Author Topic: Samuel Gilmore, New Orleans  (Read 7385 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Samuel Gilmore, New Orleans
« on: Wednesday 22 April 15 16:55 BST (UK) »
Would appreciate any help finding more information. The person I'm researching-

Samuel Gilmore
   born 22 Aug.1825 Boveedy, Co.Derry, Ireland (may have had middle name of Louis)- parents John Gilmore & Elizabeth Neilly (lots online for the family but much of it inaccurate)
   ?16 July 1850, “Standard” Belfast to New York: Samuel Gilmore, 24.
   Naturalization card: Samuel Gilmore, New Orleans, country of birth or allegiance- Great Britain, 26 May 1851, witnesses: George Hillman, Thomas Gilmore.
   m.1 (25 Sept.1854 Powhatan, Virginia) Louisa Murray Finney (c1834-9 Nov.1858 New Orleans)- possibly 1 child. (Virginia Historical Society have pictures of Samuel & Louise)
   1870 directory- New Orleans, La.: Gilmore Samuel, manager, int. rev. tobacco bonded warehouse, No.1 r 136 Constance.
   1870 Census- New Orleans, Ward 1, Orleans, La.: Samuel Gilmore, 44, clerk, Ireland. In household of Harriet Blois, lodginghouse keeper. Note: Harriet Blois living at 136 Constance in 1869 New Orleans directory which ties in with 1870 & 1871 directory entries for Samuel Gilmore.
   1871 directory- New Orleans, La.: Gilmore Samuel, supt. B.F. Flanders Warehouse, r 136 Constance.

The last definite traces of Samuel Gilmore are the 1870 census and 1871 N.O. directory entry. There are conflicting family stories that Samuel was studying to be a minister before he left Ireland [possible] but became a lawyer [not true], married a French (Creole?) woman, was a French interpreter, moved ‘west’ after family disapproval of his 2nd marriage. Samuel’s sister Mary and brothers Thomas & Alexander were also in New Orleans but I don’t need information on them (or Joinville Bercegeay).

Now for the details I am trying to confirm or rule out.
A Samuel Gilmore age 44 (born c1827) m.(21 May 1871 New Orleans) Mary Ann Doyle (born c1852)
An Edward Gilmore born May 1873 according to 1900 Census (see below)
A Samuel Gilmore died 31 Aug.1873 New Orleans
A Mary Ann Gilmore m.(5 Sept.1878 New Orleans) Joinville Bercegeay (Aug.1844-10 July 1900)
Can’t find Mary Bercegeay or son Edward in 1880 census
1900 Census J. Bercegey, wife Mary Bercegeay (born July 1853 N.Y.) and stepson E.G. Gilmore (born May 1873 La.- father born Ireland, married, tinsmith) at 1307 St. Charles Ave., New Orleans
1901 directory- New Orleans, La.: Bercegeay Mary, wid. Joinville r 1713 St Charles
1901 directory- New Orleans, La.: Gilmore Edward, tinsmith, r 1924 Melpomene
An Edward J. Gilmore, age 29, died 8 Sept.1903 New Orleans

Time-wise the above all fits and fits with the story of Samuel marrying again but needs proof. Any ideas?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Gilmore, New Orleans
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 17:19 BST (UK) »
The Samuel who died 1873 is on the obituary index here - http://neworleanspubliclibrary.org/obits/obits.htm

I can see a portion of the 1903 obit for Edward on Genealogy Bank.  I can see a mention of Mrs. J. Bercegeay, but I can't tell if a father was mentioned. 

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 19:40 BST (UK) »
The 1880 census seems to confirm (ties together)  a lot of the details you posted.

The spelling of the  last name was transcribed wrong. Edward is listed with last of Bercegeay. Also living in the household appears to be Mary Ann's mother Margaret Doyle and sister Emma Doyle.

1880 Census: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MS5X-PXL

Link to actual census  image (line 25) :  https://archive.org/stream/10thcensus0459unit#page/n137/mode/1up 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 21:21 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to you both for finding this information so quickly. All does seem to confirm that a Samuel Gilmore married Mary Ann Doyle, etc. Would be nice to get an obituary for Samuel that mentions brother Thomas (a well-known New Orleans lawyer) to be sure Samuel is the one I'm looking for but everything else makes sense even if all the family stories aren't quite right  :)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 April 15 09:14 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this is of any help, but a Mrs. Mary Ann Gilmore is mentioned in a September 12, 1873 New Orleans Republican newspaper.  Mrs. Gilmore petitioned a court for letters of administration regarding the estate of "the late Samuel Gilmore".
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01f7a/

After a very brief search I didn't see the passing of Edward in 1903 mentioned.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 April 15 09:40 BST (UK) »
Again, I don't know if this is helpful, but a snippet from a newspaper site
The Times-Picayune, New Orleans.  7 September 1873.
It mentions a Mr. Samuel Gilmore and states that he was a native of "County Perry" in Ireland.  31 August 1873 at 10:00 (when he died?).  He was a resident of New Orleans for the past 20 years.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 April 15 09:48 BST (UK) »
A subscription newspaper site has The Times-Picayune, New Orleans, 1 September 1873
The text is jumbled but it appears that it basically says Patrick?? Gilmore??? (words are jumbled), was a native of Ireland - County Derry.  He had been a resident of New Orleans for 20 years.  Friends and acquaintances of Mr. Gilmore? are invited to attend his funeral at 10:00.  His residence was 272 Baronne Street.  Also invited to attend were acquaintances and friends of Thomas Gilmore and L. Doyle.

Apologies if this is not for Samuel Gilmore.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 April 15 11:19 BST (UK) »
Yes, yes, yes, Lisa that's 'my' Samuel Gilmore and the notice for his widow seems to confirm a story passed down through brother Thomas' family.  ;D

"His family disapproved of the second marriage and he moved west and was never heard from again.”
I think Samuel's 2nd wife, Mary Ann Doyle, was Catholic but that can't be the reason for being cut off by family (i.e. brother Thomas) since Thomas himself had married a Catholic girl in 1845! I suspect the 'problem' with Samuel's wife might have been that she was not as educated or from the same social class as the Gilmores. Thomas' grand-daughter, very much into the social and political life of New Orleans as well as selectively interested in the family history could easily have neglected to mention much about Samuel's life in New Orleans after the death of his first wife Louise.

Following on from your first find in the New Orleans Republican I've been doing some more searching and found
1) charter for Hibernian Bank of New Orleans (brother Thomas one of the founders) with Samuel having 5 shares (July 1870)
2) an auction notice for his 388 Constance St. house (he was living at No. 136 in 1870/71)- (June 1874)
3) final notice to settle his estate (July 1874)

... and I still haven't started looking there for the rest of the New Orleans connection!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 April 15 11:27 BST (UK) »
I'm pleased that the information was helpful.

One other little bit:
1875 New Orleans Directory
"Gilmore Mary D. wid. Samuel r. 272 Baronne"

If you haven't already done so (it's late in California and my mind isn't comprehending everything)  ;) perhaps you could research Mary Ann's background to see if there could be an additional reason why his family disapproved.  What a shame, eh?   :-\