Author Topic: Where Am I? No. 19 - Needle in a Haystack - Tudor House  (Read 18733 times)

Offline DrDude45

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great minds... go unappreciated.
    • View Profile
Re: Where Am I? No. 19 - Needle in a Haystack - Tudor House
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 12 October 19 21:08 BST (UK) »
I've tuned this one up a bit. Hope it helps you find the place.
I just like to do photo restores.

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 30 July 20 20:29 BST (UK) »
Can I chip in Port Sunlight?
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 30 July 20 23:51 BST (UK) »
There are certainly many Tudor style houses in Port Sunlight, the problem is in finding this one.  ::)
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Friday 31 July 20 06:52 BST (UK) »
I think Cazza was going to get us a close up of the man. He has dogs, first I thought sheep, but perhaps not! by him so close-up of those would be good too.  In one of the windows in the main part of the house there appears to be something white.  Perhaps it is something like a lampshade  or perhaps it says 'The name of this house is XXXX and it is in Co XXXXX.  With the sharpening up of the photo am I seeing a line of hills to the right of the photo? 

The man looks a bit like one of the Queen's relatives with the tallish build and beard, sort of naval as well. 

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Friday 31 July 20 15:53 BST (UK) »
Just looking at this again, there are some variations of style which I hadn't noticed before.

The middle wing (the one with the front door) has its timbering down to almost ground level; the black timbers in the gable have a different pattern to the one next to it; the ground floor window is of a different style; and where it projects beyond the part nearer to us, the side-facing stonework looks rougher.

Would a mock Tudor house have been built to look as though it had grown over the centuries, or are we actually looking at a much older house which has been substantially extended?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Friday 31 July 20 22:57 BST (UK) »
The setup to me also looks like an old house has grown 'organically' as they say.  Parts of the additions are very close so that they would be easy to join to the existing structure.  Then there are the buildings to the right. 

Perhaps a dower house as the/a drive seems  as if it passes in front.  But perhaps to get to farm buildings further along. 

Also looking at man again he looks like he has puttees perhaps or jodhpur type trousers.

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 19 September 21 16:49 BST (UK) »
Dusts off a very old post

Could it possibly be?

https://britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101343254-nailcote-hall-berkswell

I'm going by the chimney stack and the description of 19th century brick additions at the back. Can't find enough to go on. I have read that it was restored so that might explain why some details visible in the original photo have gone.

S_L

p.s. haven't given up on 12

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Monday 20 September 21 08:54 BST (UK) »
Sorry, no. Nailcote Hall looks to be a Tudor building which has suffered the typical black and white treatment popular in Victorina times whereas the building under discussion is typicall for buildings built around 1910.