Author Topic: Hotmail email attached to another  (Read 1311 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hotmail email attached to another
« on: Monday 27 April 15 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I wonder if someone could tell me how this has happened. I received an email from a friend and the 'sender' showed the name e.g. Mary together with another friend's name as though it was forwarded or similar. Thus it read from 'Mary, Pauline.'
I had previous correspondence with Pauline but this was a new email from Mary which when opened and scrolled down, showed my emails from and to Pauline a few days earlier. ???
How could a new email message be attached to an old one from a different person.
I have tried searching for an answer  but can't find one.
The two friends are quite separate so there is no connection whatsoever. Would Mary be able to see the Pauline's messages to me if she reopened her mail? I am just bothered if this happened with some business or private issue.
I hope you can understand the explanation of the problem  :)

Thanks

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Hotmail email attached to another
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 April 15 14:54 BST (UK) »
Oooh that is a strange one.

I don't have any experience at all with Hotmail.
Out of interest, are the other two, Mary and Pauline using Hotmail addresses too?

Is it the same behaviour if you open up hotmail in a different web?

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 April 15 15:49 BST (UK) »
Are you by any chance using an ipad? If you have several e-mails with the same heading it can look as though e-mails from different correspondents are all part of a thread.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 April 15 15:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trystan and Craclyn for the replies.
The other two people use hotmail also.

I opened the email on an iPad and thought it may be that and I then deleted the string of messages. I checked later on a laptop and opened the emails from my deleted folder but by then I suppose they had been linked anyway. ???

Mary's email was received 26 April and she was continuing a series - only about four messages which dated back to March.

Pauline's email was dated 25 April in response to one from me on 24th April.

Craclyn,
You may have solved it - although I don't understand it - but both sets had the same subject title  :)

Thanks

Heywood

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 April 15 16:16 BST (UK) »
Sounds like your IPad has it's knickers in a twist Heywood  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 April 15 16:34 BST (UK) »
Sounds like your IPad has it's knickers in a twist Heywood  ;D

Or me - the operator!
A while ago we couldn't understand why photos weren't getting to me from my family when they were being sent. Eventually, I realised it was because the subject heading was 'photos' and years ago I had put the word on my 'banned' list when I was getting very dodgy emails!

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 April 15 16:41 BST (UK) »
They are not actually linked, just shown grouped together. It baffled me first time I saw it too, and took a while before I figured out what was triggering the grouping.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 April 15 16:45 BST (UK) »
That's a relief, Craclyn. I was thinking it could cause all sorts of problems :o