Author Topic: REBECCA FAYERS/FAIERS nee DEATH Baptised BRENT ELEIGH  (Read 5691 times)

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: REBECCA FAYERS/FAIERS nee DEATH Baptised BRENT ELEIGH
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 November 15 03:59 GMT (UK) »
It seems Sarah Coyle and a Jane Coyle (sister, or widowed mother and daughter?) sailed on the "Victory" from London 14 Jun 1863 and arrived Lyttelton 17 Oct 1863. You probably have the above information (or your friend has) but just in case ..

francoso

Offline peterd500

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 November 15 11:33 GMT (UK) »

Yes we have that information.   The VICTORY carried virtually all Lancashire passengers, who were emigrating as a result of depression in the cotton industry.  The COYLE family was resident in the Manchester area with Sarah's father being born in Ireland (1861 census).

07 Apr 1861 Census of England
@ 34 Mansell St, Chorlton Upon Medlock, St Luke, Manchester, Lancashire
John COYLE Head Marr 55 C Dyer b. Ireland
Mary COYLE Dau Unm 28 [20?] Cotton Weaver b. Manchester, Lancashire
Nicholas COYLE Son Unm 26 Packer b. Manchester, Lancashire
Sarah COYLE Dau Unm 23 Cotton Weaver b. Manchester, Lancashire
Ann COYLE Dau Unm 15 Cotton Weaver b. Manchester, Lancashire
Jane COYLE Dau Unm 13 Cotton Weaver b. Manchester, Lancashire

It seems that Henry and Sarah married 2 Nov 1863 extremely soon after Sarah's arrival at Timaru, New Zealand with her sister Jane on the ship VICTORY on 13 Oct 1863.  That's pretty fast work!  I have been unable to discover what happened to Jane subsequently.

The passenger list of Henry's ship STRATHALLEN cryptically indicates in the place of origin column that he was from Raydon England.

http://christchurchcitylibraries.com/Heritage/Digitised/Emigration/EmbarkationLists/Strathallan-1858/
STRATHALLAN sailed 12 Oct 1858, arrived 21 Jan 1859 Lyttelton
Single men
Hy BUTCHER 21 Rayd En Laborer

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=LT18630929.2.4&srpos=18&e=--1863---1863--100--1-byDA-on--0coyle-ARTICLE-
Lyttelton Times, Volume XX, Issue 1136, 29 September 1863, Page 3
SHIPPING INTELLIGENCE.
LYTTELTON
LANCASHIRE IMMIGRANTS PER VICTORY.....

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nzlscant/victory.htm?cj=1&netid=cj&o_xid=0001610462&o_lid=0001610462&o_sch=Affiliate+External
Lancashire Immigrants per "Victory"
Arrived Timaru Oct 13, 1863
.....COYLE, Sarah and Jane.....

MacDonald Index, Canterbury Museum
http://collection.canterburymuseum.com/search.do?view=detail&page=1&id=112765&db=object
B.1022 Omnibus
Henry BUTCHER, farmer, marr 2.11.63 Sarah COIL at St Mary's, Timaru, Rev. Geo FOSTER.

https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/
NZ Births
1864/14763, BUTCHER John Samuel, Sarah, Henry
1865/15610, BUTCHER William Henry, Sarah, Henry
1867/24891, BUTCHER James Walter, Sarah, Henry
1869/30799, BUTCHER George Francis, Sarah, Henry
1868/28782, BUTCHER Sarah Ann, Sarah, Henry
1870/112,   BUTCHER Thomas Frederick, Sarah, Henry
1872/33058, BUTCHER Mary Jane, Sarah, Henry
1873/18268, BUTCHER Eliza Ellen, Sarah, Henry
1874/47002, BUTCHER Susan Catharine, Sarah, Henry
1876/9418,  BUTCHER Amelia Alice, Sarah, Henry
1877/8706,  BUTCHER Charles Edward, Sarah, Henry

Sarah died early leaving a large family and Henry married again to Eliza Drusilla DAWSON (1829-1912) on 31 Dec 1881, no issue to Eliza & Henry.  Henry died 13 Jan 1926.  Sarah, Henry and Eliza are buried at Waimate Cemetery.

