Author Topic: Where Am I? No. 19 - Needle in a Haystack - Tudor House  (Read 18805 times)

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where Am I? No. 19 - Needle in a Haystack - Tudor House
« Reply #18 on: Friday 01 May 15 20:04 BST (UK) »
The post office in Chiddingstone (lovely picture s_l) is 16th century and listed:

http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/details/default.aspx?id=357040

which means that it probably has looked similar for centuries rather than be missing the end to the left of the gables as you stand in front of it.

So still searching.......

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 09 May 15 05:31 BST (UK) »
I'm so sorry, I don't know how I missed all these postings!  :-[

Some interesting observations about the house, but as I thought it's proving to be elusive.  Still a nice photo to be enjoyed and I'm certainly enjoying viewing all the beautiful homes that are dotted about the UK.  Just like stepping back in time, which is basically, what we are all about!  ;D

Thank you to everyone that has contributed on this thread, greatly appreciated!   :) :) :)

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline BrazilianBombshell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 09 May 15 21:04 BST (UK) »
This lovely Tudor house is bugging me.  Every moment I have I search for it....so far no luck.  I have'visited' so many places and am still looking.  They really are such beautiful photos,Caz.  I'd love to find one.  Well done to all who have achieved it. 
Davies - Brazil
Pooley - London
Preston- Lincoln
Martyn - Lincoln
Cannon - Lincoln
Griffin - Dorset
Poore - Dorset
Dickinson - Leicester & Dorset

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 09 May 15 21:58 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

I agree that it is not Chiddingstone, completely different. They are original timber frame buildings, quite a few of them in Chiddingstone.

The posted picture looks similar to a lot of the buildings on the Worth Estate nr Crawley. Also Worth Abbey which is on the estate. Not far removed from a couple of the other WAIs as well.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 11 May 15 00:49 BST (UK) »
This lovely Tudor house is bugging me.  Every moment I have I search for it....so far no luck.  I have'visited' so many places and am still looking.  They really are such beautiful photos,Caz.  I'd love to find one.  Well done to all who have achieved it.

I think this one is bugging quite a few people BB.  I also think finding WAI No 12, 19 and 20 will take a miracle, as they are more likely to have been destroyed over time and while they are beautiful, are not that distinctive to make identification easy.

Keep looking BB, you never know, you might stumble across one, fingers crossed anyway!  :) :)

Caz

Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 11 May 15 01:09 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

I agree that it is not Chiddingstone, completely different. They are original timber frame buildings, quite a few of them in Chiddingstone.

The posted picture looks similar to a lot of the buildings on the Worth Estate nr Crawley. Also Worth Abbey which is on the estate. Not far removed from a couple of the other WAIs as well.

John915

Hi John

I Googled Worth Estate, Crawley and a photo of Tilgate Park, one of the earlier identified WAIs came up as you mentioned above, so perhaps it is in the vicinity.

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 29 May 15 21:18 BST (UK) »
Still looking for this one  ::)  ;D.  Just bringing it back up the list hoping a fresh pair of eyes may be able to track it down.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline BrazilianBombshell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 29 May 15 22:37 BST (UK) »
Jool, I've spent so many hours on this one!  If only I was this dedicated at work!  Thankfully I'm now retired so my time's my own.  I've travelled many a road on google map, searched so many websites, I'm fresh out of ideas.  I can only suggest it's been demolished, or well hidden on a country estate (?), or possibly bombed in one of the wars. Not given up though, still painfully daily searching......
Davies - Brazil
Pooley - London
Preston- Lincoln
Martyn - Lincoln
Cannon - Lincoln
Griffin - Dorset
Poore - Dorset
Dickinson - Leicester & Dorset

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 29 May 15 22:52 BST (UK) »
I have tried all the more obvious search terms, mock Tudor, half timbered etc.  I wonder if the rear of the building doesn't have the black and white timbered effect, there may be a photo out there taken from the other side and we are not recognising it  ???

Keep at it BB, we'll get there in the end (fingers crossed)  ;D
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton