Author Topic: [James] William DUNN - Barton 1881 and BROWN - Manchester.  (Read 2479 times)

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: [James] William DUNN - Barton 1881 and BROWN - Manchester.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 July 05 18:02 BST (UK) »
Balch?? Have you got connections with the July Challenge then???  ;D

No Idea what the "cyl..." is? Its not easily readable so could be something else  :-\

Big age difference for George and Mary Jane so wasn't sure about them being husband/wife, think its more usual for a widow to marry an older man (as one of my ggg grandmothers did after being his housekeeper first and having a baby with him!!  :o)
Dunning/Downing, Osborn/e, Astley -Cheshire/Birmingham/Middlesex
Fanthorpe/Hall/Driffill/Storm - Lincolnshire
Bower/Woodward/Bingham/Pettinger/Shaw - Nottinghamshire
Shaw, Marland - Lancashire
Broph(e)y - Queens County, Ireland
Richards - Neath Swansea
Hunt/Fox - Lincs, Waterfield/Middleton - Staffs
Hart/Harland/Askew/Scales - Yorkshire
Brereton/Vickers - Cheshire
Gleaves/Sandford/Hulse/Hulme - Wolstanton/Audley Staffs
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 July 05 21:12 BST (UK) »
Death of James Dunn?
Barton upon Irwell March 1893 Vol. 8c Page 4*5 Age 73

Death of George Hobbs?
Wells, Somerset March 1893 Vol.5c Page 373 Age 27

I guess the only way to be sure of Mary Janes birthplace is to get her maiden name (from a childs birth cert or her marriage cert) and then she can be traced via the earlier censuses. I'll look her up on the 1861/71 censuses once you get a definite surname if you like....it seems a bit strange that for two decades the enumerators got her place of birth totally wrong, but both times within a few miles of each other.....

Regards,
Catherine  :)
ps. On the 1881 census you've got James Dunn, John, James and Elizabeth, but if you look at the writing, it says "Jas" for James, and for his son, its says "Jos" for Joseph, so that only leaves a query over Hannah/Elizabeth. Found a possible birth reg. for the right time for an Elizabeth, but not a Hannah.....wrong name put down?middle/preferred name?

Richards - Neath Swansea

Offline gene-genie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 July 05 21:35 BST (UK) »
Death of James Dunn?
Barton upon Irwell March 1893 Vol. 8c Page 4*5 Age 73

That looks like it could be the death of James DUNN b. 1821, doesn't it?

Death of George Hobbs?
Wells, Somerset March 1893 Vol.5c Page 373 Age 27

That's certainly possible - she clearly wasn't married for long.  She definately did marry George Balch despite the age gap  - as a living family member recalls that they did..... [he was born UBLEY, not S BREWHAM  re CW of July's Challenge - but may be linked in a way I haven't found yet]

I guess the only way to be sure of Mary Janes birthplace is to get her maiden name (from a childs birth cert or her marriage cert) and then she can be traced via the earlier censuses. I'll look her up on the 1861/71 censuses once you get a definite surname if you like....it seems a bit strange that for two decades the enumerators got her place of birth totally wrong, but both times within a few miles of each other.....

Yes, the Dorset/Somerset entries for her birth on the Census are confusing - I have just written to Manchester Reg Service to see if wedding I have in 1876 for Mary Jane BROWN is to a [Jas.] Wm DUNN 
or not -  FreeBMD gave two grooms and two brides in the same listing - but I live in hope  :)   Will let you know - thanks for all your help!

