Author Topic: Whitehead; missing 6-generation bridges  (Read 8138 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Whitehead; missing 6-generation bridges
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 April 15 18:51 BST (UK) »
I would try to find and see the PR records sources of John Whitehead  and Arthure Whitehead of Bapt, Marr, and burials and get full confirmation first & foremost.

John Whitehead burial 1635 Jamaica, Queens, New York, USA sounds iffy since the place was of dutch settlement-  It was in 1655 that the first settlers paid the Native Americans with two guns, a coat, and some powder and lead, for the land lying between the old trail and "Beaver Pond" (later Baisley Pond). Dutch Director-General Peter Stuyvesant dubbed the area Rustdorp (“rest-town”) in granting the 1656 land patent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamaica,_Queens

(Sounds LDS going back 6 generation fit square peg in round hole with sledgehammer submission stuff to me.  ;D ;D ;D)

Heed BumbleB's post
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline gliesian66

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 April 15 19:14 BST (UK) »
(Sounds LDS going back 6 generation fit square peg in round hole with sledgehammer submission stuff to me.  ;D ;D ;D)

LOL... I'm just seeding / solidifying my question base here... I've already spent 100's of hours on this.

From 30,000 feet... here is the pickle... my DNA matches appear to hook into the Whitehead threads, just before they went to America... though my descent falls through a Great Britain descent... my direct bloodline never came to America before my great grandparents. 

So while many AncestryDNA (U.S. based) people hook into me relative to the 17th century Whitehead immigrants... very few England born Whitehead do the same latching as AncestryDNA wasn't available to England until January of this Year.

Simply put, I don't think there are enough English samples done to do DNA analysis for answers... as the paper trail becomes much more difficult to follow prior to the registration act of the 1800s.

Any advice would be appreciated in determining these bridges.

And yes, it was a true leap of faith opening up this thread.  Let's see what happens.

-- Robert

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 April 15 19:32 BST (UK) »
When fuel runs out, one is no longer at 30,000 feet but using ladder one can stay up a very long time being more down to earth like!  :)

Most pre 1837 info &  PR boxed marriages without parents names, even worse single line marriages  pre 1754 and limited single line pre 1812 baptisms & burials, Wills, Deeds, Poor law, gravestone epitaphs (If lucky enough to have any), also other records are difficult but are needed before one tries confirming aforesaid with early DNA

Do the ground work first of original records of the time, a rung at a time for good foundations of your tree  !! like most family tree researchers do is the best advise -there are no short cuts.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 April 15 17:07 BST (UK) »
When you think of the sheer number of ancestors we accumulate at each generation back, then DNA near-matches are not that amazing. I agree that the only way you may possibly bridge those generations and prove the links to the two early names will be if you can manage to chase Christopher Whitehead's ancestors, far back.
I think Wharfedale records are unlikely to be complete, that far back.
-There are a couple of exotic death places that I boggled at, that turned out to be people like mariners or soldiers, pegging out far from home, could John Whitehead fall into that category?
It's tempting, especially if you have a less common name, to feel that all with that name are related, if only you can prove the link, but a name like "Whitehead" - which probably comes from fair-haired ancestors - may not be so. Good luck, though, even if I'd put it into the category "If I were you, I wouldn't start from here".
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline gliesian66

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 22 May 15 18:25 BST (UK) »
Here is my public pedigree tree:
http://gliesians.com/genealogy-tree.faces

-- Robert

Offline gliesian66

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 13:55 BST (UK) »
I've made a lot of progress...

Whitehead Connections from Yorkshire
http://robertjliguori.blogspot.com/2016/07/english-connections.html

But I'm still trying to connect William Whitehead born 1791 or John Whitehead born 1801 to Joseph Joseph Whitehead born 1693 and Elizabeth Newsome born 1690.  Note that I validated the hooks from DNA testing.

Here is my tree: http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/50192895/family/

Any help is appreciated.

Robert