Author Topic: Where Am I? No. 19 - Needle in a Haystack - Tudor House  (Read 18728 times)

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Where Am I? No. 19 - Needle in a Haystack - Tudor House
« on: Monday 27 April 15 14:18 BST (UK) »
I'm posting another one, because people are finding them quicker than I can scan!  ;D

Think this one will be elusive like WAI 12.  It's beautiful, but commonplace and most probably a Sainsbury's by now ::).   If nothing else, I hope people enjoy viewing the photo.

Take note of the chap and his two dogs.  His outfit is quite the country squire.  He looks like a chap in another photo, but the image is too small for a positive identification.

This photo is of the same era as the Clifton Browns, however it is larger in diameter and does not have a proof number so I can't say there is a connection.

I have enhanced the photo to highlight any features.

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where Am I? No. 19 - Needle in a Haystack - Tudor House
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 April 15 22:06 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I can't identify this house, but it is mock Tudor, probably built in Edwardian times.

I've got myself lost in the maze of various places and connections from the other threads, sorry!

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 April 15 22:28 BST (UK) »
I've been searching but my eyes have gone wonky now looking at so many stripes  ;D

I noticed one distinguishing feature of the house, each timber design on the 3 gables is different.  There also appears to be another building/wing just visible to the right of the tree on the right side of the photo (near what to me looks like, but probably isn't, a scarecrow  ::))

I don't know how the timber beams would be fixed on a mock Tudor house, is it possible they could have been removed by a later owner and we could potentially be looking for a "plain" house?
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 03:11 BST (UK) »
I do think this one will end up in the too hard basket as it could have changed considerably in a hundred years and it isn't distinctive enough to focus on certain features for searching purposes.

I hope it still stands as it is certainly bigger than your two up, two down and it does look quite a grand home.

You never know, if it still exists someone might live next door or recognise it having passed by on their travels.

Here's hoping anyway.

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 12:52 BST (UK) »
Are my eyes playing tricks or is that a church steeple/tower visible through the tree branches above the gable end on the far right?

S_L

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 12:55 BST (UK) »
I looked and Googled,Googled and looked, for hours last night.....Nary a sausage  ???
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 13:22 BST (UK) »
S_L,

You have extremely good eyesight - I'm sure you're right.

I had it in mind that I'd seen this house before and it was some kind of rectory  :-\

Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 13:33 BST (UK) »
S_L, there is definitely something in the trees, but it could be a chimney stack, either from another part of this house or another. It appears to be about the same height as the chimneys we can see.
What is that archway I have highlighted near the doorway?
The other part I have highlighted is a building that appears to be squashed next to the tree, is that part of this house?
Could this be two (or more) buildings. The two gable ends that are the same height belong to the main house, but does the third gable end  which is lower, belong to another building?
Are we looking at the front or the back?
It is quite a mystery!
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 13:43 BST (UK) »
"Are my eyes playing tricks or is that a church steeple/tower visible"

It's the 4th chimney stack.

Regards

Malky