Author Topic: Hacket, Jamieson, Geddes in Forglen  (Read 7195 times)

Offline Tom Wright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hacket, Jamieson, Geddes in Forglen
« Reply #18 on: Monday 07 January 19 20:15 GMT (UK) »
I'm comparing the signature of John Wright on his 1874 USA Naturalization form to his signature on his 2nd marriage certificate from 1890 (1st wife passed away).  I see similarities of writing slant, "John", "W" is written very pointy and finishes overtop the "r", crossing of the "t'.

Are they the same person? Comments appreciated.
Wright, Banffshire
Simpson, Banffshire
Donald,  Aberdeenshire
Hume, Aberdeenshire

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 07 January 19 20:44 GMT (UK) »
There are differences, but I see more similarities than not.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 10:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm no graphologist, so I wouldn't like to say for definite. Put it this way: the two signatures could be by the same person, which is one stage better than saying they couldn't be. All you need now is a third signature......

Any advances on John Wright the soldier? I'm asking because I do have several John Wrights in my tree, three local ones of the right age are known in 1841 (assuming he was about the same age as Isabel Simpson), all in Deskford and all Ag Labs: at Clochmacreich (age 14), Ordens (13), Greenhill (13). The Clochmacreich John Wright is known and a distant cousin of mine, is younger than recorded in the census, and can be discounted even though he was living in Marnoch in 1851. But the Greenhill John Wright (also a distant cousin of mine) was still there in 1851 and then disappears without trace, despite his schoolmate writing in the 1880s that he became tenant at Croftgloy in Deskford; and the Ordens John Wright simply disappears without trace after 1841. So two candidates for your John Wright, assuming he was local and of much the same age as Isabel Simpson. Bound to be others though.

Offline Tom Wright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Forydce,  I trying to locate a 3rd document with his signature but so far without success.  Regarding John Wright military records, I have send a request to the National Archives for any information on the following:

Catalogue reference: WO 69/172/194
Instructions: Soldier's Number 1643: John WRIGHT. Born Banff, Banffshire. Enlisted 1853 aged 21 years.

They have advised that  they will response by January 15th with the page results.  Hopefully this will give us more insight into this "John Wright".
Wright, Banffshire
Simpson, Banffshire
Donald,  Aberdeenshire
Hume, Aberdeenshire

Offline Tom Wright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 31 January 19 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Fordyce, I finally received the record of John Wright's military record from the National Archives (see below).  This "John Wright" seems to be the logical father of my gg-grandfather, John Wright b 1850 Marnoch, whose father was noted as being in the "12th Batt. Royal Artillery" in his baptism record. 

The military record notes this "John Wright" to have been born in Banff parish and age 21 years 0 months upon enlistment in Sept 1853 making his birth Sept 1832.  I then find a birth record of John Wright born 22 Sep 1832 Culbuchly Banff parish (attached).  Looking at a map, it appears that Culbuchly is not too far from Marnoch also making it likely this is the correct father of my gg-grandfather.  I find this John Wright in the 1841 census still at Culbuchly and then thereafter he disappears.

Any comments are appreciated.

Tom Wright
Wright, Banffshire
Simpson, Banffshire
Donald,  Aberdeenshire
Hume, Aberdeenshire

Offline Tom Wright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 31 January 19 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Adding to my previous post.  Since John Wright's enlistment papers show that he enlisted at Edinburgh in 1853, is it likely that he was living there at the time or was that the only enlistment location?
Wright, Banffshire
Simpson, Banffshire
Donald,  Aberdeenshire
Hume, Aberdeenshire

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 01 February 19 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Tom, I believe you've cracked it. The Enlistment details identify the enlisting soldier as John Wright born 22 Sep 1832 at Culbeuchly - cannot see much doubt about that. That Louisa Wright née Andrew was (still) there in 1841 right until she died in 1868 means there's no real doubt that the enlisting soldier is Louisa's son.

And, given the 1851 baptism record of John Wright citing his regiment, there's also no doubt the enlisting soldier is the father of your John Wright.

Regarding where he lived when he enlisted, and noting he seemingly wasn't around in the 1851 census, he could well have disappeared into the metropolis. I must admit I would have thought he would have enlisted more locally if he was around locally. It's possible he had already had a stint in the military somewhere before ending up in Edinburgh.

I think we mentioned before he was much younger than Isobel Simpson, although can't see why that would have any bearing on things.

But, to pique your interest, I've found out what happened to his brother William Wright!

He married Margaret Farlie - M-1864-732(Coldingham)-12 (this confirms his parentage).
He died 1900 age 70 - D-1900-732(Coldingham)-1 (look at the muddle of his parentage as recorded!).
Scotland's People references. Coldingham is in Berwickshire.
You'll find him and his family there in 1871, 1881, 1891.
Note in 1900 he's recorded as --- Army Pensioner.
Being an out-pensioner, he might have been paid his pension by the taxman, and those taxman records are available at Kew. Since he's doesn't seem to be around in 1861, he might have joined the army at much the same time as his brother.
I'll leave you to figure that out! If you can't see the censuses, give me a shout and I'll extract the information.

I checked up to see if I could see any connection with my Wright lines and my Andrew lines. I couldn't see any, although my main Andrew line splits leads going back with Walter Andrew the husband's line going back to Cullen and Janet Andrew his wife's line going back to places in Fordyce neighbouring Banff landward where Culbeuchly is (they married in 1730 in Cullen).

As for Wright, no connection that I can see.

But seems you've cracked the John Wright brick, and now you've another little mystery with William Wright. Good luck!

Offline Tom Wright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 02 February 19 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Fordyce,  Thank you for your reply.  I have added the brother William Wright to my family tree.  I see what you mean about his muddled death record in 1900.  His father is listed as Robert instead of Alexander, and his mother's maiden name is listed as Mintie (his grandmother's maiden name) instead of Andrew.  Since everything else about William Wright seems to indicate he is the correct person, I guess we can attribute the muddled death record to misinformation from the informant (William's son).

Maybe this is a family trait since I have found incorrect information in my research of the family in the USA. Someone in my family labelled a picture of Ulysses S. Grant in his army uniform in the 1860's as my great-grandfather (he was the 18th USA President).  No one caught this until several years after we publish a history book of the family in the USA.  :)
Wright, Banffshire
Simpson, Banffshire
Donald,  Aberdeenshire
Hume, Aberdeenshire