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=THD18810826.2.9&srpos=5&e=-------100--1-byDA-on--0%22henry+butcher%22+waimate-ARTICLE-
Timaru Herald, Volume XXXV, Issue 2161, 26 August 1881, Page 2
Sudden Death at Waimate.— Mrs Henry BUTCHER of Waimate died very suddenly on Wednesday. She appeared in her usual state of health until about seven o'clock in the evening, when she staggered and fell against the door. Mr BUTCHER, who was by, placed her on a sofa. A doctor was in immediate attendance, but Mrs BUTCHER never afterwards spoke or appeared conscious, and died in less than an hour from the time she was seen to fall. She leaves a family of eleven children, several of them very young.

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=EP19260201.2.71&srpos=40&e=-------100--1-byDA-on--0%22henry+butcher%22+waimate-ARTICLE-
Evening Post, Volume CXI, Issue 26, 1 February 1926, Page 6
One of the oldest pioneers in the Waimate district, Mr. Henry BUTCHER, passed away on Wednesday at the advanced age of 90. Mr. Butcher arrived in New Zealand in the Strathallan on 16th January, 1859, and has been a resident in Waimate from that time, 66 years. He was a member of the Manchester Unity, I.O.O. F., for 33 years. The late Mr. BUTCHER was well known in the district, and his death removes one of the connecting links with the very early settlement of South Canterbury. He leaves two sons, Mr. S. BUTCHER, secretary Grocers' Union, Wellington, Mr. W. S. BUTCHER, Queensland, and four daughters, Mesdames F. MITCHELL (Wanganui), KYLEE (Wellington), BUCKINGHAM (Timaru), and Miss BUTCHER (Waimate).

Peter

Offline tickle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 May 20 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Francoso and Kevin

Have either of you guys had your DNA tested? I'm also on the same lines of  descent but haven't managed to find anyone to confirm with a DNA match. If you're interested please get in touch.

Thanks

Tickle
Alder - Berks
Benning/Bening - Middx, & Cambs
Brook - Suffolk/Cambs
Burton - Herts
Petley - Suffolk
Death - Suffolk
Ellington - Suffolk/Cambs
Elsworth - New York
Fayers/Faiers/Faires - Suffolk
Grasemann - Germany & London
Howels - Hants
Mitchell - Sussex, Surrey
Oldham - Lancs
Priest - Hants
Raines - Co Cork, Ireland
Rysdyck/Rysdyke - Netherlands, & New York
Ryder - Cheshire/Lancs
Sanders - Hants
Urmson - Cheshire
Willis - Suffolk
Woodham - Cambs, Beds, Essex

Offline scotty151

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 May 20 16:52 BST (UK) »
Hi , Yes I had my DNA done by Ancestry and it is linked to my tree. . However, I have to admit it is all still a bit of a mystery to me. I found one second cousin, but cannot find a link to many 4th-6th cousins!

Regards,
Kevin
NBL & DUR - SCOTT, Newcastle (Byker),Ancroft,Eglingham. NEWTON, Newcastle, Gateshead.
SIMM, REED, DAWSON, HALL, KENNEDY, BARKESS, WILSON, ARKLE, SHEPHERD, THOMAS.
Ross (Scotland) - BISSET, McDONALD, FERGUSON, FLETCHER
Suffolk - MILLER (Eyke, Bromeswell), Lloyd (Burstall), GANT (Elmsett), BARBER (Eyke), LEEKS (Elmsett), DANIELS, HOLDER, DURRANT, MEADOWS, PERCY, ATTERTON, LING, SKINNER, OXX, MALLOWS, CLARKE, WOOLNOUGH, POTTER, COLEMAN
Bucks - BLAND (Stoke Goldington), FRIDAY, DARBY

Offline tickle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 May 20 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevin

That's probably because Ancestry only give results down to 6cM and many distant cousins will be 3-5cM. If you up load your Ancestry raw DNA to Gedmatch it allows you to do comparisons down to 3cM and chromosome by chromosome which may help you find distant cousins, and maybe even me!

