Author Topic: Quaker History  (Read 4181 times)

Offline landej

• RootsChat Extra
  • Searching for ancestors since 1966
    • View Profile
Re: Quaker History
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 15:56 BST (UK) »
Yes, I wrote to them about 4 weeks ago. They say all genealogical enquiries are handled when they have time. I guess they haven't had time yet. Not complaining, just trying to stay patient. :)
Landers (Laois, Dublin, Mayo, Chicago, NZ......), McDowell (NI), Bass (Dublin), Boxall (Sussex), Marchant (London)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Quaker History
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 April 15 19:52 BST (UK) »
I always thought that George Fox's vision came to him when he was up Pendle Hill.

The Quaker records I am interested in (mostly north of England) seem to be split between Ancestry, FindMyPast and The Genealogist.

There is only a little in the way of overlap - an event in a Monthly Meeting might be in one set, with the matching Quarterly Meeting reference in another.

The detail, though, is much better than the CofE records of the same period, and the writing seems to be much clearer. Quakers have always put great value on education.

To read the marriage vows made by a couple, carefully written down over 300 years ago, is quite moving.

Then you realise that the numerous witnesses whose names appear at the bottom of the page had attended an illegal meeting and were, in effect, confessing to a crime.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.