Author Topic: REBECCA FAYERS/FAIERS nee DEATH Baptised BRENT ELEIGH  (Read 5699 times)

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
REBECCA FAYERS/FAIERS nee DEATH Baptised BRENT ELEIGH
« on: Friday 24 April 15 23:16 BST (UK) »
Rebecca Death was baptised 22 Feb 1696/97 at Brent Eleigh. She married George Fayers/Faiers (baptised 10 Nov 1690 at Monks Eleigh) on 31 Dec 1715 at Milden. It seems all 10 of her children were baptised in Brent Eleigh (and seven of them appear to have been buried there -- I haven't found the burials of the remaining three). Husband George Fayers/Faiers was buried 26 Oct 1752 at Brent Eleigh.

Can anyone find any record of the burial of Rebecca Fayers/Faiers, please. It would seem that Brent Eleigh would be the most likely place but perhaps Milden or Monks Eleigh or even Little Waldingfield.

She was alive in 1754 as she extended a lease together with one of her sons, Samuel.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Regards
francoso

Offline scotty151

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: REBECCA FAYERS/FAIERS nee DEATH Baptised BRENT ELEIGH
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 June 15 19:36 BST (UK) »
I have also searched for this burial for many years as she was my 7 x great grandmother. As you say, you would expect to find her buried in Brent Eleigh, but I have checked the burial register there without success and the Suffolk Burial Index does not record her burial at all.

Her daughter Rebecca Fairs/Faires/Fayers was christened 8th Jan 1723 in Brent Eleigh and she was my 6 x great grandmother. Rebecca married Samuel Bourchier/Butcher in St. Mary's Church, Bury St. Edmunds on 19 Feb 1750. However, they too settled in Brent Eleigh and had at least six children christened at the parish church there. Frustratingly, the burials of Samuel and Rebecca Butcher are not recorded at Brent Eleigh either! Nor are they in the Suffolk Burial Index. Two of their children raised familes in Brent Eleigh while two other sons moved to Raydon.

Could they have become non-conformist?
Did they move out of the county?
Are some Brent Eleigh burials simply not recorded?

I have looked at this for a long time and not been able to come up with any answers!

Regards,
Kevin
NBL & DUR - SCOTT, Newcastle (Byker),Ancroft,Eglingham. NEWTON, Newcastle, Gateshead.
SIMM, REED, DAWSON, HALL, KENNEDY, BARKESS, WILSON, ARKLE, SHEPHERD, THOMAS.
Ross (Scotland) - BISSET, McDONALD, FERGUSON, FLETCHER
Suffolk - MILLER (Eyke, Bromeswell), Lloyd (Burstall), GANT (Elmsett), BARBER (Eyke), LEEKS (Elmsett), DANIELS, HOLDER, DURRANT, MEADOWS, PERCY, ATTERTON, LING, SKINNER, OXX, MALLOWS, CLARKE, WOOLNOUGH, POTTER, COLEMAN
Bucks - BLAND (Stoke Goldington), FRIDAY, DARBY

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 June 15 23:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Kevin, for your detailed response. It seems we may not be able to find these details but it does ask the question "why not".
Regards
francoso

Offline peterd500

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 November 15 01:19 GMT (UK) »
I have been carrying out research for my friend who is a beginner.  It seems that he descends from Samuel BUTCHER & Rebecca FAYER the parents of George BUTCHER & Mary OSBORN, whose son Samuel BUTCHER married Sarah THORNTON, parents of Henry BUTCHER who sailed to New Zealand on the ship STRATHALLEN in 1859, settling in South Canterbury where he became a prominent settler well known for being one of the earliest settlers in the district.  In New Zealand he married Sarah COIL / COYLE who was from Manchester, probably of an irish born father.  I am somewhat reliant on the family trees of others for the connections further back, but things seem ok as the detail is such that the people doing the research have probably been getting into it boots and all.

Henry & Sarah had 11 issue, the eldest being John Samuel BUTCHER who married Annie BLACKWELL who was from Oxfordshire.  They had 8 children including son Cecil BUTCHER who married Laura Muriel Sapphira WELSH whose name was something of a moveable feast in various records.  The latter couple are the grandparents of my friend.

I have already noted a reference to the lease under discussion, indexed at the National Archives website, as being held at the Suffolk Record Office.  Does anyone have text of the lease?

At the Suffolk Record Office, has anyone got stuck into such things as relevant manorial rolls, Tithe-Roll Apportionment,   Enclosure award, quarter sessions, tax assessments, wills, and so forth?

Here is the context of the lease as indexed by National Archives:

Context of this record:
 174 - Suffolk Record Office, Bury St Edmunds Branch
1754 - Brent Eleigh Hall Estate Records
DEEDS AND RELATED PAPERS
Various specific properties, Brent Eleigh (and Milden, Monks Eleigh, Little Waldingfield, etc.)
Marles Farm and cottage in Brent Eleigh, and Kemps Wood in Brent Eleigh, Milden and Little Waldingfield.
1754/1/192 - Lease

Obviously the people mentioned in this thread are of great interest to my friend.  I am happy to put anyone in touch with him who wants contact.

peter

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 November 15 01:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Perterd500. I have Samuel Butcher b. 29 Jan 1795 and c.  04 Feb 1795 at Raydon. I see from familysearch.org that a Samuel Butcher married a Sarah Thornton 29 Jul 1821 at Hadleigh. I also note that the SBI gives a Samuel Butcher d. 13 Sep 1811 aged 20 years.

I don't think the SBI ref is the same Samuel as b. 1795 but can you be sure that the Samuel Butcher who m. Sarah Thornton in 1821 in Hadleigh is the same Samuel Butcher b. Raydon 1795 ?

Regards
francoso

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 November 15 02:42 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, Peterd500, I forgot to add that I note that Henry Butcher was c. in Raydon 14 Apr 1837 with father Samuel and mother Sarah (presumably nee Thornton).

francoso

Offline peterd500

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 November 15 02:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Francosco

I don't know the answer re Samuel BUTCHER.  It wasn't my research and the tree I saw wasn't sourced.  I think can be sure that Henry who went to NZ was from Raydon as I think that at the NZ there is info mentioning Raydon but the links to places further back I cannot be sure of.

Does anyone know where the names BOUCHIEN / BOUCHIER / BOURCHIER come from, and why, if that was possibly the original name, it changed to BUTCHER?  Or is it really BUTCHER and BOUCHIER / BOUCHIEN is just a variant?

One theory was that it was to do with dutch people who helped drain the fens which started in the 1630s.  The idea has probably come about because the name sounds French/Belgian/dutch?

Henry Lord BOUCHIER received lands in Suffolk in the middle ages from Edward IV, so the name could come from him or a relation of his?

I've noticed that there is a Bourchier Close at Hadleigh.

peter

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 November 15 03:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter. Butcher in French is Bouchier. So it seems the name was Anglicised. I assume that Bouchien has been mistranscribed and was actually Bouchier.

I checked the marriages on NZ BMD and see Sarah Coil m. Henry Butcher in 1863. Presumably his birth place is mentioned on the marriage registration ?

Regards
francoso

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 November 15 03:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, Peter. From the NZ BMDs I see a Henry Butcher died 1926 aged 89 which give born 1837 + or - a year, so it matches with Henry Butcher born at Raydon in 1837.

francoso