Author Topic: Help identifying uniform please of my uncle, Alfred H W Clark, 1900-1941  (Read 3238 times)

Offline misstinkerbell77

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello, I wonder if anyone could help with identifying this uniform please.  The man in the picture is my uncle, Alfred H W Clark, 1900-1941.  I previously assumed it was a Navy uniform (he lived in Portsmouth) but have been led to believe it may be a tram driver type uniform.  I am convinced there are numbers or a badge of some sort on the cap?!

I haven't found any Military records for him and am stumped.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Thank you!  :)

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help identifying uniform please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 May 15 09:25 BST (UK) »
Definitely something on his cap, possibly something on the buttons of his jacket as well. Could you post a higher resolution scan of the photo? Might then be possible to make out more detail.

S_L

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 May 15 11:49 BST (UK) »
The badge appears to be elliptical and all of the pics I find of Portsmouth tram driver/conductor hat badges are not. Also they are bright with brass. We see light reflected off the patent leather hat band so it would also reflect off the RHS of a brassed badge.

Certainly not navy.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline misstinkerbell77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 12:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies, it is appreciated.  I am uploading the photo again having rescanned it.  My equipment isn't the best I'm afraid, but I hope the photo will be somewhat clearer now?

Offline misstinkerbell77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 12:13 BST (UK) »
Hmm, not really a lot of difference there!  Not sure how else to improve the quality. ???

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Re: Help identifying uniform please of my uncle, Alfred H W Clark, 1900-1941
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, I think he's possibly Merchant Navy, he look's to have the anchor with possible crown above on his cap but I could be wrong  :-\

Frank.

Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline misstinkerbell77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hi, I think he's possibly Merchant Navy, he look's to have the anchor with possible crown above on his cap but I could be wrong  :-\

Frank.

Thank you for your input  :)  I haven't been able to find any military records for Alf at all.  His probate listing doesn't mention any occupation, the CWGC has him listed a civilian war dead.   :-\

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 12:37 BST (UK) »
I was about to post the same thing. I agree about the badge. I wondered whether he was a port pilot. However, crown and anchor badge points towards Royal Navy. At the same time, the jacket does not look like RN quality.

Added: I have a vague memory that ships pilots belonged/belong to Trinity House, an organisation under the Admiralty. Just a thought.   
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 12:56 BST (UK) »
Was he born in Portsmouth?

S_L