BRISTOL/GLS/LON:
DENNING -  RIDDLE-DENNING. & Glam TANNER-DENNING, MORGAN, THOMAS, RICE-ADAMS, RITCHINGS, PINGSTONE
DEV:18thC  RICE, Mary, ADAMS, CLARKE,STENTAFORD. MICHLEMORE.
HANTS: RICE-ADAMS, RICE-DEVEREUX-ADAMS (S'hampton), PIPER.  (Hants)
All GLS/Glam/Brks: TOVEY,  WESLEY/WASLEY, GLS/GLAM.  MARSHALL, PEARSON, GREEN, JAYNES  COOMBES, TOMBS.
LANCS: DUNN, Manc. BROWN Dorset
CHS: BROMILEY
SOM:  BALCH.
WLS:  MORRIS, MGY/DEN, WMS, GRIFFITHS,
WTS/Lon: SKUSE
BRKS/Lon: CHURCH. WAKEFIELD

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 July 05 21:56 BST (UK) »
No problem  :) Bit stuck on my own family at the moment without spending a fortune sending for certificates!!

While looking your Dunn family up, I noticed a John Joseph Dunn living (1881 census) as stepson with a Robert Marland (b. Ashton) his mum, Anna and family.......if you find a connection with this guy, maybe you could let me know. I have a lot of Marlands from Ashton in my own tree, including a few Roberts  :)

Best Wishes,
Catherine
Richards - Neath Swansea

Offline gene-genie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 July 05 22:23 BST (UK) »
No problem  :) Bit stuck on my own family at the moment without spending a fortune sending for certificates!!

While looking your Dunn family up, I noticed a John Joseph Dunn living (1881 census) as stepson with a Robert Marland (b. Ashton) his mum, Anna and family.......if you find a connection with this guy, maybe you could let me know. I have a lot of Marlands from Ashton in my own tree, including a few Roberts  :)

Best Wishes,
Catherine

Will  look out for MARLAND Links!   Unfortunately only Joe DUNN I have born Patricroft  (Barton District) 1881 - fetches up in Bristol 1901  living with wife Beatice Occ: Merchant Service....(my Grt-grt Uncle).

Notice you name interest DUNNING - assume you noticed my interest in the name DENNING?  All linked to Jas DENNING and Eliz MORGAN who married Bristol 1785.....

To the Elizabeth DUNN you mentioned earlier -  My Elizabeth DUNN ancestor was actually christened Mary Elizabeth DUNN  b 1884 dau  James Wm DUNN and Mary Jane  - but she never used the name Mary....  She was my great grandmother - married James Wm  DENNING  in Bristol in 1903.

Cheers for now  :)

BRISTOL/GLS/LON:
DENNING -  RIDDLE-DENNING. & Glam TANNER-DENNING, MORGAN, THOMAS, RICE-ADAMS, RITCHINGS, PINGSTONE
All GLS/Glam/Brks: TOVEY,  WESLEY/WASLEY, GLS/GLAM.  MARSHALL, PEARSON, GREEN, JAYNES  COOMBES, TOMBS.

Offline gene-genie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 22 July 05 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I can confirm that WILLIAM DUNN  died Jan 1889, aged 32,  at his home in Barton Lancs in presence of his wife Mary Jane (formerly BROWN)  so George DUNN who appears on 1901 must infact be George HOBBS, b 1891 the son of Mary Jane's second husband).

I can only suppose that she called him a DUNN in 1901 to link him to her as George HOBBS Sr had also died by then.......

BRISTOL/GLS/LON:

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 22 July 05 17:31 BST (UK) »
Nice to get a follow up  :)

So William didnt die in railway accident then.....

Did you find out whether she actually married George Hobbs? Maybe she didnt and thats why she gave son George her Dunn name...
Richards - Neath Swansea

Offline gene-genie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 22 July 05 18:29 BST (UK) »
Nice to get a follow up  :)

So William didnt die in railway accident then.....

Did you find out whether she actually married George Hobbs? Maybe she didnt and thats why she gave son George her Dunn name...

No, not an accident   William died on Pulmonary TB at the age of 32 - a great shame, but not at all uncommon.  Although he worked for Railway in 1881 his occupation at death was 'Carter',  so maybe he lost his job due to his increasing illness.....or maybe he was a labourer for the railway in 1881.

Again no, not yet - I must check for a marriage certificate for Mary and George HOBBS.
I'll have to look for George's birth Cert too as that will establish his father's name.
BRISTOL/GLS/LON: