Author Topic: Mary Daley nee Douthitt  (Read 3059 times)

Offline mamor

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Daley nee Douthitt
« on: Thursday 23 April 15 16:12 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on my 3x Gt Grandmother.  This is what I know:-

Mary Dalley married John McDonald 14 August 1859 at All Saints Church, Paddington.  Mary was widowed, her father was John Douthitt, a Tailor and she lived at 5 Church Place.

In 1868 when her daughter Johanna McDonald was born, Mary's name was given as Mary MacDonald, late Daly, formerly Douthitt.

In 1871, Mary, her husband John McDonald and family lived at 12 Barrett's Court, Marylebone.  Her year of birth would be 1826 and place of birth is Dublin.

Mary's husband John McDonald had a daughter from his first marriage born in Limerick.  He was a Mason born in Marylebone.

I have been unable to trace Mary and John after 1871 census and would really like to find Mary's baptism record, or any other record of her prior to her marriage in 1859 if anyone is able to help at all.

Many thanks :-)
FREEMANTLE - Hampshire  WILLIAMS - Gypsy/Romany family  GILES - Greenham  GILMORE - London  AMOR - Pewsey/Wilcot  DULIEU - London  BISHOP - Enborne  WILLIAMS - Kent BROWN - Kent/Peckham TIDMARSH

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Daley nee Douthitt
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 April 15 21:33 BST (UK) »
The name seems more common in the northern counties of Ireland perhaps John's origins are there.
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/results?count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3Adouthitt~&collection_id=1408347

Offline mamor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 April 15 08:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you - John was born in London, but he must have travelled to Ireland at some point because his daughter was born there (unless that's a mistake on the census). 

It's Mary who I would really like to trace as I have had my mt-DNA results back and would like to trace my maternal line.  :)
FREEMANTLE - Hampshire  WILLIAMS - Gypsy/Romany family  GILES - Greenham  GILMORE - London  AMOR - Pewsey/Wilcot  DULIEU - London  BISHOP - Enborne  WILLIAMS - Kent BROWN - Kent/Peckham TIDMARSH

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 April 15 13:05 BST (UK) »
This looks like Mary in the 1891 census Gt Barlow st parish rectory Marylebone living with her daughter Johanna and her husband
William Collins age 24 b Marylebone printers labourer
Johanna Collins age 23 ............... ironer
John 4,Jane 3, Mary A 1 all born Marylebone
Mary McDonald b 1825 Limerick age 66 mother in law washerwoman ...widow

Daughter Johanna married William Collins 1886 St Thomas Marylebone

Offline mamor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 April 15 13:14 BST (UK) »
Yes that's her, looks like she wasn't sure if she was born in Dublin or Limerick.  Can't find her on the 1881 census though or before her marriage to John McDonald.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 April 15 13:18 BST (UK) »
This might be  Mary McDonald b 1828 died Jan--Mar 1898 Marylebone age 70

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 April 15 14:24 BST (UK) »
Yes not seeing them I noticed on the 1871 census daughter Mary A Douhitt McDonald born Limerick 1854 ..so looks like you wont get any records in England before her marriage to John McDonald in 1859

Offline mamor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 April 15 14:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rosie,

At first I assumed that was Mary's daughter but then I found out that John also had a daughter called Mary Ann born the same year and I couldn't quite make out the word between Mary A and McDonald on the 1871 census (although my first thought was that it said Douthitt.) Think I will have to find some Irish records somewhere :-)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 April 15 14:54 BST (UK) »
Good luck with that then... ??? I always find it hard work trying to get any information in Ireland