very young. I was told their father had been killed by a horse and that he had been a Doctor. However, I can find no trace of Fay and Reggie's fathers name, or anything about him. I do not know whether he was originally from England or US or elsewhere, oe even if he actually came to NZ with Mary Ann and her two sons.

Mary Ann Sperry later married or lived with a man named Cullerne in Auckland NZ. I believe her maiden name was Pountney or Poutney and she had origins in England.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Finding the father of Francis Fabian Madison Sperry and Reginald Poutney Sperry
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 10:20 BST (UK) »
You would only have two choices for their father IF he did come to New Zealand. I have just ruled them both out since they were dead before Reginald was born. So I don't think that their father was in NZ

NZ deaths between 1800 and 1916 (I say 1916 because one of them used his mother as NOK, Mrs Cullerne and not his father Sperry)

NZBDM death:
1966/39273   Sperry    Reginald Pountney       72Y
http://www.aucklandmuseum.com/war-memorial/online-cenotaph/record/C18721?rs=%2fwar-memorial%2fonline-cenotaph%2fsearch%3fn%3dsperry&ck=f6e98448ee46f00e21c0d16f69dac62f&ordinal=2

Later death for Fabian Sperry
http://www.aucklandmuseum.com/war-memorial/online-cenotaph/record/C18722

So you could apply for Reginalds death PRINTOUT as a last resort and it would name his father.
The printout is the most detailed and cheapest option
https://www.bdmonline.dia.govt.nz/
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Woody-Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Finding the father of Francis Fabian Madison Sperry and Reginald Poutney Sperry
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 10:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Whiteout7. This seems a little odd though, as those two deaths are before the supposed birth dates of Fay and Reggie. It is also possible that the father was estranged and died much later.

I believe these two as young boys had a very sorry home life and ended up in an orphanage before heading out of Auckland to find their own ways; I assume about the time their mother began a new relationship with Mr Cullerne. I have no definite idea what events transpired prior to Mary Ann Sperry's association with Mr Cullerne. Thanks for looking though.  :)

As to the U.S Admiral, I guess there might be a strong amount of info about his family tree somewhere that somebody might know some detail about.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 11:08 BST (UK) »
Still looking at the possible Uncle

*possible uncle U.S. Navy Admiral Charles Stillman Sperry, who was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., 3 September 1847?  Admiral Sperry and his wife, Edith Marcy Smith Sperry, are buried in Section 2, Site 1102 of Arlington National Cemetery

* no not this one as he had 5 sisters and they were raised by an uncle.
https://books.google.co.nz/books?id=BmNBBAAAQBAJ&pg=PA33&lpg=PA33&dq=%22Charles+Stillman+Sperry%22+parents&source=bl&ots=e3-wkve1MY&sig=8V1bouQtwJqEiwQk_ba_LKf3i14&hl=en&sa=X&ei=gB82VYW5H8jHmwWyv4GQDg&ved=0CBwQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22Charles%20Stillman%20Sperry%22%20parents&f=false

You would suppose he a was a relative of some type?
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 11:34 BST (UK) »
Is this your information?

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GENANZ/1997-10/0876816231

Pountney, Mary Ann/Marjie Anne/Maize/Polly born Eng.Warickshire. 1876May17-
3 Church Rd. Lodge rd.Birmingham,War,England
Parents:William Pountney 1828 gun maker Ann Parry 1830
Spouses:William Wilford/Henry Sperry 1.m.Henry Baylie Cullerne
Children: 1.m.Fabian,Reginal,2.m.
2.m. Harry (Bart)/Henry Owen, Leslie Carroll 1902

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GENANZ/1997-10/0878113860

Cullerne, Henry Baylieborn Eng.Kent.52 Milton Rd.Milton 1856Sep08
Parents: Baylie Henry Cullerne Mary Ann Cartwright
Deptd.Tilbury Engalnd on`Ormuz' for Sydney 12 Feb l892
spouse: Mary Ann PountneyMairze/Polly/Mary Ann Sperry (nee Pountney)
Children: Harry (Bart)/Henry Owen, Leslie Carol CullerneAdd.in
NZ.Abbotsford St.Newmarket,Auckland
Died:1937July10 Auckland NZ
1937July10 Auckland NZ

((If She was Mary Wilford before becoming Mary Sperry, then this would help people find the Sperry marriage #important clue))
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)

Offline Woody-Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 11:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks whiteout7. Looks like the Uncle / nephew story in the Auckland Star 1917 is suspect unless it was referring to some sort of extended family relationship.
I suppose it is even possible that Mary Ann may have married in England, given birth to the two boys there, before emigrating to USA and then  to New Zealand soon after. If the two different birthplaces (New York, then Chicago only a year apart) given by each of the boys are true, then it would indicate some significant movement in a relatively short time within the USA.
Ho! Just seen your latest post. That looks like a go; at least partly.

Offline Woody-Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 11:53 BST (UK) »
Is this your information?

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GENANZ/1997-10/0876816231

Pountney, Mary Ann/Marjie Anne/Maize/Polly born Eng.Warickshire. 1876May17-
3 Church Rd. Lodge rd.Birmingham,War,England
Parents:William Pountney 1828 gun maker Ann Parry 1830
Spouses:William Wilford/Henry Sperry 1.m.Henry Baylie Cullerne
Children: 1.m.Fabian,Reginal,2.m.
2.m. Harry (Bart)/Henry Owen, Leslie Carroll 1902

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GENANZ/1997-10/0878113860

Cullerne, Henry Baylieborn Eng.Kent.52 Milton Rd.Milton 1856Sep08
Parents: Baylie Henry Cullerne Mary Ann Cartwright
Deptd.Tilbury Engalnd on`Ormuz' for Sydney 12 Feb l892
spouse: Mary Ann PountneyMairze/Polly/Mary Ann Sperry (nee Pountney)
Children: Harry (Bart)/Henry Owen, Leslie Carol CullerneAdd.in
NZ.Abbotsford St.Newmarket,Auckland
Died:1937July10 Auckland NZ
1937July10 Auckland NZ

((If She was Mary Wilford before becoming Mary Sperry, then this would help people find the Sperry marriage #important clue))

Sure will be whiteout7. What does"  and Children: 1.m.Fabian,Reginal,2.m.
2.m. Harry (Bart)/Henry Owen, Leslie Carroll 1902-- all mean exactly?
Were Fabian and Reggie from the same father?  and was this father Wilford or Sperry? Am I correct in assuming Mary Ann had three more boys to Cullerne during the 2m "second marriage?? or was this a third marriage or relationship?

The plot thickens  ::)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 12:15 BST (UK) »
Bit of a long shot, but if the US information doesn't pan out it may be worth following up this UK birth re the elder son:

Francis Matteson Sperry birth reg Mar qtr 1893 in West Bromwich, Staffs (from www.freebmd.org.uk)

The timing would be consistent with his stated birthdate of 22 January 1893 (from Online Cenotaph record).
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 13:20 BST (UK) »
There are links to Chicago birth indexes here - http://www.genealogybranches.com/chicago-genealogy.html  I don't see any sign of your Reginald on them, though.