Good luck

John
Alder - Berks
Brook - Suffolk/Cambs
Burton - Herts
Petley - Suffolk
Death - Suffolk
Elsworth - New York
Howels - Hants
Oldham - Lancs
Priest - Hants
Ryder - Cheshire/Lancs
Sanders - Hants
Urmson - Cheshire
Willis - Suffolk

Offline scotty151

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 31 May 20 19:15 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

I have uploaded my raw Ancestry DNA to Gedmatch. It looks like it usually takes a couple of days to activate. I hope it may help you as I'm struggling to understand the complexity of the website.
NBL & DUR - SCOTT, Newcastle (Byker),Ancroft,Eglingham. NEWTON, Newcastle, Gateshead.
SIMM, REED, DAWSON, HALL, KENNEDY, BARKESS, WILSON, ARKLE, SHEPHERD, THOMAS.
Ross (Scotland) - BISSET, McDONALD, FERGUSON, FLETCHER
Suffolk - MILLER (Eyke, Bromeswell), Lloyd (Burstall), GANT (Elmsett), BARBER (Eyke), LEEKS (Elmsett), DANIELS, HOLDER, DURRANT, MEADOWS, PERCY, ATTERTON, LING, SKINNER, OXX, MALLOWS, CLARKE, WOOLNOUGH, POTTER, COLEMAN
Bucks - BLAND (Stoke Goldington), FRIDAY, DARBY

Offline tickle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 August 20 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi guys

I've just caught up with this thread again. Re: Brent Eleigh Estate records etc.

Brent Eleigh Hall Estate Records
1508-1925
Held by    Suffolk Record Office, Bury St Edmunds Branch

[no title]  1754/1/177  1725 October 1 & 2
2 files
Contents:
(i) Sir Jermyn D'Ewes of Lavenham, bart.,
To(ii) Robert Mann of Brent Eleigh, labourer.
Lease and Release of messuage with yard or garden adjoining (Simon Eley, woolcomber, occupier), abutting on Lavenham to Monks Eleigh highway (called Brent Eleigh Street) to N., and on tenement and yard of Robert Coleman, gent., (Edward Disney and John Grice, occupiers) to E.; and 3r. arable adjoining (Thomas Tiffin, yeoman, occupier; part whereof formerly an orchard) abutting on land of Robert Coleman (Elizabeth Dansey, occupier) to E. and W., and on lands of Robert Coleman (George Faiers, occupier) to S. and on yard or garden of said tenement and on Brent Eleigh Street to N.
Consideration: £42.

Lease, for 14 years (from 29 September last) at annual rent of £72, of Marles Farm in Brent Eleigh and appurtenances, and Kemps Wood in Brent Eleigh, Milden and Little Waldingfield (late occupier George Russell, now said George Fayers[sic]). Husbandry clauses.  1754/1/191  1738 October 10
1 file
Contents:
(i) Edward Colman of Brent Eleigh, Esq.,
To(ii) George Frayers of Brent Eleigh, yeoman.

Lease  1754/1/192  1756 February 12
1 file
Contents:
(i) Mary Goate.... age of 21 [as in 5 December 1754 lease],
To(ii) Rebecca Fayers of Brent Eleigh, widow, and Samuel Fayers, her son, of Brent Eleigh, yeoman.
For 5 years from 10 October last, of Marles Farm, Brent Eleigh and appurtenances, and Kemp's Wood, in Brent Eleigh, Milden and Little Waldingfield (late occupier George Fayers, now (ii)), and cottage and appurtenances in Brent Eleigh (Samuel Butcher, occupier) - reserving timber from Marles Farm.... to (i).
Rent for Marles Farm and Kemps Wood £72 and for cottage £1. 19s. for 1st year term; and for Marles Farm £66., wood £16., cottage £1. 19s. p.a. for rest of term.

Lease, for 14 years (from 29 September last) at annual rent of £26, of messuage of (i) in Brent Eleigh Street near Lower Mill and appurtenances (late occupier, George Fayers, now (ii)). Husbandry clauses.  1754/1/250  1738 October 10
1 file
Contents:
(i) Edward Colman, of Brent Eleigh, Esq., to (ii) Thomas Barrell of Brent Eleigh, yeoman.

Mortgage by Robert Colman  1754/1/188  1727 February 1
1 file
Contents:
(i) Robert Colman of Furnivalls Inn, London, gent., and Edward Colman of London, grocer, his brother,
(ii) Alice Cattaway of Ingatestone, Essex, single-woman, and Margaret Cattaway of Ingatestone, singlewoman,
(iii) George Bramston of the Middle Temple, London, Esq.
Regarding nomination of (ii), to (iii) of Wells Hall Farm and lands (Samuel Faires, occupier) in Milden and Brent Eleigh.
Voidable if (i) pay Alice Cattaway annuity of £10 for her life and Margaret Cattaway annuity of £20 for her life.
Consideration: £100 to (i) by Alice Cattaway, and £200 to (i) by Margaret Cattaway.

