Author Topic: What is Gay Alice's address  (Read 2999 times)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A C age about 8! Whats next?
    • View Profile
What is Gay Alice's address
« on: Tuesday 28 April 15 06:55 BST (UK) »
Could someone with better eyes than mine work out what the address on this 1861 census form is?

I think it looks like Gumwin, but would like to be certain. The location is around Wendron in Cornwall, and appears to be the address of a farm, as the head is a farmer occupying 12 acres.

Thank you in advance.

A Chesters

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline SueTeakle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What is this address
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 07:08 BST (UK) »
I believe it`s Gunwin  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Hugs.............
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 07:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Looks like Gunwin to me.   Have also come across another farm written as Gunwin Nansmorrin which was Helston Wendron area of Cornwall.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Rhododendron

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 07:11 BST (UK) »
Looks like Gunwin to.me.

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 07:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your very prompt replies.

As I said originally, I thought it looked like Gunwin, but wanted to be certain before adding it to the records.

It helps to have other eyes look at something like this to be sure your eyes are seeing things correctly.

Again, many thanks for your interest and help.

AC

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 09:34 BST (UK) »
There is still a North Gunwin Farm in the area.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: What is Gay Alice's address
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 10:15 BST (UK) »
In the 6" 1888 - 1913 map it's shown as "Goonwin".

Regards

Malky

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 10:59 BST (UK) »
A Chesters, I called the current owner of North Gunwin farm. He said that the original name would have been Goonwin ( from the Cornish Goon = Downs ) but has become Gunwin over the years. He said there were at one time three farms all close by and within sight of each other. North Gunwin and Lower Gunwin, both still farms and East Gunwin, now a private house. Noticing Alice's surname I asked about that and he said that there is a Gay's Hill not far from his farm. I don't know if that will be relevant but could be.

As to the other names. There is an 1857 marriage for St. Gluvias, not too far away. It's for a Martha Blee to John Mollard, yeoman farmer of Wendron. Both are widowed so could fit with the ages on the 1861 census.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 05:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for that information.

I think that the change from Goonwin to Gunwin in the census could easily have come about from the Cornish accent, as heard by the enumerator. I have gathered from other posts elsewhere that that is fairly common.

Seoras, that information is absolutely brilliant. John Mollard was the farmer of 12 acres in the census. I have only just started on the Gay thread, so will follow that up later. As for the Mollard's, as they were Alice's employers, I had not thought of following them, but it would be interesting to see how they fit into the Gay's family, other than as Alice's employers.

Once again, many thanks for all your help. I would not have thought to call the owner of the farm, and being in Australia, it would have been difficult to find out the relevant information to do so, and for that I am very grateful to you for taking the time and effort to do so.

AC