Author Topic: Need help on some Dublin lanes and alleys  (Read 5765 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Need help on some Dublin lanes and alleys
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 April 15 13:36 BST (UK) »
Using the same map
Brides Road is called Brides Alley.

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 April 15 16:21 BST (UK) »
Well spotted Sinann. Elbow Lane is about where I thought it had to be from the directory description. It's interesting that Walls Lane doesn't show up on that map. Carmans Hall extends all the way to Francis Street as it does currently instead of Walls Lane forming the connection between the eastern end of  Carmans Hall and the western side of Francis Street.
Thanks too for confirming Bride Road was Brides Alley.
I think I may have to give up on Fotrell's Square though I will explore the maps on Shane Wilson's website first.
Thanks again to all.
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline fergalo

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 06:11 GMT (UK) »
As to Fottrell's Square, you can enjoy reading about the unhealthiness of the area, and the filthy habits, intemperance and debased morals of its inhabitants here:

http://www.tara.tcd.ie/bitstream/handle/2262/8520/jssisiVolVIIIPartLXII_508522.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

"Area No. 1 Coombe, Improvement Scheme." It included all the houses and yards on south side of Cole Alley, from Nos. 19 to 32 inclusive; McDonald's Cottages, Fottrell's Square, White's Cottages, Elbow Lane Great, Elbow Lane Little, Mooney's Court, Wade's Court, Coombe Upper, from 26 to 41 in- clusive ; the entire east side of Pimlico from Cole Alley to Coombe
Upper, and 36 and 37 Meath Street.
Birth records for two siblings of one of my O'Toole ancestors say 35 Meath in one place and 10 Fottrell's Square in another. 
It's as yet undecided if the filthy habits, intemperance and debased morals are hereditary.