Lease, for 1 year at rent of 1d., of Davids tenement with yard, garden, orchard and appurtenances, Swingledon Green, Monks Eleigh, (John Green and --- Balls, occupiers).  1754/1/393  1761 February 23
1 file
Contents:
(i) Edward Bell of Brent Eleigh, yeoman, to (ii) Samuel Fairs of Brent Eleigh, yeoman.

Draft Lease, for 14 years from 10 October next, at annual rent of £75. 12s., of farm and lands (80a. in all) in Brent Eleigh ((ii) occupier), reserving timber. Husbandry clauses.  1754/1/254  1801 June 25
1 file
Contents:
(i) Edward Goate of Brent Eleigh, Esq., colonel of H.M. Regiment of East Suffolk Militia, to (ii) Robert Fayers of Brent Eleigh, farmer.

Draft of Lease of farm (c.110a.) in Brent Eleigh and 40a. of wood in Little Waldingfield, for 14 years from 10 October [sic] at annual rent of £106, and land tax of £11. 17s.p.a. Husbandry clauses.  1754/1/256  1802 January 9
1 file
Contents:
(i) Edward Goate, to (ii) William Fayers.

Agreement of John Ranby of Bury St. Edmunds, Esq., on part of his wife Mary, whereby he allows William Fayres of Brent Eleigh, yeoman, to plough up ¾a. pasture in Four Acres being part of farm held of said Mary by lease from Edward Goate, decd., (brother of said Mary), and convert 8r. pasture adjoining his barn into a garden, without affecting said lease.  1754/4/19  1810 January 15
1 file
Contents:
Note of receipt of 16/- for stamp duties, by Jos. Humphry, collector, 19 January 1810.

Alder - Berks
Brook - Suffolk/Cambs
Burton - Herts
Petley - Suffolk
Death - Suffolk
Elsworth - New York
Howels - Hants
Oldham - Lancs
Priest - Hants
Ryder - Cheshire/Lancs
Sanders - Hants
Urmson - Cheshire
Willis - Suffolk

Offline tickle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 24 August 20 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hi again

I exceeded the number of characters!

To continue:

Will of Richard Death (father of Rebecca,)
Will of Richard Death of Ely Combust (Brent Eleigh)
IC/500/1/182/102 · 1728 · Suffolk Record Office Bury St Edmunds Branch
In the Name of God Amen I Richard Death of Brent Ely in the County of Suffolk being sound in mind and memory do constitute and make my last Will and Testament in Manner following Imprimis I give to my loving son Richard Death twenty shillings I give to my loving daughter Sarah the wife of Robert Ponder twenty pounds I give to my loving daughter Ann the wife of William Kidby twenty shillings and to my loving daughter Rebecca the wife of George Faires fifty pounds. I also give to my grandson Thomas Death the son of Thomas Death twenty pounds. The rest of my worldly goods chattels and money I give to my loving wife Sarah Death whom I make executrix of this my last will and Testament……Made 14 September 1720.
Rebecca married George Faires at Milden 1715, Sarah married Robert Ponder 1708 at Brent Eleigh, and Ann married William Kidby at Brent Eleigh 1713.

Hope this helps you

Tickle

Alder - Berks
Brook - Suffolk/Cambs
Burton - Herts
Petley - Suffolk
Death - Suffolk
Elsworth - New York
Howels - Hants
Oldham - Lancs
Priest - Hants
Ryder - Cheshire/Lancs
Sanders - Hants
Urmson - Cheshire
Willis - Suffolk

Offline tickle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 16 October 20 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Scotty151

Do you have a kit number for your DNA upload to Gedmatch? It would useful to do the comparison and see if we can connect. What is your Ancestry username? I can't see a connection on Ancestry.

Best

Tickle
Alder - Berks
Brook - Suffolk/Cambs
Burton - Herts
Petley - Suffolk
Death - Suffolk
Elsworth - New York