Author Topic: Patrick and Nicholas DIMOND KIA 1917/18  (Read 7637 times)

Offline kiwielaine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great grandfather James Beazley
    • View Profile
Patrick and Nicholas DIMOND KIA 1917/18
« on: Thursday 23 April 15 04:52 BST (UK) »
Hi there
A newspaper article from 4 January 1918 "Mr PH Dimond (Patrick Henry, my great grandfather) of Hastings (New Zealand) has received news that his nephews Sergt Patrick Dimond and Nicholas Dimond have been killed in action on the Western Front".

Are there any military records online I can view of Patrick and Nicholas Dimond, presumably from Derry, Northern Ireland (where Patrick Henry Dimond was born)? As I can't find any records of any of Patrick Henry's brothers immigrating to New Zealand, nor can I find any NZ Military records for Nicholas and Patrick. 

Any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated. 

Researching the following:
BRAY - Cornwall & Gloucestershire; GEAR - Aldershot, Somerset; CRIBBS - Lanarkshire, Berwickshire; RITCHIE & DUTHIE - Banffshire: BADLAND - Worcestershire; BEAZLEY - Surrey; RICHARDS & MASSEY - Staffordshire; BARROW - Kent; DIMOND & McSWIGGAN - Derry

I am here today because my ancestors dared to take a risk and travel half way round the world to start a new life, two as 15 year old boys without their families

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick and Nicholas DIMOND KIA 1917/18
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 April 15 05:15 BST (UK) »
Just out of curiosity has the name been put on the commonwealth war graves site as Diamond?
It is just when I search for Patrick & Nicholas Dimond there is no result?

Patrick Diamond is there but no Nicholas Diamond? CWWG also the medal cards return no result for Nicholas Diamond/Dimond at the British Arichives.

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline kiwielaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 April 15 05:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Whiteout
From CWGC
 DIAMOND, PATRICK

Rifleman
Service No:
Date of Death:
    30/06/1916
Regiment/Service:
    Royal Irish Rifles

1st Bn.
Panel Reference:
    Pier and Face 15 A and 15 B.
Memorial:
    THIEPVAL MEMORIAL
Additional Information:
    Son of Mrs. Mary Diamond, of Gortmacrane, Kilrea, Co. Londonderry.

Although the area fits (Londonderry) the date of death doesn't fit, the newspaper article dated 4th January 1918, is 18 months after his death (30/6/1916)

The link to Patrick Diamond's (gr grandfather) file is not his.   Although his son Harry Dimond, KIA 01/07/1917 is in NZ archives online military files
http://ndhadeliver.natlib.govt.nz/delivery/DeliveryManagerServlet?dps_pid=IE15458975

BRAY - Cornwall & Gloucestershire; GEAR - Aldershot, Somerset; CRIBBS - Lanarkshire, Berwickshire; RITCHIE & DUTHIE - Banffshire: BADLAND - Worcestershire; BEAZLEY - Surrey; RICHARDS & MASSEY - Staffordshire; BARROW - Kent; DIMOND & McSWIGGAN - Derry

I am here today because my ancestors dared to take a risk and travel half way round the world to start a new life, two as 15 year old boys without their families

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 April 15 07:59 BST (UK) »
Interesting I would expect Nicholas Dimond and Patrick Dimond to be on commonwealth war graves or in the British Archives. It is really strange Nicholas Dimond/Diamond has all negative returns on both sites and yet he is reported as deceased.

Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)

Offline kiwielaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 April 15 08:13 BST (UK) »
One other possibility is that side of the family emigrated also?  So possibly need to look further afield. Australia maybe?

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 April 15 08:24 BST (UK) »
I checked https://honouringanzacs.net.au/ and http://www.naa.gov.au/ for them. No luck.

Also in the 1911 free Irish census all I could find was a Patrick Joseph Dimond and his brother Paul Nicholas Dimond. (I wonder if this is them they would have been 23 and 17 in 1918.

Could they have been Canadians (CEF)?
http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/first-world-war-1914-1918-cef/Pages/search.aspx
Nope
There was a Nick Dimond born in Belgium

Ireland's Memorial Records, In Flanders fields
http://imr.inflandersfields.be/search.html
Not here either!

Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)

Offline kiwielaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 April 15 08:40 BST (UK) »
That's a possibility.  In the 1911 census did they reside anywhere near Magherafelt, Derrygarve where my great grandfather Patrick Henry Dimond married before immigrating?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 April 15 08:44 BST (UK) »
Patrick Diamond, Gortmacrane, son of John & Alice Diamond, "was a regular soldier serving with the 1st Battalion Royal Irish Rifles and had enlisted in Belfast. The 1st Battalion was in Aden when war was declared and embarked for the U.K. on 27th September arriving at Liverpool on 22nd October 1914. He was given leave at this time and arrived home in Kilrea for a full week. He had done about sixteen years in the army and served throughout the South African Campaign. ...wounded on rhe 25th of September 1915. He was then in hospital another time before being sent home to recuperate in Kilrea. ...On the 30th of June five men were killed, Patrick being one of them and this was the result of shellfire. Probably all five were killed by the same shell and this would explain why there is no known grave. He is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing of the Somme. ...It is believed that by the time of Patrick's death at the Somme his father was already dead. His mother, by then an elderly lady, died on 7th January 1920."

Since Patrick was at first listed as missing/presumed dead it may have been some time before the family were notified that he was dead and it might have then taken time for word to reach his uncle in New Zealand.

Patrick Diamond is listed on the Kilrea War Memorial but there are no other Diamonds listed.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 April 15 08:51 BST (UK) »
Here's widowed mother Alice Diamond in 1911 living in Claragh townland (near Kilrea) with a few of her children:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Kilrea/Claragh/591886

Husband John alive in 1901-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Kilrea/Claragh/1520853

Do you want more information on this branch of your family?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!