Author Topic: Henry Brookfield brick wall  (Read 8829 times)

Offline Old-Bonez

• RootsChat Senior
  • TURNER Jasper Mug c.1780. Friend of Jos Wedgewood
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Brookfield brick wall
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 April 15 21:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks all for your replies

Yes I'm pleased you deduced that they were not married cando. I had seen the birth details of "Alice Mary Drummond" before and suspected it. The fact that you have a "resource" that failed to find a marriage is the second hit. And the third hit is on her marriage to Norman Solah she claims that she is a spinster. I'm now happy to say that they never married.

Most of my info regarding actual dates I had stolen from other sites and yes it was second hand. I had no means to research VIC BDM unless I had deep pockets. The childrens births and later info I have already dug out and matched them with the families info. Your Henry Brookfield find of 1891 is my Grandfather.

I might be able to obtain a copy of this 1891 birth cert but I feel it will not reveal any details about his father that we don't already know or it's owner would have told me. (but I will check)

Now to look at cando's find of Henry Brookfield b.1856 West Derby ... Well buggar me!! Family search has a Percical Stanley Brookfield b. 1875 West Derby. The story of a cousin may be correct after all. The Wikipedia link in the earlier posting gives a birth at Wavertree which is only about a mile from West Derby.

Congrats cando you may be onto something.

Rob
Staffordshire: Turner, Emery, Hyde & Markland
Lancashire: Stirrup, Cloweth
London: Fountain,
Devon: Devonshire, Webb
Stirling: Wingate, 
Australia: Fountain, Turner, Solah, Paskins, Brookfield, Cowle, Trondsen

Offline c more

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 02:46 BST (UK) »
Sorry Rob
But I don't think it is that simple.
A Henry BROOKFIELD ba 1856 Liverpool (which is covered by West Derby Dist) is shown on the census 1861 through to 1911. Your Henry BROOKFIELD was in Melbourne by 1887/1888.

West Derby covers a large area and there are many BROOKFIELD's on the free BMD.
http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Cheers Leonie

NATT: Kent & Australia
HOUGH: Derbyshire & Australia
SEYMOUR: Chelsea London & Australia
AISH: Dorset & Australia
WALTERS/WALTER: South Australia & Victoria

Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 03:24 BST (UK) »
There were two born in the quarter in 1856.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 05:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,
There were two Henry Brookfield persons in the 1892 Melbourne Sands Directory.

Henry Brookfield, 100 Fenwick St, N Carl.
Henry Brookfield, 54 Kerr St, F.

Gerry

Offline Old-Bonez

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 06:56 BST (UK) »
Things are never as easy as they seem to be.
"C more" says that a Henry Brookfield b. 1856 Liverpool was still showing in the local census till 1911 and "Cando" says there were two born in the quarter of 1856. It still looks possible that one made their way to Australia.

I have already started to search church records to try to put families together but there are many churches. I am only looking at Catholic churches at present.

Aussie1947 states that there were two Henry Brookfields in the 1892 Sands Directory. I believe that it is a double entry because the family had moved.
The "100 Fenwick St, N Carl." would be where son Henry Brookfield was born (2 Mar 1891 Nth Carlton) & "54 Kerr St, F." I presume was Fitzroy was where daughter Jeanett Maud Brookfield was born Aug 1889.
This does seem to fit together allowing time for Sands to do research & print. I have also found double entries in the Sydney Sands Dir so I may be over confident with my comment.
It is nice though to have the address of where my grandfather was probably born.

Rob

Offline c more

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 07:39 BST (UK) »
Sorry Cando but I have checked the original and there is only one Henry BROOKFIELD born Sep Q 1856 West Derby. The correct reference number is 259. 239 is a transcription error.

Using church records, combined with the census records is the best way to sort out which family is which.
Cheers Leonie

NATT: Kent & Australia
HOUGH: Derbyshire & Australia
SEYMOUR: Chelsea London & Australia
AISH: Dorset & Australia
WALTERS/WALTER: South Australia & Victoria

Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 08:46 BST (UK) »
Yes noticed that and I am on the track of another BROOKFIELD family as Cuthbert's [father of Percival] father was born Shropshire and unless someone has either of those Vic birth regs, how do we know when and where the father was born, and did he tell the truth about his age and place of birth?

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 09:39 BST (UK) »

"....I have plenty of information on his wife...... "   ie Sophia

Can you indicate what this information is please, additional to what is given / found so far here.

Might give some clue to Henry BROOKFIELD.

There is a naturalisation file for Kallil SOLAH at NAA, 1922.

Has birth dates for four children, wife is 56 years old.

At 1922...14 years at Cootamundra, 6 years at Barmedman, 10 years at Mittagong.

Offline Old-Bonez

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Wivenhoe & thanks for your interest.

My info on Sophia is that she was born 1867 in Melbourne to parents Charles Drummond & Mary Costello. Again I have no citations for this as it was pilfered from other places. Apparently she had a sister who died young.

NSW BDM 5343/1940 find of Sophia Solah d. 1940 Bowral (fathers name is Charles) I actually have a date for this as 7 Dec 1939 so apparently it took a month or so to actually be registered.
Buried in Welby General Cemetery, NSW. Her headstone says she was 75 which indicates a birth year of abt 1864. I have photos.

7 Jun 1918 on son Normans Army Enlistment she was living Berrima Road Mittagong.

As for Killil Solar ... There was some kind of scare where residents from certain countries had to be listed on a particular roll ... Can't remember the details of it so Killil and his entire family are found on that list. Possibly the naturalisation was a result of that.

From the years you mention Sophia would have been born ABT 1866.

Yes Sophia had an additional 4 children to Killil 1901, 1903, 1905 & 1906 all born Cootamundra. The 1901 birth (21529/1901) was out of wedlock and was under her previous partners name of Brookfield. All future finds are in the name of Norman Solar.

Working on your years it appears that Killil arrived in Cootamundra 1892 which roughly means he arrived in the town about the same time as Henry & Sophia. Possibly just before. Killil & Sophia would have left for Barmedman just after their last child was born in 1906 & staying until 1912.

Rob