Author Topic: Dr.Gilson/Guilson Morgan CT  (Read 3526 times)

Offline Lorri Stute

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dr.Gilson/Guilson Morgan CT
« on: Monday 27 April 15 19:58 BST (UK) »
Good Day Everyone,  I am looking for a birth record if there is even one out there, For Dr.Gilson/Guilson Morgan born 1796 in CT   I have no Parents or siblings , what I do have is 18 Oct 1840 Marriage to  Eliza Jane Ives Livingston MI, then Married Fidelia F. Barrows abt 1848, He died 1 April 1876 in Newman Grove Madison NE  they have no records for that far back but they did find his grave stone which I have. 1850 Census shows him in Adam, Allen In.,1860 shows Clayton Crawford WI. 1870 same Clayton Crawford WI.  It would be nice to even just find his parents or siblings. thank you for any help

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Dr.Gilson/Guilson Morgan CT
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 April 15 20:29 BST (UK) »
This may be a wild goose chase, but I suppose worth mentioning...
According to online information, Mansfield, New York was formed from Little Valley, New York
Little Valley, New York possibly formed in 1818

Online book: "History of Cattaraugus County, New York"
"Pioneer Settlers and Landholders", Little Valley
Guilson Morgan Lot 24

Online book - historical gazetteer of Cattaraugus County, town of Little Valley
Guilson Morgan, Town Clerk    Years: 1824-25
Asa Morgan, "commissioners of highways".   Year: 1823?

Going back to the "History of Cattaraugus County, New York"
Mansfield, New York - the early settlement
Reference is made to Amos Morgan, who someone claims was the first settler.  He lived on Lot 33 in 1818 and moved to a different lot in 1825.  Around 1835 he and his family moved to Northern Ohio.  Mansfield's population in 1830 was 378 (not a large town).  In that year, the first log house was built by Amos Morgan; he also built a framed barn (the first one built).  Apparently, Amos Morgan had two sons who "became captains of steamers on Lake Erie."  A Timothy Morgan was also a settler.

Could this be the same Amos as mentioned above?
1850 Orwell, Ashtabula, Ohio census
Amos Morgan, age 51, Farmer, born Connecticut
Laura, age 55, born New Hampshire?
Samuel, age 30, Laborer, born New Hampshire? (maybe this isn't the correct family, as he should have been born in New York)
The value of his real estate was 3800.
Orwell apparently is located in Northern Ohio and down the road from Little Valley (a 2+ hour drive from Little Valley)  ;)

Could Amos have been Guilson's brother, or was it just coincidence that two Morgan men were living in (small) neighbouring towns around the same time?   Was "this" Guilson the same person for whom you are looking - there's a chance that I've been looking at the wrong Guilson.   :-\

Updates:
This site sums up some of the above:
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nycattar/1879history/mansfield.htm
and another site:
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nycattar/1879history/little_valley.htm
[I wish I had found these before searching/reading the above noted online books.]   ;)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 April 15 20:43 BST (UK) »
If you do an internet search for "Amos Morgan" "Little Valley" you will find sites that mention Captain Sanford W. Morgan; he was the son of Amos Morgan.  You might be able to determine if his uncle was Guilson OR rule this family out entirely.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lorri Stute

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 April 15 20:50 BST (UK) »
I will do that thank you I will let you know after I research what you have found   thank you :)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 April 15 21:04 BST (UK) »
When I read that Amos' son was born in New Hampshire, it started to look like this family (the one in Ohio) is not connected, but again, it's worth a try.

Best of luck with your search.  Lisa   :)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 April 15 21:22 BST (UK) »
One online tree:
Amos Morgan (apparently the one mentioned above in Ohio) had several siblings, including "Gideon" born c1797.  Nothing else is mentioned about Gideon.  Could Gideon be Guilson?

This Amos' father was Daniel Morgan, born 8 November 1779, Tolland, Tolland, Connecticut.

There is no mention of Little Valley/Mansfield, New York.  I don't think this family is the same one mentioned living in New York during the 1820's-30's.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 April 15 21:57 BST (UK) »
A Guilson/Gylson/Gilson Morgan was in Morgan Township, Ashtabula, Ohio c1830.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01f87/

Morgan Township is (using a 2015 map) about 14 miles away from Orwell, Ohio.  Could the Morgans have been cousins or related in some way?  Or, perhaps this Guilson was born in Ohio and had no connection to the Little Valley Morgans, especially since Morgan is a somewhat common name.

Note:  An online tree states Guilson Morgan was born 6 September 1796, Groton, New London, CT.  They state he resided in Little Valley 4 March 1823 (perhaps using the same material I found earlier - which may not be correct!).   ???

Offline Lorri Stute

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 April 15 22:25 BST (UK) »
Yes they could have been related, but as you say Morgan is common name from what I understand they came from Ireland will have to check that bit of info to see if it is correct.

Offline dolo_1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 April 16 23:01 BST (UK) »
I am a distant relative of Guilson Morgan, Nebraska through my Grandmother, Mildred Vogt, Daughter of Guilson Vogt from Newman Grove Nebraska.  We found the homestead filing of Guilson E. Morgan in 1881.  In it is says he's "...26 from Cedar Rapids, Nebraska".