Author Topic: Church burial grounds in Todmorden and Hebden Bridge in 1954  (Read 1389 times)

Offline MaCenzie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Church burial grounds in Todmorden and Hebden Bridge in 1954
« on: Friday 01 May 15 15:45 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know which church burial grounds were still being used in 1954 and where I might get access to registers and burial plots. My Grandmother Lottie Wright lived in Hebden Bridge and before that in Todmorden. She died in Bolton in 1954 but was brought home [Todmorden or Hebden Bridge] to be buried. I believe she was  C of E and was buried in church grounds. Any info would be appreciated.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Church burial grounds in Todmorden and Hebden Bridge in 1954
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 May 15 16:06 BST (UK) »
For Hebden Bridge you could contact these folks:
http://www.hebdenbridgehistory.org.uk/gravestones/index.html

She doesn't seem (to me) to be listed in their index of inscriptions, but perhaps they could tell you which burial ground(s) would have still been used in 1954.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~todmordenandwalsden/
 - there is some information on graveyards in the Todmorden area here, including some lists of gravestones.

Even if you can't find her in these lists, maybe you can find some relatives, and then try and find actual burial registers for the same location.  (presuming she was buried in a family plot or at least in the same churchyard as other family)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Church burial grounds in Todmorden and Hebden Bridge in 1954
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 May 15 17:48 BST (UK) »
Malcolm Bull's Calderdale companion (just type it in)would seem to me to be the best help. Some - such as Shore Baptist Chapel - were still in use then, I know. I'm pretty sure Christ Church would still be in use then, but don't think there are many spaces anywhere now. Mankinholes / Lumbutts, up above Todmorden on the way to Hebden Bridge is currently being discussed with a view to redevelopment, I think, so get in quick, just in case - although I think that may be mainly non-conformist, I suspect for some time it's taken more than those.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)