Author Topic: Looking for descendants of Senff family in Germany and Info About 4th GGF  (Read 1366 times)

Offline maliburita56

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for descendants of Senff family in Germany. My 4th Great Grandfather's name (as we know it) was Casper (Caspar) Senff. There are many spelling variants of this name: Senff, Senf, Seneff, Seniff, Snef, etc. We were always told our ancestors were from Dresden, Saxony, Germany and possibly from the Erzgebirge area. He came to the United States in 1773 and the document says "family" but doesn't give any names or ages. He settled briefly in Trenton, New Jersey, USA and then migrated to Bullskin Township, Fayette County, Pennsylvania, USA. His Senff offspring have been mostly farmers, carpenters and blacksmiths.

We know nothing about his parents, grandparents, or his siblings and their families...Everything prior to his coming to USA is a mystery. I'm guessing his family was probably Methodist or Lutheran. My Grandmother was Methodist and I assume her Senff husband was.

This has been a 10 year brick wall for me and my two aunts. I have successfully traced my father's maternal ancestry in Germany back to 1450. Thank you for any help or information you can provide.